• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Babcock speaks out (in a very good way)

Rate this topic

"There's a way to play to be successful, we know it," Babcock said. "But until we get our head around doing it, we're not going anywhere."

"There gets to be a point in your season where you got to decide, if you think you're a championship-caliber team, that there's a right way to play. Unless you get 23 guys doing it the same way and wanting to do it, nothing's going to happen."

AMEN Baby! Let's Go! Light a fire :siren:

Bout Time!

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/03/red_wings_coach_mike_babcocks.html

sounded like Zetterberg is not motivated

Exactly. The wings blow a 3 goal third period lead, and he is making up excuses like that? And this is the heir to the captaincy? Doesn't sound good at all, oh well I guess those big contracts will do that too you

sounded like Zetterberg is not motivated

Exactly. The wings blow a 3 goal third period lead, and he is making up excuses like that? And this is the heir to the captaincy? Doesn't sound good at all, oh well I guess those big contracts will do that too you

You get that from one quote? He's not motivated because of his big contract?

I think Zetterberg is overly optimistic in a lot of the quotes I read from him in the press, but in principle I agree with him. The Wings are a puck possession team. When that's working, being "fancy" is the right play. But when they're off, it suddenly seems cute and lazy. It's not that simple to just say they were being too cute with the puck.

My main thing is when the puck possession isn't working, particularly when they're being aggressively forechecked, they need to be able to transition to a successful grinding game like Babcock is talking about. It's why in a lot of their off games, the 3rd and 4th lines ending up looking the best because they tend to play that style anyways. When the skill play isn't working, their persistence in trying to rely on talent does seem like they're not willing to compete highly to win.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Besides the LA game this westcoast roadtrip was piss poor. I hope Babs can do something about it cause I don't see things changing. With playoffs looming more and more around the corner I'm getting nervous....

they still didnt play the whole game and broke down at the end, so i that game was piss poor 2

they still didnt play the whole game and broke down at the end, so i that game was piss poor 2

true but we did pop in 7 and got the 2 points is which what counts during the regular season....

We have won once in regulation in our last 17 games vs. the West. thats pretty pathetic, especially given the talent on this team.

this is very sad considering the talent we have yes. Our team overrated much?

My main thing is when the puck possession isn't working, particularly when they're being aggressively forechecked, they need to be able to transition to a successful grinding game like Babcock is talking about. It's why in a lot of their off games, the 3rd and 4th lines ending up looking the best because they tend to play that style anyways. When the skill play isn't working, their persistence in trying to rely on talent does seem like they're not willing to compete highly to win.

Exactly! This has been their problem for a long time. When the puck-possesion isn't working, they just keep trying to play the same style. Regular season or playoffs. That's why they've looked so bad in some of their playoff losses. No desperation, no change of style, disappointing early exit. It would be great to see a team that can play both styles as needed.

The Datsyuk for Captain thread may have some truth to it. Nobody on the team trains and works harder than Datsyuk, and in my opinion the guy is a freaking genius on and off the ice. I have done a lot of reading on him.

"Oh no, boys, put those away. Pucks won't be necessary for this practice."

Worked like a charm for my old team. <_<

Worked for a few games after the Wings slumped last time too. Keep it coming Babs.

Agreed.

To many of us it appears that the puck possession style of play is much more challenging to execute once the playoffs begin...Opponents aren't gonna give the Red Wings the time, and space for their style of game...If we think we're playing piss poor now (especially in our own end) just wait until mid April; hopefully by then the persistant issues have been taken care of, and our D is capable of getting the puck outta our own end in a more efficient manner.

The puck possession requires skill, which our players have, but also to be consistent with their efforts and have good hockey sense. Something which our players our lacking, IMO, compared to the mid 90s teams to the early 00s teams.

I think everyone has noticed this season our passing has not been sharp as it usually is from the top players down. There are times I seen passes even on the break out that are in skates, behind or in front of players and that is a key part to the puck possession style. If passing is decent the puck possession style can work sometimes but not all the time.

I guess that's just something we have to get use to in this cap era.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Guest Hatethedrake!

It seems to me this year, Babs says what the players need to do in order to be successful but they do the opposite. I read the comments Babs makes and he is bang on. But the players do not execute it. I can handle the Wings losing. The early 80s I was quite used to it. But making mediocre teams look like the 77 Habs makes me want to vomit. If they do their best and try their best and still lose to the better team than so be it. I can even handle luck beating us because sometimes you don't get the breaks. That's hockey. But the half assing is embarrassing. What point is there to having this much talent if they don't use it? Going into this season I was excited. We added depth, we were more rested. We were to be more energized and hungrier. It started out great but somewhere around the time Modano went down it was like the team hit the complacent button and now it's stuck. I am not sure it's that easy to flick on a switch in the playoffs and all of a sudden our A game returns.Talent wise we know what this team can do. But is the hunger, drive and determination there? Are they really willing to pay a price to go through 4 rounds of playoffs and put their bodies through hell? Right now I am not seeing it. How does team give up so many goals all the time? Why all the giveaways? What is with all the breakaways against this season? Alot of people get on Howard and he has let in some soft goals. But has anyone noticed how many breakaways the guy has stopped? How many saves he has made to keep us in games when we suck (like every 1st period it seems). I have alot more questions than answers that's for sure. Maybe it's so frustrating because we know how good of a team we are when we play to our full potential. We have not seen it all season. Will we see it? I am tired of hearing all the right things...we need to do this...we need to do that...well then f'in do it! Don't say it! Just do it! Rant over...

In response to the paragraph in bold; I honestly believe our teams in that era were consistently better partially due to the better overall skill of the team, but also from the coaching of Scotty Bowman.

Under Bowman - many players were dressed for the game, but sat for long periods of time due to their screw-ups...I don't get the impression Babcock has the same philosophy; we see the same players making the same mistakes over, and over <_<

I also get that impression as well but I think the cap also comes into play with having the luxury to allow other players a chance to play when others are struggling. Maybe it's just wishful thinking that Babs would sit players if not for the cap.

Didn't we hear this speech last month as well from the players and coaching staff? They can turn it around for a game or two but after that bad habits come creeping in again and they are back to square one.

It's at the point where we need to start seeing results on the ice. Other than Babcock, it seems like the team is just a tad complacent. Apparently even they don't know how to fix it.

We just have to hope that they have the "On" switch they've had in the past.

We got 60% of the points on the recent trip, equating that over a full season comes out to 98 points. Not bad, it's a 5th seed in the West. Obviously we need to play better than a 5th seed, but all things considered, picking up 60% of points on a road trip is quite good.