• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

Nicklas Lidstrom hoists another Stanley Cup, and then a few days later, wins his seventh Norris Trophy (best defenseman) and maybe even is a finalist for the Hart Trophy (MVP) … Then he heads to Sweden and announces his retirement.It would be an ideal way to end his legendary career.But what if the Wings don't win the Stanley Cup?

Lidstrom likely will still win the Norris Trophy. But what does he do this offseason when his contract runs out?

The guess is Lidstrom, who'll be 41 on April 28, will return. The reasons: The Red Wings still are Stanley Cup contenders.

The Lidstroms like living in Metro Detroit.

And, there's a carrot dangling in front of Lidstrom — tying Bobby Orr with eight Norris Trophies.

While Lidstrom is the most important potential unrestricted free agent for the Red Wings, there are others.

detnews
Interesting look at the possibilities this off season. We all know he would return if he does come back next season, which at the level he can play I don't see why he doesn't play another few seasons. Just all depends on the situation with his kids in Sweden I am sure.

Edited by HankthaTank, 08 March 2011 - 12:40 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#2 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

There was a post on here the other day that quoted him saying. He will play as long as he is a top 4 d-man.

I hope he stays for a couple more years.

Edit:
Here is the earlier thread with the quote...
http://www.letsgowin...w-this-morning/

Edited by Rick D, 08 March 2011 - 01:15 PM.

Eff Chicago

#3 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

At the rate he is playing this year, and with the team the Wings will have next fall, I can't see him not returning. But ultimately the NHL season is a grind and we don't know how emotionally drained Lidstrom will feel at the end of this season. Personally, I don't think he is the type that would walk away from the game when he is still so dominant. Despite his calm and quiet demeanor he's such a competitor and I really do think he'll be back even if they win the cup. But that's just my opinion.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

There was a post on here the other day that quoted him saying. He will play as long as he is a top 4 d-man.

He has actually said something similar to that is a couple different interviews in the last couple months. He made it sound like, as long as he feels he is still playing as good as he wants to, and is still getting get tons of ice time on the top lines, then he will keep playing until he doesn't..

Which is reassuring, because he is looking really good this season.

Edited by sleepwalker, 08 March 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#5 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

He has actually said something similar to that is a couple different interviews in the last couple months. He made it sound like, as long as he feels he is still playing as good as he wants to, and is still getting get tons of ice time on the top lines, then he will keep playing until he doesn't..

Which is reassuring, because he is looking really good this season.

I'm trying to think of a season when he didn't look good lol. Last year would've been one of his so called worst seasons and he was still a top 5 d man in the league.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#6 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

I hope he stays for a couple more years.

Edit:
Here is the earlier thread with the quote...
http://www.letsgowin...w-this-morning/

Well then, I guess he is just going to become the **** Clark of defensemen because I don't see that changing for a loooonnnngg time.

Ken Holland would be happy too, since he won't have to think about retirement either (seeing as he's jokingly said in the past, he'll retire when Nick does).

#7 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

Agreed. If it's based on him being a top 4 d-man, we shouldn't worry about Nick going anywhere for quite a little while here. Just consistently one of the best conditioned, best prepared, and just simply the best. Perfect Human....no more fitting of a nickname has been attached to someone.

#8 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

There's a few angles we need to look at too here, his son moved to Sweden and is organized with his grandparents right now. Did Nick have any agreements that he would meet with his son the following year, like "I'll play this last season and then i'm coming home to you, in the meantime please stay with your grandparents and allow me to do this for me." We all know Nick is able to return and play at NHL level above and beyond, but we need to put his real life infront of the sport also. Do I believe he'll return next year? Not if we win the cup, I think he'll pack his bags and leave on a good note. If we don't win the cup? Depends on our offseason pickups and whom's returning, if we have enough cap space and these new young guys emerge I could see him coming back. Depends if the motivation and family is there, I would love to hold on to him as long as possible but I also felt this way to Stevie also. It's hard to see them go, completely different stories, but damnit.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#9 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

There's a few angles we need to look at too here, his son moved to Sweden and is organized with his grandparents right now. Did Nick have any agreements that he would meet with his son the following year, like "I'll play this last season and then i'm coming home to you, in the meantime please stay with your grandparents and allow me to do this for me." We all know Nick is able to return and play at NHL level above and beyond, but we need to put his real life infront of the sport also. Do I believe he'll return next year? Not if we win the cup, I think he'll pack his bags and leave on a good note. If we don't win the cup? Depends on our offseason pickups and whom's returning, if we have enough cap space and these new young guys emerge I could see him coming back. Depends if the motivation and family is there, I would love to hold on to him as long as possible but I also felt this way to Stevie also. It's hard to see them go, completely different stories, but damnit.

See, I don't understand why everyone thinks that if the Wings win the Cup this year he'll retire.

Let's think about it this way:

1) You just won the Cup. AGAIN.

2) You still feel like you can compete in the NHL at the very least as a #2 defenseman, and the organization still has a tremendous amount of faith in you.

3) You've said in interviews that as you keep winning Cups, the desire to get there again is even greater than it was in the past.

4) Your team isn't going to be another Chicago; literally every guy on the team is either easy to replace with guys in GR, or is signed long-term.

It's just one of those things that I think too many people assume because it would be a "nice end to the story". Most athletes don't care about that kind of stuff. Most athletes care about making money and playing the game they love while still being competitive. Lidstrom has never said that he'd end his career if the Wings won another Cup, and everything that he's said leads me to believe that if the Wings did win another Cup, he'd be even more likely to come back.

#10 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

He's only allowed to retire when he has 7 Stanley Cups and 9 Norris Trophies...because I say so.
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#11 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

Assuming Lidstrom wins the Norris, has there ever been an NHL player to retire after winning an individual major award? Honest question.

I think Lidstrom plays such a low effort game that he still has another two years in him if he wants to keep playing. if Kronwall showed any ability to be a #1 DMan, I'm sure Lidstrom's retiring choice would be so much easier, but I'm assuming he doesn't want to leave the DRW SOL.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#12 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

Hope he dose not ask for 6 mil agian....
Posted Image

#13 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

I am reminded of something that was said about George Washington when he chose to leave the presidency after serving two terms -- "Part of grace is knowing when to leave." Nick doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would stick around long past his shelf life just to say that he was still playing. He's very much cut from the same cloth that Steve was, and Steve knew when it was time to step down, and he did.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#14 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

I hope he does not dose anything worth 6 mil. But when you're winning a trophy for the NHL's best defensemen and there are NHL DMen making 7+ mil a season, you can ask for whatever you want. Lidstrom is currently top 3 in points as a DMan, who cares if he wants 6mil plus, we need him.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#15 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

Nicklas Lidstrom is never allowed to retire.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 08 March 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#16 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

Assuming Lidstrom wins the Norris, has there ever been an NHL player to retire after winning an individual major award? Honest question.

I think Lidstrom plays such a low effort game that he still has another two years in him if he wants to keep playing. if Kronwall showed any ability to be a #1 DMan, I'm sure Lidstrom's retiring choice would be so much easier, but I'm assuming he doesn't want to leave the DRW SOL.

Ken Dryden retired at the age of 31 after winning his 6th Stanley Cup in 8 years and a Vezina that year to become a lawyer.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#17 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

Ken Dryden retired at the age of 31 after winning his 6th Stanley Cup in 8 years and a Vezina that year to become a lawyer.

Well that's different, Montreal low-balled him out of there and wouldn't give him a raise after being amazing.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#18 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:42 PM

Well that's different, Montreal low-balled him out of there and wouldn't give him a raise after being amazing.

He's an extremely unique case - pretty much his entire career (winning a Conn Smythe the year before winning the Calder).
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#19 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

You have asked this before but I am sure plenty have retired after winning something like a Cup or an individual award. Assuming you are talking about the Norris, I don't think that would be enough to retire for Nick especially knowing he can probably notch his 8th and 9th pretty soon after Posted Image

#20 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Even the 6 million was a cut from his last contract, right? And he has looked better this season. You can't have it both ways, he was never low-balled himself as far as I'm aware of, I don't see that continuing.

Look at it this way, could you spend the 6 million any better? When you ask that, it starts to look more like the discount it is.