• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HankthaTank

Nicklas Lidstrom likely will be Red Wing next season, too

Rate this topic

Hope he dose not ask for 6 mil agian....

For serious? If there's anyone on this team who's earned the right to get paid whatever they ask for, it's Nick Lidstrom. The man has taken one paycut after the other to stay a Red Wing, with everyone knowing if he played on some other team, he'd probably get 2-3x that amount. He wants to play here, so he takes less than he deserves and especially less than he's earned.

llitch should just hand him a blank check and tell him to fill in the appropriate numbers.

I am reminded of something that was said about George Washington when he chose to leave the presidency after serving two terms -- "Part of grace is knowing when to leave." Nick doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would stick around long past his shelf life just to say that he was still playing. He's very much cut from the same cloth that Steve was, and Steve knew when it was time to step down, and he did.

I definitely agree that Lidstrom doesnt seem like the kind of guy to stick around past his shelf life. But I don't think that's the question here. The real question is when does his shelf life expire? Because it sure as hell hasn't yet. Another question to think about is would Lidstrom be willing to walk away with plenty of shelf life remaining? He has a lot of gas left in the tank. He has consistently been excellent this season and shows no signs of slowing right now. If he returns next year it's soley based on his desire to play; not his capability to continue playing.

Jebus... the guy said he hopes Lidstrom doesn't ask for 6 million. Frankly so do I. He never said he wasn't worth it. Put away the uzis. Wow...

It doesn't change the absurdity of the comment.

That would be like me saying, "Gee, I hope Dats doesn't ask for $3 million per for his next contract." It just as ridiculous as Lidstrom asking to play for what any rational person knows to be peanuts. So the point is....why even say it?

It doesn't change the absurdity of the comment.

That would be like me saying, "Gee, I hope Dats doesn't ask for $3 million per for his next contract." It just as ridiculous as Lidstrom asking to play for what any rational person knows to be peanuts. So the point is....why even say it?

How is it absurd to hope when the outcome is unknown? He could very well ask for less than you think he deserves 'just because'. The only thing bordering absurd is your willingness to squash hope. You hope squasher.

Don't you have enough power on this board? Now you wanna police hope too? :ph34r:

Guest mjtm77

I said I hope he dosent ask for 6 mill and that he takes a hometown discount whats wrong with that? we could use some spare money. Its not like I said he is not worth 6 mill some of you guys get so offended when people say something about Lids.

I said I hope he dosent ask for 6 mill and that he takes a hometown discount whats wrong with that? we could use some spare money. Its not like I said he is not worth 6 mill some of you guys get so offended when people say something about Lids.

No, you just said you hope he doesn't ask for 6 million, which leads to a lot of ways your statement could be interpreted. If you would've said the additional in your first response, nobody would've probably jumped on your case.

:nonono: Jesus!

These comments blow my mind. Its so easy for anyone here to talk about money when its not theirs. Any team in their right mind would pay upwards of $7.5-$8 million per for a Norris Defenseman in the NHL, yet people ***** because they feel Nick (who's taken paycut after paycut) should make even less than $6. Get real people.

Maybe they would rather have Blake or Kessel for 5 mil.....

Guest mjtm77

No, you just said you hope he doesn't ask for 6 million, which leads to a lot of ways your statement could be interpreted. If you would've said the additional in your first response, nobody would've probably jumped on your case.

u cant hope someone takes a discount?

u cant hope someone takes a discount?

Of course you can.

But given that Lidstrom is one of the best players in the league, and one of the best Red Wings of all time, and how plenty of people acted beyond stupid in here that he re-signed for too much when he still took a pay cut and could've easily made more on the open market (not that he was going anywhere, mainly just showing my point that he still took less money), people are going to act a little more touchy when it's one of your team's best players.

Hence, being more descriptive in your first response, which would've saved you a lot of grief.

Guest mjtm77

Of course you can.

But given that Lidstrom is one of the best players in the league, and one of the best Red Wings of all time, and how plenty of people acted beyond stupid in here that he re-signed for too much when he still took a pay cut and could've easily made more on the open market (not that he was going anywhere, mainly just showing my point that he still took less money), people are going to act a little more touchy when it's one of your team's best players.

Hence, being more descriptive in your first response, which would've saved you a lot of grief.

I could care less people on this board pull s*** out of there ass just to make an argument. People freak s*** and say the wings suck when we go on little loosing streaks. some of the people on this board are a joke

I could care less people on this board pull s*** out of there ass just to make an argument. People freak s*** and say the wings suck when we go on little loosing streaks. some of the people on this board are a joke

That's all fine and well, just don't get butthurt either like you did when people jump on your case on something when you aren't specific enough and people don't understand you.

Guest mjtm77

That's all fine and well, just don't get butthurt either like you did when people jump on your case on something when you aren't specific enough and people don't understand you.

pretty sure iam not getting butthurt wtf just asked how hopeing he would take a big discount to make the team better is a bad thing

Hm...well, let's look at it this way. If you're employed by a company for twenty years making good money, and the company has treated you well over the years, would you suddenly take a 80% pay cut just to help the company out? Even though you like the company and want to keep working with them, and are even willing to take some pay cut, I highly doubt you'd go for a MAJOR cut, either, as long as you felt you still worked well enough to earn more.

Hm...well, let's look at it this way. If you're employed by a company for twenty years making good money, and the company has treated you well over the years, would you suddenly take a 80% pay cut just to help the company out? Even though you like the company and want to keep working with them, and are even willing to take some pay cut, I highly doubt you'd go for a MAJOR cut, either, as long as you felt you still worked well enough to earn more.

Comparing a salaried worker to a professional athlete is retarded. I'm not saying anything about the validity or chances of Lids taking a big paycut- I could care less, I want him at whatever price he deems fair- but don't compare him and his hundred million dollars earned with, say, a teacher.

Guest mjtm77

your comparison is stupid.