• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Chara's hit on Pacioretty

Rate this topic

I think Chara and Pacioretty's history is pretty mild at best.

Chara took exception to a slight bump at the end of a heated game and it sparks a melee...

Chara's not an exceptionally dirty player who's going to risk suspension to avenge a bump.

He's received the only disciple that he'll get. 5 minutes and game misconduct.

Which is appropriate for the hit.

Stop looking for excitement that isn't here in this game.

Are they rollovers or are they just loading up extra hard tonight?

I've never experienced them as badly as this evening.

History aside, it looked like intent to injure. Obviously if he was just going to rub him against the boards and Pacs hit the stantion, then I'd think other wise, but Chara made sure he actually threw Pacs into the stantion. Just look at the replay, you can clearly see him throw him into it. You don't need to be a dirty player to let your emotions get the best of you. look at Bertuzzi, he was never a dirty player and just that one incident will forever label him as a dirty player when we all know he isn't.

Hell, even LePuke wasn't a dirty player, but that one incident he lost his brain and smushed Draper. Players can have a relatively clean career and still do something dirty.

History aside, it looked like intent to injure. Obviously if he was just going to rub him against the boards and Pacs hit the stantion, then I'd think other wise, but Chara made sure he actually threw Pacs into the stantion. Just look at the replay, you can clearly see him throw him into it. You don't need to be a dirty player to let your emotions get the best of you. look at Bertuzzi, he was never a dirty player and just that one incident will forever label him as a dirty player when we all know he isn't.

Hell, even LePuke wasn't a dirty player, but that one incident he lost his brain and smushed Draper. Players can have a relatively clean career and still do something dirty.

Not that I don't appreciate A LOT of the video work that you do but, not that you've even broken this hit down, if you look at video hard enough, you can see whatever you want to see out of it.

The game is played in a speed faster than replay, screenshots, and slow-motion...

There are certainly a lot of players out there that deliberately make bad decisions or premeditated actions on the ice that lead to injury.

Other players also make split second decisions that involve injury whether there is intent or not.

As I said in the previous thread, I think Chara's received all the punishment he'll get. 5 minutes for interference. Game Misconduct.

I'll leave it at that...

Except to disagree and say that Claude was a terribly dirty player... although just like Chara's hit tonight, I'm not sure he meant to rub Draper out into the boards like that.

Edited by e_prime

this looked like interference and no more... i know this wont be a particularly popular opinion. this play happens once a year and everyone mentions how dumb the rink design is and then nothing gets done.

another link to the video since that ones gone.....

That was a terrible hit. Did he even wake up while he was out there? Chara knew where he was hitting him being by the bench like that. I understand there was momentum going with both of them but the way his head hit stantion was scary. My first thought was I hope he didn't break his neck they way he hit.

Not that I don't appreciate A LOT of the video work that you do but, not that you've even broken this hit down, if you look at video hard enough, you can see whatever you want to see out of it.

The game is played in a speed faster than replay, screenshots, and slow-motion...

There are certainly a lot of players out there that deliberately make bad decisions or premeditated actions on the ice that lead to injury.

Other players also make split second decisions that involve injury whether there is intent or not.

As I said in the previous thread, I think Chara's received all the punishment he'll get. 5 minutes for interference. Game Misconduct.

I'll leave it at that...

Except to disagree and say that Claude was a terribly dirty player... although just like Chara's hit tonight, I'm not sure he meant to rub Draper out into the boards like that.

this looked like interference and no more... i know this wont be a particularly popular opinion. this play happens once a year and everyone mentions how dumb the rink design is and then nothing gets done.

another link to the video since that ones gone.....

Agreed. When people talk about being able to tell he intentionally threw him into the stantion, I don't know quite what to say. He was trying to hit the guy, of course he's going to shove him.

I really hope Pacioretty is okay, but this was a pretty common hockey hit in a really unlucky part of the rink. And for the record, I f-ing hate Chara. But if not for the injury, he probably doesn't even get a penalty, maybe 2 for interference.

And off topic, but Turtle was absolutely a dirty player, even before the Draper incident.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I'm so sick of the argument of whether said player is a dirty player or not every time this kind of stuff happens. It should not matter whether Chara is a dirty player or if it is his "style", a dirty play is a dirty play and should be treated as one even if the accused player is a clean player. You Can't go and murder someone and then say oh yeah but it's not my style I've never done it before and get off the hook.

Agreed. When people talk about being able to tell he intentionally threw him into the stantion, I don't know quite what to say. He was trying to hit the guy, of course he's going to shove him.

I really hope Pacioretty is okay, but this was a pretty common hockey hit in a really unlucky part of the rink. And for the record, I f-ing hate Chara. But if not for the injury, he probably doesn't even get a penalty, maybe 2 for interference.

And off topic, but Turtle was absolutely a dirty player, even before the Draper incident.

He was against the boards, he could have just rubbed him off, but as soon as the stantion came up he literally shoved him into it. Chara is not a dirty player, but clean players have been known to have mental lapses.

But this thread is going to go the same way as all dirty hit threads go, pro enforcers don't see anything wrong, anti-enforcer see's the world falling down and then the general masses see it as dirty (the poll on HFboards is 60% to 40% calling for a suspension).

I'm sorry, but Chara needs a heavy suspension for that bulls***. He looks up to see where he was on the rink and sees the stanchion and throws him into it. It's bulls*** and uncalled for. I hope to god Pac's ok. That was horrific.

The league can fine tune the rulebook and tweak the rink designs over and over and you're still going to see players getting severely injured on borderline plays. In the end it comes down to respecting each other and hitting to make an effective play, not to injure somebody. Its a shame that so few players practice this philosophy.

I think by the replay, it's pretty obvious that Chara knew what he was doing.

Yep. I don't see how Chara could explain this away. It's not like he couldn't see the stantion the entire time. He obviously knows what's at the end of the bench (hockey rinks aren't exactly a mystery).

But hey-- Colin Campbell's clearly established that heavy suspension are only for scrubs. I'd be surprised if Chara gets more than 1 game.

It's obviously debatable, but I think 5 and a game is fair discipline. I think the reason behind the game misconduct was to just get him outta the game so they wouldn't have a scrum after every whistle with Habs going after Chara. I don't think any suspension is necessary here. Chara doesn't have a history of cheapshots and dirty hits. Was it ugly? Yes. Was it an obvious cheapshot? Not in my eyes. If anything, it was late. Then again, I can't imagine Chara had no clue where he was on the ice.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Yep. I don't see how Chara could explain this away. It's not like he couldn't see the stantion the entire time. He obviously knows what's at the end of the bench (hockey rinks aren't exactly a mystery).

But hey-- Colin Campbell's clearly established that heavy suspension are only for scrubs. I'd be surprised if Chara gets more than 1 game.

Not to mention that they have a history.

This could be wishful thinking, but will Campbell even be involved with this considering that it's the team his son plays on? Or is he prohibited in ruling on situations that only directly involve his son?

Those of you saying that Chara knew he was hitting him into the stantion are crazy. At the pace this game is played, Chara was simply trying to not allow Pacioretty to get by him and grab the puck. This was not a dirty hit. Interference maybe, but Chara certainly did not plan for this to happen.

I remember my days playing hockey, I hit someone the exact same way. It was not on purpose, I had no idea the stantion was there, but it was one of the biggest hits of my hockey career :yowza:

*The kid I hit was not injured