• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Chara's hit on Pacioretty

Rate this topic

Let The NHL Bashing begin.

Officially no discipline for Chara. :scared:

Makes me think that the NHL saw it as an either all or nothing suspension. You either say the hit was OK and give him none or you say it was intentional and give him a long suspension..

For those asking, here's statement from NHL's Mike Murphy who made the decision: "I conducted a hearing with Boston Bruins' defenseman Zdeno Chara with respect to the major penalty for interference and game misconduct that he was assessed at 19:44 of the second period for a hit on Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens.

“After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly -- with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards. I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.

“This was a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface. In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career."

Makes me think that the NHL saw it as an either all or nothing suspension. You either say the hit was OK and give him none or you say it was intentional and give him a long suspension..

Yup. They look at Chara's history and they see nothing outstanding, they don't believe he intended to hurt Pacioretty -- only to finish his check, see an unfortunate result... Done.

EDIT: Thanks for the Murphy quote.

I am surprised that because of the injury, Chara was not suspended... although I did say last night that all he was going to see was the 5 minutes and game misconduct.

Edited by e_prime

I think the conversation resulting this incident shouldn't be about players' respect towards each other or something like that. It should be about the way the rinks are built. There should be some kind of curve in the stanchion or no stanchion like that at all (if it's even possible). I mean, the way it's now it's dangerous as hell. If there would be a curve there that would continue outside the rink the contact wouldn't be as nearly as hard and lethal as it is now.

I think the only real solution to come out of all of this nonsense should be that obviously they need to do someothing more about the stantion than the like 3 inches of foam they have on it now.. at the speed this game is played at now it was only a matter of time because someone got seriously hurt from hitting one.

New buzzword: intent.

"What do you mean I'm getting called for tripping? I didn't intend to trip him!"

"High-sticking? I didn't intend for my stick to hit him in the face and I certainly didn't intend for him to bleed!"

And so on...

(Note: I actually sort of agree with the NHL on this one, since the intent didn't seem to be there and it was just a wrong place, wrong time kind of play.)

@downgoesbrown:

Think I feel the same about the Chara ruling as I did on Cooke: hate the hit, hate the result, but under the rules it may be the right call.

@buccigross:

David Steckle interfered with Sid Crosby and might have knocked him out for the year. And I didn't think he should have been suspended

@tsnbobmckenzie:

I am surprised to the extent that it was an illegal play (interference) causing injury and that usually results in a 1 to 4 game suspension.

But I recognized at the time many in hockey view it as a hockey play gone wrong with an absence of malice. Should have been 2 games, IMO.

And outside of any comments I make on TSN tonight - I will be on SC and NHL on TSN - I'm not engaging in Twitter war with anyone. Take care.

Oh come on, Bob!!

New buzzword: intent.

"What do you mean I'm getting called for tripping? I didn't intend to trip him!"

"High-sticking? I didn't intend for my stick to hit him in the face and I certainly didn't intend for him to bleed!"

And so on...

(Note: I actually sort of agree with the NHL on this one, since the intent didn't seem to be there and it was just a wrong place, wrong time kind of play.)

Well now you got it all wrong. There's a rule for tripping and high-sticking. Just like there's a rule for interference. Chara interferenced so he did deserve a penalty based on that, whether it was intentional or not. The injury resulting has nothing to do with it, because there was nothing else that broke the rules in that contact except the interference.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

I thought there would be a suspension for sure because an injury resulted. Not really disappointed there wasn't one.

I'm sure this sits well with Montreal and they won't be looking to exact revenge Gillies' style next time they meet. Nice work NHL, get ready for another concussion.

esteef

It's like I said before, who on Montreal is going to step up to Chara?.. I know I cheer for the little fragile old Red Wings but I would be embarassed if Hal Gill was the toughest player on my team.

And really.. Montreal and Boston already blew up once this season, and judging by how that went, why the hell would Montreal ever want that to happen again?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that glass between the benches not there in other arenas? You see my posts, I'm all about getting these kind of cheap shots out of the game, but I'm wondering if this is more on the Montreal Organization than Chara?

When players only have split seconds to make decisions, injuries from different arena designs shouldn't be the players fault. Having glass between the benches like that is dangerous, especially in the neutral zone, when players are more likely skating at top speed there than in the offensive zones.

It's like I said before, who on Montreal is going to step up to Chara?.. I know I cheer for the little fragile old Red Wings but I would be embarassed if Hal Gill was the toughest player on my team.

And really.. Montreal and Boston already blew up once this season, and judging by how that went, why the hell would Montreal ever want that to happen again?

You missed my Gillies reference :P , meaning some smaller skilled player will probably get drilled, probably by some Montreal call-up whats-his-name.

esteef

I think the conversation resulting this incident shouldn't be about players' respect towards each other or something like that. It should be about the way the rinks are built. There should be some kind of curve in the stanchion or no stanchion like that at all (if it's even possible). I mean, the way it's now it's dangerous as hell. If there would be a curve there that would continue outside the rink the contact wouldn't be as nearly as hard and lethal as it is now.

agree, that's a horrible spot for glass! There doesn't need to be glass there! The Joe doesn't have glass there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that glass between the benches not there in other arenas? You see my posts, I'm all about getting these kind of cheap shots out of the game, but I'm wondering if this is more on the Montreal Organization than Chara?

When players only have split seconds to make decisions, injuries from different arena designs shouldn't be the players fault. Having glass between the benches like that is dangerous, especially in the neutral zone, when players are more likely skating at top speed there than in the offensive zones.

These stanchions exist in other arenas and have existed in this configuration for years.

See jolly's post from the Pens/Sabres game.

I also posted a link from the Tampa/Boston game in which Lucic delivers a similar hit.

Needless to say, the league will be addressing this facilities issue in another four or five years.

I think the league missed the boat here. He should have been suspended. Every Hockey player knows the bench area is a dangerous area to makes hits, especially into a fixed obstruction. It wasn't to stop a scoring play, Chara forced his head into it. intentionally? Only Chara knows for sure, but he could have easily avoided that play and now a players career might be over.

Not really surprising though, it's easier to make sense of the WWE than the NHL on most nights.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nhl_experts__90/ept_sports_nhl_experts-623763854-1299687149.jpg?ymtrTrEDSKMu8pHG

Edited by Pucks

Not really surprising though, it's easier to make sense of the WWE than the NHL on most nights.

You know what the sad thing is, the WWE has done more recently to protect their players/wrestlers from concussions than the NHL. The WWE has actually banned some moves they can do.

I think the league missed the boat here. He should have been suspended. Every Hockey player knows the bench area is a dangerous area to makes hits, especially into a fixed obstruction. It wasn't to stop a scoring play, Chara forced his head into it. intentionally? Only Chara knows for sure, but he could have easily avoided that play and now a players career might be over.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nhl_experts__90/ept_sports_nhl_experts-623763854-1299687149.jpg?ymtrTrEDSKMu8pHG

How is Chara supposed to know the glass doesn't extend around the entire rink without breaks? This is obviously his first time playing in the Bell Centre.

Do we really want to live in a society where people are held accountable for their actions?

These stanchions exist in other arenas and have existed in this configuration for years.

See jolly's post from the Pens/Sabres game.

I also posted a link from the Tampa/Boston game in which Lucic delivers a similar hit.

Needless to say, the league will be addressing this facilities issue in another four or five years.

In the mean time we should expect the players to be aware of their suroundings when they make a hit.