• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Chara's hit on Pacioretty

Rate this topic

I found an interesting picture, check out the glass between the benches at The Joe. Why is Montreal different? Each arena should have the same design!

http://www.flickr.co...s65/2393939644/

I guess my point is, what is Chara used to, glass all the way to the boards, or back a bit?

What the hell is that thing in between the stanchions there?

The problem that I have with the entire thing is that there is no padding on the stanchion. Clearly Chara wasn't trying to run him into the stanchion but it happened. I think that it was just dumb luck the stanchion was at that spot when Chara pushed him into the boards.

The NHL says that they are concerned about injuries but they don't make the rinks any safer. Why the hell isn't there padding on the dasher boards so that we never see another Draper injury? And why the hell don't we use no touch icing?

And why aren't visors mandatory or skate fenders?

The problem that I have with the entire thing is that there is no padding on the stanchion. Clearly Chara wasn't trying to run him into the stanchion but it happened. I think that it was just dumb luck the stanchion was at that spot when Chara pushed him into the boards.

The NHL says that they are concerned about injuries but they don't make the rinks any safer. Why the hell isn't there padding on the dasher boards so that we never see another Draper injury? And why the hell don't we use no touch icing?

And why aren't visors mandatory or skate fenders?

There is a small padding but it's more about the angle than the softness or hardeness of the material. I don't know why the stanchion has to be right at the edge. Why can't it be like in the Creepierre- picture Barrie posted?

Between not suspending Demers for punching an official (accidentally or not, you don't do that when officials jump in) and not suspending Chara for his stupid, dangerous hit (again, accidentally or not), I've lost a lot of respect for the NHL's disciplinary "procedures", and I didn't have a lot of it to begin with. Chara's hit wouldn't be that bad if he didn't push Pacioretty and I wouldn't have a problem with just an interference penalty. There should have been at least a 1 game suspension for both incidents and maybe not more than 3. You f*** up, you should pay. Accidental or not, both those players should sit at least a game to punish their stupidity.

Bettman and his cronies need to go before the NHL goes from Laughing Stock of the professional sports in NA to somewhat legitimate. Disgusting.

Edited by commadore183

There is a small padding but it's more about the angle than the softness or hardeness of the material. I don't know why the stanchion has to be right at the edge. Why can't it be like in the Creepierre- picture Barrie posted?

I keep thinking, if Chara made that hit in Detroit, or any other arena with that design, this isn't an issue at all. Pacioretty probably would have just landed in the bench and we'd all be laughing at the youtube clip.

Edit: I keep mentioning the different arena designs, because of that I'm ok with no suspension on Chara. The arena and NHL are more responsible for this hit than Chara. There should be standard rules and designs to arenas. When guys only have a split second to make decisions, designs shouldn't be different. Guys make those split second decisions, based on what their used to, so things shouldn't be different when they're skating at top speed.

I'm actually shocked arenas are different around the league. This is the NHL, the best league in the world, not a rec league.

Edited by Barrie

Between not suspending Demers for punching an official (accidentally or not, you don't do that when officials jump in) and not suspending Chara for his stupid, dangerous hit (again, accidentally or not), I've lost a lot of respect for the NHL's disciplinary "procedures", and I didn't have a lot of it to begin with. Chara's hit wouldn't be that bad if he didn't push Pacioretty and I wouldn't have a problem with just an interference penalty. There should have been at least a 1 game suspension for both incidents and maybe not more than 3. You f*** up, you should pay. Accidental or not, both those players should sit at least a game to punish their stupidity.

Bettman and his cronies need to go before the NHL goes from Laughing Stock of the professional sports in NA to somewhat legitimate. Disgusting.

Noone is going anywhere as long as the league is making $$$.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

i was watching the game last night and i thought after the incident occured that it wasnt gonna be anything extreme....

again at the speed this game is going today is going so fast you really cant tell if he really intended too or not. i dont think he did, so really the nhl made a good decision.

at the same time it bothers me that some b's fans are going all out aboot it and think they are the better franchise and blah blah blah. its entertaining to watch but seriously, some people take it too far. :ph34r:

Like I've said on this board before, and to hockey fans I know, Commissioners should be like Presidents and only be around 8 years, maybe even 10 and that's it. We've been stuck with this moron and his ideas for 17 years now. It's time for some fresh blood and new ideas.

I'm actually shocked arenas are different around the league. This is the NHL, the best league in the world, not a rec league.

Yes... because every other arena and stadium in every other league is built by cookie cutter standards. :blink:

its bull the league did nothing. he broke his 4th vertebrae and serious concussion. heck his career could be over. all chara gets is 15 penalty minutes. bull

in the video it looks like he ran into him. they went against the boards and he put his arm up and pushed his head against the glass. the sad thing is also max doesnt know what happened even after, he is out cold. best wishes to him.

i know this has nothing to do with what happened in detroit, but seeing all the players around makes me remember the fischer incident

Edited by hockeychik25

Guest Shoreline

LOL Habs fans have been calling the po po over this...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AvKsAtxdcxiE_qLg3JxbvHV7vLYF?slug=ap-canadiens-pacioretty

Shortly after the NHL announced it wouldn’t take further action against Chara, Montreal police were inundated with calls from people seeking to file a criminal complaint against the player. A spokesman said police suspected the calls were inspired by a media outlet that suggested the idea.

The police spokesman described the gesture as “irresponsible”—and urged Montrealers to keep the emergency line free for actual life-and-death matters. “Someone in the media has been telling people to call the police to complain,” Sgt. Ian Lafreniere said. “This shows a serious lack of responsibility.”

:clap:

Air Canada threatens NHL

UNRISE, Fla. -- Air Canada, one of the NHL's largest financial corporate backers, is threatening to withdraw its sponsorship if the league doesn't take "immediate" and "serious" action on headshots, QMI Agency has learned.

In a strongly worded letter addressed to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Wednesday, Denis Vandal, Air Canada's director of marketing/communications, expressed concern over recent incidents of headshots and concussions.

The letter came in the wake of Tuesday night's controversial hit by Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara on Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty at the Bell Centre. Following a telephone hearing Wednesday with NHL VP Mike Murphy, there was no punishment for Chara.

"We are contacting you (Wednesday) to voice our concern over (Tuesday night's) incident involving Max Pacioretty and Zdeno Chara at the Bell Centre in Montreal," wrote Vandal. "This is following several other incidents involving career-threatening and life-threatening headshots in the NHL recently."

Vandal noted the controversial issue is becoming bad for Air Canada's brand.

"From a corporate social responsibility standpoint, it is becoming increasingly difficult to associate our brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents; action must be taken by the NHL before we are encountered with a fatality.

"Unless the NHL takes immediate action with serious suspension to the players in question to curtail these life-threatening injuries, Air Canada will withdraw its sponsorship of hockey."

Guest stinky fish taco

league got it right. no suspension necessary for that hit.

loving the new wallpaper, too.