• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Chara's hit on Pacioretty

Rate this topic

From TSN:

As players from around the league continue to voice their opinions on Zdeno Chara's hit on Max Pacioretty, San Jose Sharks centre Joe Thornton has taken a different angle in his most recent comments.

Speaking to the Globe and Mail, the usually-reserved Thornton suggested that Chara's club, the Boston Bruins, tends to receive favourable treatment from the NHL when it comes to discipline matters.

"It's just something with Boston," Thornton told the Globe and Mail. "It just seems like they have a horseshoe. We've seen the [Milan] Lucic cross-check to the head [of Maxim Lapierre] earlier, and there's no disciplinary thing."

From TSN:

But why wouldn't Gregory Campbell treat the Bruins the same as other teams?

Sorry, I meant Colin Campbell. Greg is the bruins player. Colin is the the league's disciplinarian. I get those two names mixed up some time.

Hmm, Colin campbell and Gregory Campbell, wonder if there's any relation? <_<

Edited by haroldsnepsts

My thoughts on the hit, Definitely interference, which was the penalty assessed, 5 min major for interference as a result of the injury, I believe the game misconduct came from the fact the refs felt the hit was avoidable. And that is the part I have issue with Chara's decision to follow thru on the hit, the hit was avoidable and unnecessary, both players were already out of the play as far as the puck was concerned and the hit had no meaning to the game. I believe Chara knew exactly where he was on the ice, and I also believe he intended to dump Pacioretty into the players bench. I don't think he intended to hurt him! I still believe there should have been a suspension for the desision to follow thru on an unnecessary hit!

Sorry, I meant Colin Campbell. Greg is the bruins player. Colin is the the league's disciplinarian. I get those two names mixed up some time.

Dunno if you're being facetious with your last line, but Gregory is Colin's son...

Where are all the conspiracy police to put a tin foil hat on Joe Thornton?

From TSN:

Commissioner Gary Bettman will be the face of the National Hockey League for a while yet, negotiating a five-year contract extension last November, The Globe and Mail reported on Friday.

According to the newspaper, the nine-member executive committee unanimously approved the extension.

The Globe adds that one of the biggest backers to get Bettman the extension was Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, who is the league's chairman of the board of governors. As chairman, one of Jacobs's duties is to keep the commissioner and the other key executives under contract.

Jeremy Jacobs is allowed to carry a lot of clout over certain matters.

Question is, did Chara intentionally mean to hurt Pacioretty?

Question is, could Chara have eased up on the play?

Colin Campbell is not allowed to a part of any disciplinary hearing/call involving Boston. Murphy (forget his first name) becomes the head disciplinarian in any case thereafter

I got through about a page and a half before I couldn't read anymore without posting.

A) If this happens anywhere other than Montreal the NHL doesn't have to deal with the threats of losing sponsorships

B) For the "he knew what he was doing" crowd...he didn't. By no means am I bragging but I know how the internet works; I've played junior a hockey - and in all honesty probably a higher level of hockey than most everyone here - and the game moves extremely fast even at that level. I can imagine how fast it must be at the NHL level. That being said, you don't have time to think on the ice. If you think you are dead in the water, plain and simple. The game of hockey is knowing where to be and sub-consciously knowing what to do in that situation. This is why goalies, and I know firsthand, have reflexes as quick as cats (thanks sports science!) or at least the good ones haha.

But you either have this, or you don't. And that's what makes the best players the best. If you were to personally ask Hank or Pavel what they were thinking when they made so and so play I would be willing to bet their answer would be I don't know. Or they are just gonna feed you the same lines of bulls*** they give reporters.

There will now be two sides to this if anyone replies. The people that have never played a game of hockey in their life and will argue to the death that he knew exactly what he was doing. And on the opposite end, the people that will agree with me as they have played hockey . I'm not trying to be a jerk by any means, it's one thing to watch and understand hockey but it's totally different to have played the game and understand it.

C) I would not have given a penalty, saw nothing wrong with it. But for the sake of it, let's call it interference.

D) Why can't we be friends?

I disagree. I played hockey up until I was 19 years old in the Swedish 2nd division and can't say I ever threw a hit without knowing what I was doing/where I was. Chara knew exactly what he was doing, I'm not sure whether or not he should have been suspended though.

I remember Forsberg did a similar thing some years ago. Anyone know if he was suspended for it (at 1:35)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRtrQ1YrCzw

Edited by Jocke

I disagree. I played hockey up until I was 19 years old in the Swedish 2nd division and can't say I ever threw a hit without knowing what I was doing/where I was. Chara knew exactly what he was doing, I'm not sure whether or not he should have been suspended though.

I remember Forsberg did a similar thing some years ago. Anyone know if he was suspended for it (at 1:35)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRtrQ1YrCzw

Aren't Europlayers soft anyway? hehe (Just Kiddin).

Colin Campbell is not allowed to a part of any disciplinary hearing/call involving Boston. Murphy (forget his first name) becomes the head disciplinarian in any case thereafter

Right. so on paper it looks like there's no conflict of interest, but we're talking about Colin Campbell, the guy who was emailing the head of officials about calls made against his sons team, allegedly as a "passionate hockey dad," not as the league's disciplinarian.

I don't think the play was "dirty" or "intent to injure"...it looks like the Montreal player got stretched out trying to get around Chara, they were sliding down the dasher and Chara pushed him into the boards.

Given this is MONTREAL, it's taken on a life of its own. If this happens in Atlanta or Florida, nothing happens besides the penalty on the ice.

If we are going to slow this down and take it frame by frame, the Montreal player has to know at some point, running into Chara is a no-win situation. He is in a bad position and out of real estate on the ice. Chara has the angle and the size.

"What are you doing to do the next time Trevor Gillies(notes) comes down and runs a guy into the thing? You can't give him anything. And you tell the guys [Chara] has no history, so the next time he does it he still has no history because he didn't get suspended. I don't see the reasoning behind it. Give him at least something to show that's not acceptable."

"I'll tell you this: if you say that you don't know where things are around the ice, I think you're not telling the truth," Sedin said. "You play the game for 20 years, you know it's there. It's gotten to the point, you have to suspend guys if you hit the head. You have to do it even if guys say they didn't mean to do it or it's an accident. You have to start somewhere.

"I don't think players know where the limit is. That's the bottom line."

From yahoo

This is what Sedin had to say about the incedent and I think he's 100% right. Players know where they are on the ice I have to believe that. They are not running around unaware of their surroundings after years of playing hockey. IMO I don't care of the intent of the play its the actions of the play and Chara put a player in a position to get hurt. You have to know not to ride someone into the boards in that area. How can you not know? Yes the game moves fast and these types of plays are few and far between, but that is because players know better. They know not to hit someone in these types of plays around that area of the ice because they have to be aware of the situaions if they where not people would be getting hit all the time.

Like Sedin is saying letting things like this goes just makes it unsafe for players and not drawing any lines. There is no message being sent to the players what so ever for plays like these. There is no room for biases, history or no history, there is only the action and suspension. The NHL has proven to me that they are unable to make correct decisions regarding these type of situations because they allow their "judgment" to get in the way. Their judgment means squat who are they to decide whether there was intent/accident these are unknown variables that shouldn't be held in the way of decisions. If they wanna stop these concussions/injuries from happening they need to make a hard stance on these wishy washy calls and make players responsible for their actions. Its about responsibility and if players cannot be responsible for themself then it needs to be reflected in suspensions and fines. They let this stuff go and it just enables players to take on their own actions, and fustrations from the league in the next game.

And for those standing up screaming this will make the sport soft this is rediculous accusation. There is physical play and being competative and then there is just stupid plays that get people hurt. Players need to stop with the stupid plays and start using their head before wrecking someones career. How in the hell do these sorts of things be allowed to happen inside sports w/no consequences is beyond me.

How can you not know? Well, maybe because the design is different in arenas around NHL. Just maybe.

Of course players should know every single detail of every 30 arenas while reacting to a play at the same time...

Every one of those arenas has a stanchion though.

Guest Shoreline

Interesting hearing Recchi's take on it with how Pacioretty was up and ok after 4 days or so. Montreal embellish? NOOO!!!

Recchi interview

Wow. That's crazy.

Crazy because he's speaking the truth. Careful Mark, they might call the cops on you.

I've had a concussion before, I'm pretty sure Recchi has too. If you're out five days post injury twittering and watching a movie and having a good ol' time, pretty sure that means you aren't that hurt.

Not that how Pacioretty was should have had any bearing on Chara's hit in the first place. The hit was not legal, it got punished already which thankfully was not a suspension but a penalty. I would say let sleeping dogs lie because this makes no friggen sense to embellish the way the Habs and their fans have, but it certainly makes for a good rivalry and I, for one, will be watching the next Boston/Montreal game which looks like it's tomorrow evening. :D

Edited by Shoreline

Wow. That's crazy.

Crazy because he's speaking the truth. Careful Mark, they might call the cops on you.

I've had a concussion before, I'm pretty sure Recchi has too. If you're out five days post injury twittering and watching a movie and having a good ol' time, pretty sure that means you aren't that hurt.

Not that how Pacioretty was should have had any bearing on Chara's hit in the first place. The hit was not legal, it got punished already which thankfully was not a suspension but a penalty. I would say let sleeping dogs lie because this makes no friggen sense to embellish the way the Habs and their fans have, but it certainly makes for a good rivalry and I, for one, will be watching the next Boston/Montreal game which looks like it's tomorrow evening. :D

Broken vertebrae means he's pretty damn hurt. A concussion of any level means he's hurt. Whether Recchi's calls of embellishment are true or not doesn't matter with regards to the hit; the hit was still an illegal hit that he should have been suspended for.

Broken vertebrae means he's pretty damn hurt. A concussion of any level means he's hurt. Whether Recchi's calls of embellishment are true or not doesn't matter with regards to the hit; the hit was still an illegal hit that he should have been suspended for.

I agree with Shoreline, the hit wasn't the cleanest, but I feel the league dealt with it correctly in not handing out any further discipline. The NHL can't make calls and suspend players based solely on the result of a hit.