• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#41 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

It was a pretty brutal impact and hopefully Pacioretty makes a speedy recovery!

It's tough, because had that been anywhere else on the ice, he probably wouldn't have even been hurt, as he would have rolled off and into the glass... I don't think this is suspension worthy AT ALL and just a VERY unfortunate event, basically wrong time, wrong place...

I think what needs to be looked into more, is the "padding" on the ends of the glass... the protection level is downright laughable and they're basically like the "padding" they used to use in gym glass, where someone would fall 2 feet off the rope and damn near break their tailbone... with all the impact absorbent foams and technology we have, you would think they would have a better solution in PROFESSIONAL sports arenas by now...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#42 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

Yep. I don't see how Chara could explain this away. It's not like he couldn't see the stantion the entire time. He obviously knows what's at the end of the bench (hockey rinks aren't exactly a mystery).

But hey-- Colin Campbell's clearly established that heavy suspension are only for scrubs. I'd be surprised if Chara gets more than 1 game.

Only one suspension in his career so far, and also one automatic instigator penalty taken away in last year's playoffs.

Chara gets off with a warning, Pacioretty will be lucky to get out of this without a serious neck injury.

This is why in games the league knows will be intense, hard-hitting and borderline dirty, they should put a "Pierre McGuire buffer zone" between the benches, so if this hit happens again, McGuire the only one hurt.

#43 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

Some of the B's reporters on local shows were saying that if this happens on the other side of the rink it is 2 for interference. I don't see the intent to injure here. I see an interference, Chara was beat, tries to body Pacs into the boards and the stanchion is there.

I don't see a suspension coming, would it surprise me if he got 1-2 games, no because I understand the heat of a rivalry/bad hit argument.

I just personally think it was bad luck and bad timing.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#44 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

It was a pretty brutal impact and hopefully Pacioretty makes a speedy recovery!

It's tough, because had that been anywhere else on the ice, he probably wouldn't have even been hurt, as he would have rolled off and into the glass... I don't think this is suspension worthy AT ALL and just a VERY unfortunate event, basically wrong time, wrong place...

I think what needs to be looked into more, is the "padding" on the ends of the glass... the protection level is downright laughable and they're basically like the "padding" they used to use in gym glass, where someone would fall 2 feet off the rope and damn near break their tailbone... with all the impact absorbent foams and technology we have, you would think they would have a better solution in PROFESSIONAL sports arenas by now...

But it wasn't anywhere else on the ice. Chara knew where he was when he made that hit and should have done a better job controlling it. I have never played hockey, but I think that a professional player should know how to deliver a safe hit so that he can accomplish what he wants without risking real injury to the other player. I guess for me it's all about that last shove before Pacioretty goes down.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#45 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

bad luck for pacioretty. no suspension needed.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#46 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:04 AM

Still not seeing the intent.

Oh right, it's not visible.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#47 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

But it wasn't anywhere else on the ice. Chara knew where he was when he made that hit and should have done a better job controlling it. I have never played hockey, but I think that a professional player should know how to deliver a safe hit so that he can accomplish what he wants without risking real injury to the other player. I guess for me it's all about that last shove before Pacioretty goes down.

With how fast the game moves (for the record, for how fast it seems to move on TV, multiply that by 1000 and MAYBE that's about as fast as it actually happens on the ice), there is NO WAY it even processed in his head where they were in relation to the stanchion... all it was, was a rub out, with an unfortunate result and the over-reaction to an injury is off-base...

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Edited by stevkrause, 09 March 2011 - 10:07 AM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#48 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

In a dark/damp cave just outside of Philadelphia - Chris Pronger is watching the replay over, and over while thinking to himself "gee - maybe I should try that?"

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#49 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

Simply put, if this is someone else say, like a Cooke. We are calling for his head, especially with the result after.

Just sayin'

In a dark/damp cave just outside of Philadelphia - Chris Pronger is watching the replay over, and over while thinking to himself "gee - maybe I should try that?"

Literally LOL'd Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#50 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

Decided to pop over to the Bruins board. Some members actually praising the hit and getting angry that there was even a penalty.

:thumbdown:

Still sour because their team can't close out a playoff series???? shameful

I don't think Chara meant to do that; it's just an unlucky situation. No suspension should be given.

INTENT....is not a factor in actions.... he did it, it happened and now he must take any further suspension that comes with it ( if one is handed out)

Those of you saying that Chara knew he was hitting him into the stantion are crazy. At the pace this game is played, Chara was simply trying to not allow Pacioretty to get by him and grab the puck. This was not a dirty hit. Interference maybe, but Chara certainly did not plan for this to happen.

I remember my days playing hockey, I hit someone the exact same way. It was not on purpose, I had no idea the stantion was there, but it was one of the biggest hits of my hockey career :yowza:

*The kid I hit was not injured

Again..planning or INTENT to hurt someone or not... Sit his ass down for a few games.... he deserves it.

as you said .. Interference.....that is a penalty...he knew he was interfering .... He is a D-man he knows the criteria

#51 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

With how fast the game moves (for the record, for how fast it seems to move on TV, multiply that by 1000 and MAYBE that's about as fast as it actually happens on the ice), there is NO WAY it even processed in his head where they were in relation to the stanchion... all it was, was a rub out, with an unfortunate result and the over-reaction to an injury is off-base...

Exactly.

You can see that both players have their heads down looking at the puck; Pacioretty is able to dump it down the ice so Chara does what many Dmen would do - rub the player out along the boards...Unfortunately both players were skating at full throttle when the collision was made, and the momentum carried Pacioretty into the stanchion.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#52 Chris Avram

Chris Avram

Prospect

• 32 posts

I can't believe people are acctually saying this was not dirty! I mean come on! If this was Datsyuk we wouldn't be debating if it was right or wrong! Chara IS a dirty player and he should miss rest of season plus playoffs. This league is ridiculous... one day someone will die on the ice and its not going to be Colin Campbell or other ******* who are going to justify, but the police will. This was clearly intentional! This is not hockey! Players have no respect for each other.

CANCEL

#53 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Simply put, if this is someone else say, like a Cooke. We are calling for his head, especially with the result after.

Just sayin'

Literally LOL'd Posted Image

I know you're just playing Devil's Advocate, but if it were Cooke, his reputation would imply intent, whereas Chara, although physical, has never been a dirty player and lets up a LOT on hits where he could probably quite literally kill someone... apples to oranges...

I also audibly laughed at that reply :)

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#54 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

Does there need to be intent to injure someone?

"I Didnt Mean It" defense only works for 8 yr old who put gum in their sisters hair...... Man up and take responsibility for your ACTIONS!

EDIT* Ill Debate the " I didnt mean it " defense on Demers too. he had plenty of time to NOT throw that punch!

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan, 09 March 2011 - 10:17 AM.

#55 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

Here are the facts:

- no one can know the intent, anyone suggesting Chara purposely put him into the stantion or anyone suggesting it was purely an accident are simply wrong, they really don't know one way or another. There is no way the video can show this.

- if the player did not get hurt like he did, it would be a 2 minute penalty and no one would be talking about this at all. Because he got hurt, I agree that they probably needed to assess a major and game.

My opinion, I think "results", meaning whether the player is hurt and extent of injury should be factored in to any discipline, but I think it is getting too much weight. I would place more weight on the act itself and in this case, it's hard to judge. I'd probably give him 2 games (simply because of the result). If you compare the Bertuzzi incident to what that Islanders player did against the Pens (not Gillies), it's not all that different, but the results were. Bertuzzi got signficant time (some pleaded for life time ban or longer than what he got) and the Islanders player only got 3-4 games I think. In those situations, I agree for longer time for Bertuzzi because of factoring in results, but I wouldn't place as much weight on that as they currently do.

#56 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

I can't believe people are acctually saying this was not dirty! I mean come on! If this was Datsyuk we wouldn't be debating if it was right or wrong! Chara IS a dirty player and he should miss rest of season plus playoffs. This league is ridiculous... one day someone will die on the ice and its not going to be Colin Campbell or other ******* who are going to justify, but the police will. This was clearly intentional! This is not hockey! Players have no respect for each other.

CANCEL

No. We'd be more upset because it is "our" player.
Slappies excluded. Most, if not all of us, would still have the same opinion on the hit.

If it were clearly intentional, we wouldn't be discussing it.

It is hockey. There is hitting in hockey and sometimes it has unfortunate results.

I'm not even touching your last sentence.

Does there need to be intent to injure someone?

"I Didnt Mean It" defense only works for 8 yr old who put gum in their sisters hair...... Man up and take responsibility for your ACTIONS!

EDIT* Ill Debate the " I didnt mean it " defense on Demers too. he had plenty of time to NOT throw that punch!

I mean, I don't see the intent to drive him into the glass like that.

He doesn't ride him into the glass.

He finishes his check. Questionable if, as everyone says and thinks, he knows exactly where he is on the ice and what'll happen if he finishes his check.

It's an unfortunate, but not malicious hit.

Edited by e_prime, 09 March 2011 - 10:29 AM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#57 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

:lol: I'm picturing that right now
IPB Image

#58 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

INTENT....is not a factor in actions....

determining 'intent' can and does factor into the suspensions given by the league.

hope that helps.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#59 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

About 3/4 the way through it shows the angle I'm talking about.

That overhead angle shows Chara grabbing him with his free hand, probably trying to slow him down from getting to the puck so his defensive partner would have time to make a play. If not for the stantion it should've been two for interference.

He was against the boards, he could have just rubbed him off, but as soon as the stantion came up he literally shoved him into it. Chara is not a dirty player, but clean players have been known to have mental lapses.

But this thread is going to go the same way as all dirty hit threads go, pro enforcers don't see anything wrong, anti-enforcer see's the world falling down and then the general masses see it as dirty (the poll on HFboards is 60% to 40% calling for a suspension).

More than pro-enforcer or anti-enforcer (I don't consider myself either), two better categories to determine how people view this hit is probably "I dont like Chara" and "I like/have no opinion about Chara."

Or maybe even "I'm bitter he won the Norris over Lidstrom."

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 09 March 2011 - 10:37 AM.

#60 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

I don't see how this play is even a little bit dirty. Chara interfered with him a little bit, sure, but that's it. If he had ridden him into it the whole way I could see an argument, but not for this.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.