305 replies to this topic

#161 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

@NHLBruins

The NHL has informed the Bruins that there will be no fine and no suspension for Chara ^BB

No suspension. No fine. Wow.

Edited by e_prime, 09 March 2011 - 03:34 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#162 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

Let The NHL Bashing begin.

Officially no discipline for Chara. :scared:

Makes me think that the NHL saw it as an either all or nothing suspension. You either say the hit was OK and give him none or you say it was intentional and give him a long suspension..

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#163 Blaayze

Blaayze

Summer... wakeboard... can't wait.

• PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:34 PM

Chara get's nothing. http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=555520

great.. :thumbdown:
Posted Image

#164 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

great news. crybaby LGWers in tatters.

I'm gonna catch hell for saying this, but for once I agree with the league.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#165 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

For those asking, here's statement from NHL's Mike Murphy who made the decision: "I conducted a hearing with Boston Bruins' defenseman Zdeno Chara with respect to the major penalty for interference and game misconduct that he was assessed at 19:44 of the second period for a hit on Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens.

“After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly -- with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards. I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.

“This was a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface. In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career."

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#166 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

Its cause he has the hardest slapshot isnt it!!!!

#167 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

Makes me think that the NHL saw it as an either all or nothing suspension. You either say the hit was OK and give him none or you say it was intentional and give him a long suspension..

Yup. They look at Chara's history and they see nothing outstanding, they don't believe he intended to hurt Pacioretty -- only to finish his check, see an unfortunate result... Done.

EDIT: Thanks for the Murphy quote.

I am surprised that because of the injury, Chara was not suspended... although I did say last night that all he was going to see was the 5 minutes and game misconduct.

Edited by e_prime, 09 March 2011 - 03:44 PM.

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#168 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#169 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

I think the conversation resulting this incident shouldn't be about players' respect towards each other or something like that. It should be about the way the rinks are built. There should be some kind of curve in the stanchion or no stanchion like that at all (if it's even possible). I mean, the way it's now it's dangerous as hell. If there would be a curve there that would continue outside the rink the contact wouldn't be as nearly as hard and lethal as it is now.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#170 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

He scores points so he's allowed to crush people's mellons into the stantion. See Pronger Rule.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#171 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

I think the only real solution to come out of all of this nonsense should be that obviously they need to do someothing more about the stantion than the like 3 inches of foam they have on it now.. at the speed this game is played at now it was only a matter of time because someone got seriously hurt from hitting one.

#172 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

New buzzword: intent.

"What do you mean I'm getting called for tripping? I didn't intend to trip him!"
"High-sticking? I didn't intend for my stick to hit him in the face and I certainly didn't intend for him to bleed!"

And so on...

(Note: I actually sort of agree with the NHL on this one, since the intent didn't seem to be there and it was just a wrong place, wrong time kind of play.)

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#173 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

@downgoesbrown:

Think I feel the same about the Chara ruling as I did on Cooke: hate the hit, hate the result, but under the rules it may be the right call.

@buccigross:

David Steckle interfered with Sid Crosby and might have knocked him out for the year. And I didn't think he should have been suspended

@tsnbobmckenzie:

I am surprised to the extent that it was an illegal play (interference) causing injury and that usually results in a 1 to 4 game suspension.

But I recognized at the time many in hockey view it as a hockey play gone wrong with an absence of malice. Should have been 2 games, IMO.

And outside of any comments I make on TSN tonight - I will be on SC and NHL on TSN - I'm not engaging in Twitter war with anyone. Take care.

Oh come on, Bob!!

#174 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

He scores points so he's allowed to crush people's mellons into the stantion. See Pronger Rule.

esteef

Usually we see eye-to-eye on many issues, but I gotta say I disagree with ya here.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#175 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

New buzzword: intent.

"What do you mean I'm getting called for tripping? I didn't intend to trip him!"
"High-sticking? I didn't intend for my stick to hit him in the face and I certainly didn't intend for him to bleed!"

And so on...

(Note: I actually sort of agree with the NHL on this one, since the intent didn't seem to be there and it was just a wrong place, wrong time kind of play.)

Well now you got it all wrong. There's a rule for tripping and high-sticking. Just like there's a rule for interference. Chara interferenced so he did deserve a penalty based on that, whether it was intentional or not. The injury resulting has nothing to do with it, because there was nothing else that broke the rules in that contact except the interference.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#176 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

I'm sure this sits well with Montreal and they won't be looking to exact revenge Gillies' style next time they meet. Nice work NHL, get ready for another concussion.

esteef

#177 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

I thought there would be a suspension for sure because an injury resulted. Not really disappointed there wasn't one.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#178 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

I'm sure this sits well with Montreal and they won't be looking to exact revenge Gillies' style next time they meet. Nice work NHL, get ready for another concussion.

esteef

It's like I said before, who on Montreal is going to step up to Chara?.. I know I cheer for the little fragile old Red Wings but I would be embarassed if Hal Gill was the toughest player on my team.

And really.. Montreal and Boston already blew up once this season, and judging by how that went, why the hell would Montreal ever want that to happen again?

#179 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that glass between the benches not there in other arenas? You see my posts, I'm all about getting these kind of cheap shots out of the game, but I'm wondering if this is more on the Montreal Organization than Chara?

When players only have split seconds to make decisions, injuries from different arena designs shouldn't be the players fault. Having glass between the benches like that is dangerous, especially in the neutral zone, when players are more likely skating at top speed there than in the offensive zones.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#180 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

It's like I said before, who on Montreal is going to step up to Chara?.. I know I cheer for the little fragile old Red Wings but I would be embarassed if Hal Gill was the toughest player on my team.

And really.. Montreal and Boston already blew up once this season, and judging by how that went, why the hell would Montreal ever want that to happen again?

You missed my Gillies reference :P , meaning some smaller skilled player will probably get drilled, probably by some Montreal call-up whats-his-name.

esteef