Is this the end?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 DatsyukPwnz13

DatsyukPwnz13

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

I'm not saying put a fork in them, we will make it into the playoffs. All I'm saying is that I no longer have confidence that we will win every night we are on the ice.

I have always firmly believed that the Wings will be competitive and most likely win every game. I know that is foolish, but they have always played at such a high level that it isn't so far-fetched to believe that. But now whenever I watch a game, I don't know what to expect.

PROVE ME WRONG RED WINGS!!!!

#2 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

February/March is definitely epic quote time in Hockeytown. No, this is not the end as there is an entire month of the regular season left and a whole new season called the Playoffs that start mid-April.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#3 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

They still have time to get their heads out of their asses, personally I feel like this slump they're in is what they need. They need to go on a big losing streak. Shown last night they can go 5-11 and i forgot how many overtime losses and still hit the 96 point's that are estimated needed to make playoffs. Anyways, when you're on a losing streak is when you finally sit down and analyze what's going wrong here. We have a team full of depth and superstars, they all know what they are capable of but currently they feel like they can hit the ice and magically carry themselves to win. It's the wrong way to play and that's how they're doing it right now. We're taking half-ass shots, making horrible passes that aren't there (I'm not sure what the hell they're seeing for a passing lane right now), and defense is getting ran into the ground. The only way for them to wake up is what's happening right now, I want Babcock to be pissed. This is the only way Babcock is going to become his old self, when the team is playing like absolute s***. This may worry a lot of fans because it's so close to playoffs but I know this will only strengthen them in the long run. Let's get this bulls*** cleaned up BEFORE the playoffs happen, not allow it to carry on WHILE the playoffs are here. /rant

Short version: Stop bitching and have some faith.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#4 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

might be a bit of tuning out of the coach. i never liked the hudler/filpulla/franzen signings. sometimes the team seems fairly uninterested in the game until the last 5 min. is it the end? probably not. will we ever be as dominant as we once were in the cap world? probably not. are we still a good team? absolutely.

#5 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

I'm not saying put a fork in them, we will make it into the playoffs. All I'm saying is that I no longer have confidence that we will win every night we are on the ice.

I have always firmly believed that the Wings will be competitive and most likely win every game. I know that is foolish, but they have always played at such a high level that it isn't so far-fetched to believe that. But now whenever I watch a game, I don't know what to expect.

I wonder what you were thinking a few years ago (2008) when they lost 10 out of 11 games. I bet the sky was falling then too. I seem to recall that losing streak in February not mattering when Nick was hoisting the Cup in June.

#6 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

Win soon rawr!!!!
Posted Image

#7 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

I certainly don't think this is the end by any means, the team I feel does need to improve in a few areas but and I've not comletely lost hope for a Cup this season. I see a lot of room for improvement and I think once the Playoffs get going it will be in the team's head a little more that if they are going to contend for a cup they have to start bringing their game to that uppper level that is required in the playoffs to have a chance. Special Teams is an issue and Getting and Holding leads is definetly an issue. I think it's more about playing a good hard 60 Minutes a game and not letting up even with a 3 or 4 goal lead. You have to respect you opponents for what they can do, you have to bump and grind and play physical sound hockey, if the Wings can take care of all that and do it in a timely fashion I think they will be just fine and good strong contenders. I'm getting hungry too for another Cup and hopefully it is coming soon.

#8 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

No, no it's not the end. Thank you for your concern, though.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#9 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

I wonder what you were thinking a few years ago (2008) when they lost 10 out of 11 games. I bet the sky was falling then too. I seem to recall that losing streak in February not mattering when Nick was hoisting the Cup in June.

This is March, a bit closer to the playoffs and the team is more healthy. At February of '08 they were ridiculously injured, but still all but already had a #1 seed wrapped up and there was pretty much no doubt where they stood going into the playoffs. That month stunk but pretty much everybody already knew the Wings place going into that postseason with nobody breathing down their neck.

Not the end, but they are just wildly inconsistent lately. It can't be expected that they "flip a switch" per se every post season like they did in 2009 when the defense for most of the year was very bad. Could something similar happen this go-round? Of course, but again not wise to expect such a scenario every time.

I'm not a doom and gloomer, I rarely ever get into calling players worthless or want to burn their heads at the stake, plenty of other teams would kill to be in the situation the Wings are in presently which is all but in the playoffs, and it's impossible to play balls to the wall every game in such a lengthy season, I don't care what team you are and I don't care if we're talking hockey, the NBA, or Major League Baseball where you play 160+ games a season. It's just not always going to be there. Which is why I rarely go suggesting trading so-and-so or benching somebody for 10 games to tell them to wake up, because this team has the personnel to win more often than not. But if they want to make a deep playoff run the attention to detail and urgency has got to be better. It's that simple, at least in concept of course. A little more urgency and effort and their chances to win are that much greater.

And before anybody comes with any possible responses like I'm lowering my expectations to not be as disappointed or I'm stupid for not fully believing or that I'm giving up or throwing in the towel, and some of you know who you are, you can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. That's not what I am meaning and you know this. If there's anything I really hate regarding stuff like this, it's the doom and gloomers who say we are f**ked from minute one (which isn't what the original poster's tone is, not even close, just normal concern) as well as the pom-pom cheerleaders who yell at others for showing question or a slight inkling of doubt. Both sides are equally aggravating and you all know who you are in here. We all want the Red Wings to win in here.

#10 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

This should be the end of this thread.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#11 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

Wow...easy on the trigger here.
Name me a team that hasn't had a slump this year. Look at Washington, Pittsburg, The Sharks, Chicago...all top teams..all who have really struggled at some point this year.
In October, San Jose looked like the dumbest club in the NHL to let go of Nabokov and pick up Neimi and he played terribly...now, he is a big reason why the sharks are on fire.

This team is way too deep to chalk this up to anything more than a slump. Better now then June....the only end that is near is the end of us playing like a bunch of AHL'er...We are way too good for that
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#12 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Absolutely. This is definitely the end. They can't even win 82 games in a season how are they supposed to win the cup?
Posted Image

#13 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

#14 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

If you thought the Red Wings would win every single night and go 82-0 your crazy
IPB Image

#15 Lonewuhf

Lonewuhf

Rookie

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

might be a bit of tuning out of the coach. i never liked the hudler/filpulla/franzen signings. sometimes the team seems fairly uninterested in the game until the last 5 min. is it the end? probably not. will we ever be as dominant as we once were in the cap world? probably not. are we still a good team? absolutely.

This was a joke, right...? Fil(even though he hasn't done too much in the points department since being back) and Hudler have been 2 of our best players...

#16 paul19010

paul19010

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

i have doubts, but dont think its the end. i mean, as another poster pointed out, that 10 out of 11 in 2008 was crazy. this is no where near that. i also think they lost 7 out of their last 10 in 2009.

last nights game was f***ed up but didnt crush me like the phoenix game. i mean quick stood on his head and i think in a 7 game series the wings would beat him.

with that said, i am feeling down right now, i just want this one so bad, i think about game 7 like every day. i feel like if they win it this year, i can look at game 7 as adversity, like they lost a franchise crushing game, but kept it together, made the playoffs in 2010 when most teams would give up, and then won it all again in 2011.

im not looking forward to the playoffs, they are going to brutal.

#17 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

im not looking forward to the playoffs, they are going to brutal.

Then what the hell are ya doing here, man? Best time of the year no matter what the "prospects" might be.

#18 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

If THEY don't win their next game (I only use WE when THEY'RE winning), I'm jumping ship and becoming a Leafs fan. You can hold me to that. :angry:

Please don't hold me to that I don't want to be a Leafs fan, they're rubbish!

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#19 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

If THEY don't win their next game (I only use WE when THEY'RE winning), I'm jumping ship and becoming a Leafs fan. You can hold me to that. :angry:

Please don't hold me to that I don't want to be a Leafs fan, they're rubbish!

Mods, hold this man accountable! WINGS WIN OR HES GONE! WE MEAN BUSINESS HERE

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#20 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

Mods, hold this man accountable! WINGS WIN OR HES GONE! WE MEAN BUSINESS HERE

Oh God I'm going to be stuck with Lebda again aren't I? :P

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life