• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukPwnz13

Is this the end?

Rate this topic

I'm not saying put a fork in them, we will make it into the playoffs. All I'm saying is that I no longer have confidence that we will win every night we are on the ice.

I have always firmly believed that the Wings will be competitive and most likely win every game. I know that is foolish, but they have always played at such a high level that it isn't so far-fetched to believe that. But now whenever I watch a game, I don't know what to expect.

PROVE ME WRONG RED WINGS!!!!

They still have time to get their heads out of their asses, personally I feel like this slump they're in is what they need. They need to go on a big losing streak. Shown last night they can go 5-11 and i forgot how many overtime losses and still hit the 96 point's that are estimated needed to make playoffs. Anyways, when you're on a losing streak is when you finally sit down and analyze what's going wrong here. We have a team full of depth and superstars, they all know what they are capable of but currently they feel like they can hit the ice and magically carry themselves to win. It's the wrong way to play and that's how they're doing it right now. We're taking half-ass shots, making horrible passes that aren't there (I'm not sure what the hell they're seeing for a passing lane right now), and defense is getting ran into the ground. The only way for them to wake up is what's happening right now, I want Babcock to be pissed. This is the only way Babcock is going to become his old self, when the team is playing like absolute s***. This may worry a lot of fans because it's so close to playoffs but I know this will only strengthen them in the long run. Let's get this bulls*** cleaned up BEFORE the playoffs happen, not allow it to carry on WHILE the playoffs are here. /rant

Short version: Stop bitching and have some faith.

might be a bit of tuning out of the coach. i never liked the hudler/filpulla/franzen signings. sometimes the team seems fairly uninterested in the game until the last 5 min. is it the end? probably not. will we ever be as dominant as we once were in the cap world? probably not. are we still a good team? absolutely.

I'm not saying put a fork in them, we will make it into the playoffs. All I'm saying is that I no longer have confidence that we will win every night we are on the ice.

I have always firmly believed that the Wings will be competitive and most likely win every game. I know that is foolish, but they have always played at such a high level that it isn't so far-fetched to believe that. But now whenever I watch a game, I don't know what to expect.

I wonder what you were thinking a few years ago (2008) when they lost 10 out of 11 games. I bet the sky was falling then too. I seem to recall that losing streak in February not mattering when Nick was hoisting the Cup in June.

I certainly don't think this is the end by any means, the team I feel does need to improve in a few areas but and I've not comletely lost hope for a Cup this season. I see a lot of room for improvement and I think once the Playoffs get going it will be in the team's head a little more that if they are going to contend for a cup they have to start bringing their game to that uppper level that is required in the playoffs to have a chance. Special Teams is an issue and Getting and Holding leads is definetly an issue. I think it's more about playing a good hard 60 Minutes a game and not letting up even with a 3 or 4 goal lead. You have to respect you opponents for what they can do, you have to bump and grind and play physical sound hockey, if the Wings can take care of all that and do it in a timely fashion I think they will be just fine and good strong contenders. I'm getting hungry too for another Cup and hopefully it is coming soon.

I wonder what you were thinking a few years ago (2008) when they lost 10 out of 11 games. I bet the sky was falling then too. I seem to recall that losing streak in February not mattering when Nick was hoisting the Cup in June.

This is March, a bit closer to the playoffs and the team is more healthy. At February of '08 they were ridiculously injured, but still all but already had a #1 seed wrapped up and there was pretty much no doubt where they stood going into the playoffs. That month stunk but pretty much everybody already knew the Wings place going into that postseason with nobody breathing down their neck.

Not the end, but they are just wildly inconsistent lately. It can't be expected that they "flip a switch" per se every post season like they did in 2009 when the defense for most of the year was very bad. Could something similar happen this go-round? Of course, but again not wise to expect such a scenario every time.

I'm not a doom and gloomer, I rarely ever get into calling players worthless or want to burn their heads at the stake, plenty of other teams would kill to be in the situation the Wings are in presently which is all but in the playoffs, and it's impossible to play balls to the wall every game in such a lengthy season, I don't care what team you are and I don't care if we're talking hockey, the NBA, or Major League Baseball where you play 160+ games a season. It's just not always going to be there. Which is why I rarely go suggesting trading so-and-so or benching somebody for 10 games to tell them to wake up, because this team has the personnel to win more often than not. But if they want to make a deep playoff run the attention to detail and urgency has got to be better. It's that simple, at least in concept of course. A little more urgency and effort and their chances to win are that much greater.

And before anybody comes with any possible responses like I'm lowering my expectations to not be as disappointed or I'm stupid for not fully believing or that I'm giving up or throwing in the towel, and some of you know who you are, you can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. That's not what I am meaning and you know this. If there's anything I really hate regarding stuff like this, it's the doom and gloomers who say we are f**ked from minute one (which isn't what the original poster's tone is, not even close, just normal concern) as well as the pom-pom cheerleaders who yell at others for showing question or a slight inkling of doubt. Both sides are equally aggravating and you all know who you are in here. We all want the Red Wings to win in here.

Wow...easy on the trigger here.

Name me a team that hasn't had a slump this year. Look at Washington, Pittsburg, The Sharks, Chicago...all top teams..all who have really struggled at some point this year.

In October, San Jose looked like the dumbest club in the NHL to let go of Nabokov and pick up Neimi and he played terribly...now, he is a big reason why the sharks are on fire.

This team is way too deep to chalk this up to anything more than a slump. Better now then June....the only end that is near is the end of us playing like a bunch of AHL'er...We are way too good for that

If you thought the Red Wings would win every single night and go 82-0 your crazy

might be a bit of tuning out of the coach. i never liked the hudler/filpulla/franzen signings. sometimes the team seems fairly uninterested in the game until the last 5 min. is it the end? probably not. will we ever be as dominant as we once were in the cap world? probably not. are we still a good team? absolutely.

This was a joke, right...? Fil(even though he hasn't done too much in the points department since being back) and Hudler have been 2 of our best players...

i have doubts, but dont think its the end. i mean, as another poster pointed out, that 10 out of 11 in 2008 was crazy. this is no where near that. i also think they lost 7 out of their last 10 in 2009.

last nights game was f***ed up but didnt crush me like the phoenix game. i mean quick stood on his head and i think in a 7 game series the wings would beat him.

with that said, i am feeling down right now, i just want this one so bad, i think about game 7 like every day. i feel like if they win it this year, i can look at game 7 as adversity, like they lost a franchise crushing game, but kept it together, made the playoffs in 2010 when most teams would give up, and then won it all again in 2011.

im not looking forward to the playoffs, they are going to brutal.

If THEY don't win their next game (I only use WE when THEY'RE winning), I'm jumping ship and becoming a Leafs fan. You can hold me to that. :angry:

Please don't hold me to that I don't want to be a Leafs fan, they're rubbish!

Mods, hold this man accountable! WINGS WIN OR HES GONE! WE MEAN BUSINESS HERE

I hate the comparisons to 2008. Most of our young players hadn't won the Cup at that time (hence they were more hungry). More importantly, we had Hasek and Osgood as our goalies.

This team isn't as hungry anymore, and doesn't have any good goalies heading into the playoffs.

Stop making this ******* comparison already! :ranting:

This is March, a bit closer to the playoffs and the team is more healthy. At February of '08 they were ridiculously injured, but still all but already had a #1 seed wrapped up and there was pretty much no doubt where they stood going into the playoffs. That month stunk but pretty much everybody already knew the Wings place going into that postseason with nobody breathing down their neck.

Not the end, but they are just wildly inconsistent lately. It can't be expected that they "flip a switch" per se every post season like they did in 2009 when the defense for most of the year was very bad. Could something similar happen this go-round? Of course, but again not wise to expect such a scenario every time.

I'm not a doom and gloomer, I rarely ever get into calling players worthless or want to burn their heads at the stake, plenty of other teams would kill to be in the situation the Wings are in presently which is all but in the playoffs, and it's impossible to play balls to the wall every game in such a lengthy season, I don't care what team you are and I don't care if we're talking hockey, the NBA, or Major League Baseball where you play 160+ games a season. It's just not always going to be there. Which is why I rarely go suggesting trading so-and-so or benching somebody for 10 games to tell them to wake up, because this team has the personnel to win more often than not. But if they want to make a deep playoff run the attention to detail and urgency has got to be better. It's that simple, at least in concept of course. A little more urgency and effort and their chances to win are that much greater.

And before anybody comes with any possible responses like I'm lowering my expectations to not be as disappointed or I'm stupid for not fully believing or that I'm giving up or throwing in the towel, and some of you know who you are, you can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. That's not what I am meaning and you know this. If there's anything I really hate regarding stuff like this, it's the doom and gloomers who say we are f**ked from minute one (which isn't what the original poster's tone is, not even close, just normal concern) as well as the pom-pom cheerleaders who yell at others for showing question or a slight inkling of doubt. Both sides are equally aggravating and you all know who you are in here. We all want the Red Wings to win in here.

This. I'm angry right now at how the Wings are playing, and while I may have more negative posts, I will always in my heart stand behind my team. But those of us who are being more vocal right now about our concerns might be speaking for a certain reason.

Think of it this way--as a parent you have two children. One is the smart, top of the class student with the right combination of intelligence and skills to use that intelligence to do well and go far, and the other is not that bright and struggles with school because he doesn't have the skills or the drive to care how well they do. As that parent, who are you going to more disappointed in if they both come home with D's? The child who is only going to succeed as far as their skill level allows them, or the child who has all the tools at his disposal but who squanders his opportunities and tools he has been given for whatever reason? THAT is why I'm upset. NOT because they have lost, NOT because we are close to the playoffs and still playing this way. I'm upset because when I watched the games in October and early November, I actually said to myself that I'd be spoiled this year as a fan because the Wings were well rested after a long summer, they looked great on paper, and they were playing to their full potential even on the nights they lost. In those early games, they played like a cohesive team and it showed. And to all of a sudden turn a switch in December and do a complete 180 is very disappointing and disheartening to see the potential this team had not holding much significance in the minds of the players and coaches.

Can they turn it around in the remaining games? Can they flip the switch come playoff time? There's always that possibility, and because they are the Red Wings the probability is greater. But just because I express my opinion and my concern, don't tell me I am any less of a fan. Is that intelligent child's parent any less of a father or mother because they are disappointed to see so much promise wasted and only want for their child to use all the skills available to them to create the best opportunities for himself? I think not.

Mike Babcock announces that he held a team meeting to get things on the table:

Link: http://www.freep.com/article/20110311/SPORTS05/103110390/1053/sports05

"I thought it was a pretty good game," coach Mike Babcock said afterward.

Upon further review, the game hit a sour note and Babcock was singing a different tune after Thursday's practice.

"For the first 30 minutes, I thought we were fine. ... But in end we weren't on top of their net long enough and hard enough," Babcock said. "You can tell yourself the next day all you want, 'Oh, their goalie played good.' Well, why did you let him? There's no goalie that keeps it out all the time -- if you have a guy on his pads and someone standing on the side and you keep banging away at second chances."

"So we normally would have a meeting like this the second game of the playoffs because you think you're getting to the net and you get to the playoffs and you're not getting there," Babcock said. "It's impossible to score then. In the West right now, the playoffs are on for most teams. So have to decide that we want to join that party."

Oh God I'm going to be stuck with Lebda again aren't I? :P

I wouldnt wish that on even the most ignorant Wings fan. No one deserves to be stuck with Lebda again. As much as I despise Leaf fans, to be honest, I felt bad for them when Burke signed him to that insane contract. Granted, my compassion only lasted a moment but still...