• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

Continual record profits, climbing TV ratings, and a salary cap that keeps on rising. Easy extension decision.

I love how people put the versus deal on Bettman, you do know they offered the most money right? You also know the suspensions given to Lidstrom and Dastyuk were a unanimous decision agreed upon by every GM, including our own?

Every sport also has teams who lose money, even the great NFL. All this blind Bettman hate is ridiculous. Take some management or economic classes and you'll see why Bettman is doing a good job.

What are you farking talking about?

http://blog.mlive.co...appeal_lid.html

Holland couldn't be reached for comment yesterday, but said in an e-mail Saturday he wasn't happy with Bettman's ruling. "I disagree with the decision," Holland said.
"Lidstrom has played in 9 or 10 all-star games, shown up at every NHL awards show and has been a tremendous ambassador for our league," he said. "He has tendinitis in his elbow that has been an ongoing issue for a number of years...I think he has earned the right to miss a game to try to get 100% healthy."

Hell, was the ruling to allow Crosby a free pass just for showing up for the "festivities" (a change in ruling neither Datsyuk or Lidstrom were aware of) agreed upon by GMs?

http://blog.mlive.co..._lidstromc.html

"I heard it through (media reports of) Sidney Crosby going there and not playing," Lidstrom said. "I heard he wasn't going to be suspended, so that's how I heard. They never called me and told me that."

Edited by Doc Holliday, 13 March 2011 - 11:30 AM.

Posted Image

#42 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

Continual record profits, climbing TV ratings, and a salary cap that keeps on rising. Easy extension decision.

I love how people put the versus deal on Bettman, you do know they offered the most money right?

Every sport also has teams who lose money, even the great NFL. All this blind Bettman hate is ridiculous. Take some management or economic classes and you'll see why Bettman is doing a good job.

This I agree with. The stuff about Dats and Lids are nonsense though. :)
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#43 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

I love how people put the versus deal on Bettman, you do know they offered the most money right? You also know the suspensions given to Lidstrom and Dastyuk were a unanimous decision agreed upon by every GM, including our own?

He's an *******. A douchey, smarmy, little sneering *******. It doesn't matter if he's good at the job he was hired to do. He's a douchey, smarmy, sneering little ******* that's good at the job he was hired to do. Sidney Crosby is good at what he does too, but that doesn't make him any less of a turd.

I've taken plenty of management classes and plenty of economics classes -- I was a business major, after all. The point is, if you have an unlikeable personality or otherwise present yourself to be the undisputed King of All Yambags, nothing else really matters, now does it?

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#44 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

Owners back Gary Bettman with 5-year contract extension

Wow, I guess this was done in November, but wasn't reported until today.

I've had enough of this guy. I think when the Red Wings start their decline (whenever that is), I'm focusing more attention on Baseball.

You have got to be fricking kidding me..

Was just coming to post this. 5 more years of him...there has to be some way that he does not stick around any longer than that.

Assassination would be ok.

Sort of like the President of The United States is for our crappy Government...

...owners don't want someone there who knows whats best for the game (Shanahan) they want a lawyer there who knows whats best for them and their money...

Exactly
Do or do not. There is no try

#45 GrindupaLine

GrindupaLine

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

As a fan of the league's health, I am thrilled. As a fan of the game on ice, I am dissapointed.
"If Filppula was ever given a legit chance in the top six with competent teammates (read: not Bertuzzi and Franzen) for an entire season, he would break 70, guaranteed. "

Z and D for the C

#46 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Bettman is lazy, and he sucks.

#47 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

I don't like Bettman anymore than the next guy, but there is clearly some very biased hate towards him that's unwarranted and misguided. He has at least financially done his job. As far as rules and gameplay, he is at the mercy of the NHLPA and the owners. We have seen it numerous times, since the lockout. If the majority wants something done it will happen, the most recent example is the shoot-out win points being removed from the tie-breaker criteria.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#48 Coolio Mendez

Coolio Mendez

Beware of the Franzensteiner!

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

1)
Misconception: People he believe that he put teams in the deep south
Fact: John Ziegler announced Florida, Tampa, San Jose, and Anaheim and was President when Green announced the North Stars were moving

2)
Misconception: People believe that he orchestrated the change from historical division names to geographic division names
Fact: After numerous complaints from sportscasters (almost all of them Canadian), John Ziegler ordered an examination of the Conference and Division names in 1990. Using polls from season ticket holders at all 21 teams and the Hockey News, players and fans alike voted for the geographic names. The change was announced at the 1993 All-Star game by Gil Stein, who also showed off the new 'East' and 'West' jerseys for the 1994 All-Star Game

3)
Misconception: People are upset because he locked out the players....twice
Fact: The owners control Bettman. The reason Bettman was hired was because he was one of only two candidates who would agree to lock out the players if it came to that. For example, if you were in the running for the job, and you answered all the questions right, and then the last question ("Will you lock out the players?" and you said 'no'. You would no longer be considered.

4)
Misconception: Bettman's the reason the NHL is not on ESPN
Fact: The NHL was on ESPN from 1998 through 2004 under Bettman's watch, and he gave the owners the ESPN proposal first. Since ESPN only wanted to pay $18MM a year to the league, the owners voted 30-0 against it.

Bettman's unfortunate in the sense that he's been the Commissioner in the 'Internet' era where you can read what anybody says anytime. JOhn Ziegler was bashed regularly while he was President....a listen to any Canadian radio station call-in show would tell you that. Red Fisher in Montreal Gazette and Frank Orr of the Toronto Star were extremely hard on Ziegler. The difference was they had smaller audiences (seriously, how many of you ran to your local library to read the Toronto and Montreal papers in 1985?) than any writer/blogger has now.

He's not a likeable person...he's a lawyer, and he has absolutely no hockey background...unlike Ziegler who had season's tickets to Red Wings games (mind you, he was also the Red Wings lawyer from 1961 through 1977 as well). BUt he's made the lwague a stronger business and a stronger brand.

TeeMan is Da Man!

#49 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

^^^Excellent use of fact and common sense. +1.

That said, Bettman is a weaselsnot.

I would rather have a hockey man in charge with a legal team to explain torts and boardrooms and than a legal man in charge with a hockey team to explain Torts and boarding.

As long as this is a business, finance will be the bottom line. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

#50 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

He's quite the wiz at labour relations.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#51 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:59 AM

1)
Fact: John Ziegler announced Florida, Tampa, San Jose, and Anaheim and was President when Green announced the North Stars were moving

2)
Misconception: People believe that he orchestrated the change from historical division names to geographic division names
Fact: After numerous complaints from sportscasters (almost all of them Canadian), John Ziegler ordered an examination of the Conference and Division names in 1990. Using polls from season ticket holders at all 21 teams and the Hockey News, players and fans alike voted for the geographic names. The change was announced at the 1993 All-Star game by Gil Stein, who also showed off the new 'East' and 'West' jerseys for the 1994 All-Star Game

3)
Fact: The owners control Bettman. The reason Bettman was hired was because he was one of only two candidates who would agree to lock out the players if it came to that. For example, if you were in the running for the job, and you answered all the questions right, and then the last question ("Will you lock out the players?" and you said 'no'. You would no longer be considered.

4)
Fact: The NHL was on ESPN from 1998 through 2004 under Bettman's watch, and he gave the owners the ESPN proposal first. Since ESPN only wanted to pay $18MM a year to the league, the owners voted 30-0 against it.

Bettman's unfortunate in the sense that he's been the Commissioner in the 'Internet' era where you can read what anybody says anytime. JOhn Ziegler was bashed regularly while he was President....a listen to any Canadian radio station call-in show would tell you that. Red Fisher in Montreal Gazette and Frank Orr of the Toronto Star were extremely hard on Ziegler. The difference was they had smaller audiences (seriously, how many of you ran to your local library to read the Toronto and Montreal papers in 1985?) than any writer/blogger has now.

He's not a likeable person...he's a lawyer, and he has absolutely no hockey background...unlike Ziegler who had season's tickets to Red Wings games (mind you, he was also the Red Wings lawyer from 1961 through 1977 as well). BUt he's made the lwague a stronger business and a stronger brand.

That's a good post, although you didn't cite where you copy/pasted it from, making it look like you made this post all on your own. :thumbdown:

#52 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

That's a good post, although you didn't cite where you copy/pasted it from, making it look like you made this post all on your own. :thumbdown:

Could be that he wanted to make his point and he had all that knowledge. I know I've posted something and realized I didn't have a link to back it up and made sure to edit it because people always want that proof. Not trying to be sarastic, but we are all capable of looking some of this stuff up on our own and he sounded very knowledgeable with his points. I understand when people post some outrageous comment, there should be something to back that up without us having to check.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#53 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:12 AM

Could be that he wanted to make his point and he had all that knowledge. I know I've posted something and realized I didn't have a link to back it up and made sure to edit it because people always want that proof. Not trying to be sarastic, but we are all capable of looking some of this stuff up on our own and he sounded very knowledgeable with his points. I understand when people post some outrageous comment, there should be something to back that up without us having to check.

If someone had all that knowledge they would put it into their own words. If they were going to use somebody else's answer, they simply cite where they got it from otherwise it is presumed that this is their work. What's so hard about that? It took seconds to copy/paste those paragraphs here, it surely can't be difficult to copy/paste the source.

That post looked way, way above the type of post I would see on LGW so instantly I took several words from one of the examples he gave, did a search on it, and bang bang.

http://answers.yahoo...24154929AAGecXx

Edited by Shoreline, 14 March 2011 - 09:16 AM.

#54 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

I think it's time for change, someone different who has different ideas
IPB Image

#55 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

If someone had all that knowledge they would put it into their own words. If they were going to use somebody else's answer, they simply cite where they got it from otherwise it is presumed that this is their work. What's so hard about that? It took seconds to copy/paste those paragraphs here, it surely can't be difficult to copy/paste the source.

That post looked way, way above the type of post I would see on LGW so instantly I took several words from one of the examples he gave, did a search on it, and bang bang.

http://answers.yahoo...24154929AAGecXx

Point taken. I guess I'm naive when it comes to thinking people are honest most of the time so I give them more credit then is due. If you are going to copy and paste then yes you better provide a link and give credit where it's due.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#56 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

I don't like Bettman anymore than the next guy, but there is clearly some very biased hate towards him that's unwarranted and misguided. He has at least financially done his job. As far as rules and gameplay, he is at the mercy of the NHLPA and the owners. We have seen it numerous times, since the lockout. If the majority wants something done it will happen, the most recent example is the shoot-out win points being removed from the tie-breaker criteria.

Huh? Shot-outs not used for tie breakers is a very minor change. Things that IMO need to be under discussion:

No touch icing
get rid of the trapezoid
3 points for all games if you can't get rid of the shootout
The stupid puck over the glass rule - change it back to what is was before the lockout
padding on the dasherboards
padding on the edge of the glass (i.e. the Chara hit)
every team plays every team at least twice
get rid of the teams that are losing money every year
no back-to-back in the playoffs
Instant Replay on all goals and the ability to overturn calls that are missed i.e. the intent to blow the whistle
Eliminate the instigator rule

Just a few things that should be changed. Currently NONE of them are being considered.

That silly tie thing that you mentioned is the only thing that has been done since the lockout

#57 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

1)

2)

3)

4)

1. Ok but what about the other teams in poor hockey markets - Nashville, Atlanta, Phoneix, Columbus?
2. Very few people care about the division names. The issue is that the historical rivals were broken up to allow for teams in silly places like Nashville.
3. I agree about the lockout. it wasn't all Bettman
4. I agree about Versus

So 2 of those 4 points are legit. Was this written by a lawyer?

#58 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Yep.
Great post Konnan511.

#59 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:17 AM

1. Ok but what about the other teams in poor hockey markets - Nashville, Atlanta, Phoneix, Columbus?
2. Very few people care about the division names. The issue is that the historical rivals were broken up to allow for teams in silly places like Nashville.
3. I agree about the lockout. it wasn't all Bettman
4. I agree about Versus

So 2 of those 4 points are legit. Was this written by a lawyer?

No, it was plagiarized. If you read a few posts up, Shoreline found out where the poster got it from.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#60 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

Being a business major, you're also taught about the ethics portion of business.

Losing money is in fact a bad thing, and with revenue sharing encompassing every team, especially in the red, if we were really using wisdom of business logic and economic logic, you would use the universal shut down rule to imply that the Coyotes should be moved to a more profitable area (being over a decade long of debt non-profitability that the rest of the league inevitably has to cover for) or simply contracted and eliminated altogether.

When:

P < AC
and
TR < TC

A business must shut down and pursue profits elsewhere. This is considered long run, where the Coyotes for several years now have met this long run criteria to pack their s*** up and go or dissolve the team.

Now, since we're talking US economics, we're talking Gary "I wanna make the taxpayers of Glendale pay for a team" Bettman economics. What's the common feature? Economic belligerence, not knowing when to call off losses, perpetuated consumption without the revenue to justify it, and the debt financing collateral, which is forcing cities to issue bonds for the sake of private enterprise. This is downright stupid, not a "good job".

Edited by Shoreline, 15 March 2011 - 12:43 PM.