• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barrie

Owners back Gary Bettman with 5-year contract extension

Rate this topic

That's a good post, although you didn't cite where you copy/pasted it from, making it look like you made this post all on your own. :thumbdown:

Could be that he wanted to make his point and he had all that knowledge. I know I've posted something and realized I didn't have a link to back it up and made sure to edit it because people always want that proof. Not trying to be sarastic, but we are all capable of looking some of this stuff up on our own and he sounded very knowledgeable with his points. I understand when people post some outrageous comment, there should be something to back that up without us having to check.

Guest Shoreline

Could be that he wanted to make his point and he had all that knowledge. I know I've posted something and realized I didn't have a link to back it up and made sure to edit it because people always want that proof. Not trying to be sarastic, but we are all capable of looking some of this stuff up on our own and he sounded very knowledgeable with his points. I understand when people post some outrageous comment, there should be something to back that up without us having to check.

If someone had all that knowledge they would put it into their own words. If they were going to use somebody else's answer, they simply cite where they got it from otherwise it is presumed that this is their work. What's so hard about that? It took seconds to copy/paste those paragraphs here, it surely can't be difficult to copy/paste the source.

That post looked way, way above the type of post I would see on LGW so instantly I took several words from one of the examples he gave, did a search on it, and bang bang.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101224154929AAGecXx

Edited by Shoreline

If someone had all that knowledge they would put it into their own words. If they were going to use somebody else's answer, they simply cite where they got it from otherwise it is presumed that this is their work. What's so hard about that? It took seconds to copy/paste those paragraphs here, it surely can't be difficult to copy/paste the source.

That post looked way, way above the type of post I would see on LGW so instantly I took several words from one of the examples he gave, did a search on it, and bang bang.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101224154929AAGecXx

Point taken. I guess I'm naive when it comes to thinking people are honest most of the time so I give them more credit then is due. If you are going to copy and paste then yes you better provide a link and give credit where it's due.

I don't like Bettman anymore than the next guy, but there is clearly some very biased hate towards him that's unwarranted and misguided. He has at least financially done his job. As far as rules and gameplay, he is at the mercy of the NHLPA and the owners. We have seen it numerous times, since the lockout. If the majority wants something done it will happen, the most recent example is the shoot-out win points being removed from the tie-breaker criteria.

Huh? Shot-outs not used for tie breakers is a very minor change. Things that IMO need to be under discussion:

No touch icing

get rid of the trapezoid

3 points for all games if you can't get rid of the shootout

The stupid puck over the glass rule - change it back to what is was before the lockout

padding on the dasherboards

padding on the edge of the glass (i.e. the Chara hit)

every team plays every team at least twice

get rid of the teams that are losing money every year

no back-to-back in the playoffs

Instant Replay on all goals and the ability to overturn calls that are missed i.e. the intent to blow the whistle

Eliminate the instigator rule

Just a few things that should be changed. Currently NONE of them are being considered.

That silly tie thing that you mentioned is the only thing that has been done since the lockout

1)

Misconception: People he believe that he put teams in the deep south

Fact: John Ziegler announced Florida, Tampa, San Jose, and Anaheim and was President when Green announced the North Stars were moving

2)

Misconception: People believe that he orchestrated the change from historical division names to geographic division names

Fact: After numerous complaints from sportscasters (almost all of them Canadian), John Ziegler ordered an examination of the Conference and Division names in 1990. Using polls from season ticket holders at all 21 teams and the Hockey News, players and fans alike voted for the geographic names. The change was announced at the 1993 All-Star game by Gil Stein, who also showed off the new 'East' and 'West' jerseys for the 1994 All-Star Game

3)

Misconception: People are upset because he locked out the players....twice

Fact: The owners control Bettman. The reason Bettman was hired was because he was one of only two candidates who would agree to lock out the players if it came to that. For example, if you were in the running for the job, and you answered all the questions right, and then the last question ("Will you lock out the players?" and you said 'no'. You would no longer be considered.

4)

Misconception: Bettman's the reason the NHL is not on ESPN

Fact: The NHL was on ESPN from 1998 through 2004 under Bettman's watch, and he gave the owners the ESPN proposal first. Since ESPN only wanted to pay $18MM a year to the league, the owners voted 30-0 against it.

Bettman's unfortunate in the sense that he's been the Commissioner in the 'Internet' era where you can read what anybody says anytime. JOhn Ziegler was bashed regularly while he was President....a listen to any Canadian radio station call-in show would tell you that. Red Fisher in Montreal Gazette and Frank Orr of the Toronto Star were extremely hard on Ziegler. The difference was they had smaller audiences (seriously, how many of you ran to your local library to read the Toronto and Montreal papers in 1985?) than any writer/blogger has now.

He's not a likeable person...he's a lawyer, and he has absolutely no hockey background...unlike Ziegler who had season's tickets to Red Wings games (mind you, he was also the Red Wings lawyer from 1961 through 1977 as well). BUt he's made the lwague a stronger business and a stronger brand.

1. Ok but what about the other teams in poor hockey markets - Nashville, Atlanta, Phoneix, Columbus?

2. Very few people care about the division names. The issue is that the historical rivals were broken up to allow for teams in silly places like Nashville.

3. I agree about the lockout. it wasn't all Bettman

4. I agree about Versus

So 2 of those 4 points are legit. Was this written by a lawyer?

Continual record profits, climbing TV ratings, and a salary cap that keeps on rising. Easy extension decision.

I love how people put the versus deal on Bettman, you do know they offered the most money right? You also know the suspensions given to Lidstrom and Dastyuk were a unanimous decision agreed upon by every GM, including our own?

Every sport also has teams who lose money, even the great NFL. All this blind Bettman hate is ridiculous. Take some management or economic classes and you'll see why Bettman is doing a good job.

Yep.

Great post Konnan511.

1. Ok but what about the other teams in poor hockey markets - Nashville, Atlanta, Phoneix, Columbus?

2. Very few people care about the division names. The issue is that the historical rivals were broken up to allow for teams in silly places like Nashville.

3. I agree about the lockout. it wasn't all Bettman

4. I agree about Versus

So 2 of those 4 points are legit. Was this written by a lawyer?

No, it was plagiarized. If you read a few posts up, Shoreline found out where the poster got it from.

Guest Shoreline

Continual record profits, climbing TV ratings, and a salary cap that keeps on rising. Easy extension decision.

I love how people put the versus deal on Bettman, you do know they offered the most money right? You also know the suspensions given to Lidstrom and Dastyuk were a unanimous decision agreed upon by every GM, including our own?

Every sport also has teams who lose money, even the great NFL. All this blind Bettman hate is ridiculous. Take some management or economic classes and you'll see why Bettman is doing a good job.

Being a business major, you're also taught about the ethics portion of business.

Losing money is in fact a bad thing, and with revenue sharing encompassing every team, especially in the red, if we were really using wisdom of business logic and economic logic, you would use the universal shut down rule to imply that the Coyotes should be moved to a more profitable area (being over a decade long of debt non-profitability that the rest of the league inevitably has to cover for) or simply contracted and eliminated altogether.

When:

P < AC

and

TR < TC

A business must shut down and pursue profits elsewhere. This is considered long run, where the Coyotes for several years now have met this long run criteria to pack their s*** up and go or dissolve the team.

Now, since we're talking US economics, we're talking Gary "I wanna make the taxpayers of Glendale pay for a team" Bettman economics. What's the common feature? Economic belligerence, not knowing when to call off losses, perpetuated consumption without the revenue to justify it, and the debt financing collateral, which is forcing cities to issue bonds for the sake of private enterprise. This is downright stupid, not a "good job".

Edited by Shoreline

As a fan of the league's health, I am thrilled. As a fan of the game on ice, I am dissapointed.

Agree. He has done a good job of increasing revenues and the sort, but I am (generally) not happy with a lot of the changes to the game that have happened under his tenure.