• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shady Ultima

Next year could be big for the NHL

Rate this topic

I heard today that the NFL has decided that they are going to have a lockout for the 2011-2012 Football season. With Football being the most popular sport in the states, I see this being a huge opportunity for the NHL.

The NHL should get on ESPN, especially for those Sunday/Monday game times that were held by football.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I heard today that the NFL has decided that they are going to have a lockout for the 2011-2012 Football season. With Football being the most popular sport in the states, I see this being a huge opportunity for the NHL.

The NHL should get on ESPN, especially for those Sunday/Monday game times that were held by football.

They sorta have this thing called a contract.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Wouldn't get your hopes up, there still could be football. And even if there wasn't, Bettman thinks the NHL is fine on VS and NBC.

I don't think that's what was announced tonight. In fact, I specifically read articles saying the players weren't locked out yet. I think it's likely that the first couple games will be canceled, but does anyone really think the NFL, the most successful sports league in the US, is going to ruin everything with a total lock-out?

They sorta have this thing called a contract.

Isn't the TV contract set to expire after this season? Or did they re-up with Versus/NBC/Comcast/etc? I would love to see the NHL return to ESPN, which would likely mean a return of NHL 2Night program as well.

Wouldn't mind hearing this again (see attached).

Edited by aflac9262

And yet the best player of the NHL is out because of two illegal headshots that went unpunished.

Awesome, so much for NHL becoming a major sport...

Jezz man just marry the guy already. Your the biggest Crosby fan boy I know and my best friend growing up is a penguins fan.

And yet the best player of the NHL is out because of two illegal headshots that went unpunished.

Awesome, so much for NHL becoming a major sport...

:lol: The NHL is a major sport. In Canada every other sport combined can't pull NHL ratings. In the US Hockey isn't exactly Football, but they have a strong market share in some states and respectable market shares in others.

The players union has turned into an association and 10 players have already filed a lawsuit against the league for antitrust. It'll be interesting when training camps and the season is supposed to begin and the players don't have medical care or paychecks.

All in all, this is going to make major waves throughout all American Prosport leagues, strengthening the position and gap between owners and players. I foresee more college football, college basketball, and NBA coverage on ESPN before the NHL.

The players union has turned into an association and 10 players have already filed a lawsuit against the league for antitrust. It'll be interesting when training camps and the season is supposed to begin and the players don't have medical care or paychecks.

All in all, this is going to make major waves throughout all American Prosport leagues, strengthening the position and gap between owners and players. I foresee more college football, college basketball, and NBA coverage on ESPN before the NHL.

How could they really put more of those on? Seems like that's all I can see when I turn on SportsCenter. :blink:

I saw yesterday that P. Manning and Tom Brady had already set up lawsuits against the league, so it could get interesting. That being said, I doubt that the entire season will be locked out. As others above have said, there is too much to lose by canceling the whole shebang. I could imagine a couple weeks lost in the beginning of the season, but then everyone comes to their senses and renegotiates.

If not... well, I'd love to see the NHL back on ESPN with some greater coverage nationwide. I'm not really holding my breath, however.

As far as the best player in the league being out is concerned, I'm pretty sure Pavel came back a while ago.

In a way this kind of makes me sad because the Lions were showing some good potential at the end of last season so I was thinking this could have been a good year for them.

Edited by Lovin Jiri Fischer

I wish it were true, but I don't see any chance of the NHL gaining market share because of an NFL lockout. Unless the NFL loses an entire season, which I don't think will happen. October and November NHL is not interesting enough to attract mainstream attention. If the NHL playoffs were during the lockout, maybe they get some increase in ratings. But not for early season games.

If anyone is going to see an increase it is MLB playoffs and College Football.

You forgot poker, volleyball, bowling, and spelling bee's.

Unfortunately, This will squander my chances of seeing the BEARS win the division AGAIN and then properly spank the packers 2 if not 3 times and win the superbowl.

..But should the wings win the cup, it will brighten the outlook for sure.

Unfortunately, This will squander my chances of seeing the BEARS win the division AGAIN and then properly spank the packers 2 if not 3 times and win the superbowl.

You should be happy if there is a lockout. You do not want to give this Packers team a chance to repeat. They'll actually have a running back this year and their pro-bowl tight end. Youngest team in the league last year as Super Bowl Champs.

What, did they sign your monstorously fat ass to the o-line?

I wouldn't mind if the NFL decides to do a lockout next season on 2 counts. 1. Could be good for Hockey 2. NFL games always mess up my tv shows by making them late to come on or not airing at all.