• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kook_10

Ville Leino Scores Hat Trick

Rate this topic

Leino's care factor towards the end of his stay in Detroit summed up his character. He was playing like a defeated, worthless dud and while I would've liked to get more out of the trade, he clearly wasn't going to cut it in Detroit. Can't stand him.

Bottom line: Leino was terrible with the Wings.

Leino was lazy, small, and given nearly every opportunity to success here. He had the type of season Hudler had most of this year, but without the previous success and fierce comeback after 30 games. He was slow and wasn't physical. He looked out of place, disinterested, and brought practically nothing to the Wings. I'm surprised most of you guys are so vocally distrought, I'd like to see what Leino's reputation with most of LGW was at the time. With the intense Hudler bashing that went on this year, I can imagine Leino got ripped brutally and without remorse.

Want to know who was better with the Wings, is about a 45-50 point player now, was homegrown, was released for nothing at all, and brings a better overall game to the table? Tomas Kopecky. Where's all the seething Kenny bashing for that? I would still rather have Kopecky than Leino, and I don't like either one of them. At least Kopecky will check, fight, and act like he cares here.

Leino isn't good enough to play in our top six. If he was on our third line he probably wouldn't be a 60 point guy. He is essentially Hudler, but not as good, and probably has to play more minutes than Hudler to produce the same amount. Oh, Kenny and most other GM's in the league probably wouldn't trade Filpulla for Leino. For the 15 point drop, Fil brings a much better overall game to the table.

Edited by achildr1

Wow, talk about some bitter ex-girlfriends..

Things didn't work out for him in Detroit. I'm happy for him if it does in Philly. Proud of him for the hatty. Not so proud of all the hating.

Completely agree.

Also, someone mentioned Kopecky above as well. I don't understand all of the hate. The player (Leino) didn't work out here for a number of reason. Some didn't like his effort and frustration and that's understandable but you have to consider that part of why his effort lessened and he grew increasingly frustrated was because he didnt fit into the system. Im not making excuses for it but the real bottom line is that he didn't fit in Detroit. Is it frustrating we had a real good player but it didnt work? Of course. But don't hate on him.

Also, players like Leino and Kopecky are producing and finding success with their new teams with increased roles and ice time. Neither of those players would fit in the top 6 in Detroit and neither would be putting up those numbers here.

Everything he did with the Wings is even more irrelevant than his play before that.

Yeah his play in the sm ligga is much more relevant then his play in the NHL that took place more recently when we are talking about his NHL play :rolleyes:

Your attempt at saying the reason you like him isn't because he is Finnish is a pretty weak attempt.

Yeah his play in the sm ligga is much more relevant then his play in the NHL that took place more recently when we are talking about his NHL play :rolleyes:

Your attempt at saying the reason you like him isn't because he is Finnish is a pretty weak attempt.

To be fair, he has definitely bashed Finnish players before.

Leino was the normal Leino when he dominated SM-liiga playoffs. I didn't see that Leino here last season, but only a briefly the season before that. He was playing in the wrong role here. But of course every player needs to be able to be a 4th line checker, scoring winger and a net presence etc. whenever they play for the Red Wings and Babcock, right?

So you like Helm for example only because he's Canadian? Geez, these are pretty childish arguments, you know. Timonen is Finnish. Could I care less if he scores a goal? No. But say what you want.

Things didn't work out for him in Detroit. I'm happy for him if it does in Philly. Proud of him for the hatty. Not so proud of all the hating.

Why? We are fans? If a player doesn't do his best on this club, are we not allowed to have disdain for him?

If he isn't doing his best to entertain the people who pay his salary I am not going to enjoy watching him succeed on another club.

Why? We are fans? If a player doesn't do his best on this club, are we not allowed to have disdain for him?

If he isn't doing his best to entertain the people who pay his salary I am not going to enjoy watching him succeed on another club.

So the blame is entirely on the player, but not on the coaching staff or the GM who signed him?

So the blame is entirely on the player, but not on the coaching staff or the GM who signed him?

I'm not going to blame exterior sources on this team for a player not trying or acting like he cares. That's on him.

Babcock may not have put him in the right position to succeed, but he sure as hell didn't help.

Edited by Doc Holliday

x2 s*** happens if you got them all right Wings would win 82 games a year and there would be no reason to watch.

I love watching Leino play. He's just so different than most of today's players, some of his passes are absolutely amazing. I'd have to disagree strongly with those who say he can be a top 6 player in Philly but not in Detroit.

I love watching Leino play. He's just so different than most of today's players, some of his passes are absolutely amazing. I'd have to disagree strongly with those who say he can be a top 6 player in Philly but not in Detroit.

This is the main reason I like watching him. He's not perfect, but different. I think it's in a way "boring" to watch some of the game's best players because they're always the best, you know. Of course Datsyuk is a magician with the puck and makes exciting plays, but he rarely makes any mistakes and is one of the best players in the league.

I like watching Leino because he's not a superstar like Crosby, Ovechkin, Datsyuk etc. Also, he doesn't play like most of today's players - dump it in, get the puck, shoot, get the rebound. He has his own style, involving all these things he does with the puck, which sometime's may lead to a turnover, but maybe that's what makes it interesting.

I don't blame Leino for not performing well when he played with the Wings, perhaps his style didn't/couldn't mesh with this team or the role he was asked to play or whatever. What I do blame him for is playing lazy and as if he didn't care. If he had worked his butt off and not produced, been traded, and then become a great player I would be happy for him -- it is his lack of effort not his lack of production that creates the problem for me.

I don't blame Leino for not performing well when he played with the Wings, perhaps his style didn't/couldn't mesh with this team or the role he was asked to play or whatever. What I do blame him for is playing lazy and as if he didn't care. If he had worked his butt off and not produced, been traded, and then become a great player I would be happy for him -- it is his lack of effort not his lack of production that creates the problem for me.

It wasn't so much lack of effort as it was lack of 'defensive' effort. Leino was here to score, that's all he wanted to do. I guess it's hard to teach a 26 year old offensive dynamo to buy into the defense first mentality. Also, it's not like Leino is gritty, or added anything new to this team.

It wasn't so much lack of effort as it was lack of 'defensive' effort. Leino was here to score, that's all he wanted to do. I guess it's hard to teach a 26 year old offensive dynamo to buy into the defense first mentality. Also, it's not like Leino is gritty, or added anything new to this team.

I thought there was extreme lack of effort on both ends of the ice. It was more visible and evident on the defensive side but most of the time on the offensive end I only saw the effort if there was a clear scoring chance, there was no great effort to actually create that chance from nothing.

Yeah, well maybe after winning SM-liiga MVP and choosing to go through AHL with low salary instead of KHL with big money just to earn a roster spot in the NHL - which he did - he just magically stopped working hard then and didn't give any effort. Weird theory, but maybe that's what really happened. He could still earn a lot more in KHL, if that's what it was all about.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Yeah, well maybe after winning SM-liiga MVP and choosing to go through AHL with low salary instead of KHL with big money just to earn a roster spot in the NHL - which he did - he just magically stopped working hard then and didn't give any effort.

Maybe SM-liiga and the AHL are easier leagues to score in? Maybe, magically, his effort didn't change, but the effort required for a similar turnout did. And when he saw diminished returns, he got all mopey. Or tried to hard to score, ignoring the other half of the game. There's plenty of theories for what happened with him. Yours has a relatively low probability.

Maybe SM-liiga and the AHL are easier leagues to score in? Maybe, magically, his effort didn't change, but the effort required for a similar turnout did. And when he saw diminished returns, he got all mopey. Or tried to hard to score, ignoring the other half of the game. There's plenty of theories for what happened with him. Yours has a relatively low probability.

I didn't know I had a theory. Because I never really wasn't on the "Leino is lazy and sucks!" wagon. Edited by Finnish Wing

Yeah, well maybe after winning SM-liiga MVP and choosing to go through AHL with low salary instead of KHL with big money just to earn a roster spot in the NHL - which he did - he just magically stopped working hard then and didn't give any effort. Weird theory, but maybe that's what really happened. He could still earn a lot more in KHL, if that's what it was all about.

I didn't know I had a theory.

There ya go. I would have written it off as bitter, yet misplaced, sarcasm, but I figured the addition of magic to it indicated some sort of spiritualistic theory.

Guest Crymson

I didn't know I had a theory. Because I never really wasn't on the "Leino is lazy and sucks!" wagon.

The fact that he was traded despite such a low salary and good potential is proof positive that management considered him lazy. You may have noticed that players do not get traded from this team unless they are lazy, classless or in possession of a bad attitude.

I didn't know I had a theory. Because I never really wasn't on the "Leino is lazy and sucks!" wagon.

Which leads again to regardless of how much you try to defend him, he still stunk it up with the Wings and you are not going to change that fact nor people's thoughts about that in here. It is a wasted effort. Nobody should have any problems with you liking Ville Leino. I don't have a problem with anybody liking any specific athlete even if it is a villain or public enemy #1 athlete in here, that's your choice and nobody will change that. What is absolutely beyond aggravating is constantly stroking your favorite player's ego or making constant excuses for him for why things might be wrong and not accepting that maybe your favorite person is at fault and is not perfect (and you are definitely not the only one in here like this with certain players). Why? Because we already know where you stand before you even type, and it is completely different from where everybody else in here stands, so it's not worth the time and effort.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan