• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shaman

Valtteri Filppula watch thread

Rate this topic

Well, time to call out Filppula, hes disappeared again, only 2 points since in the last 13 games and is a -1. For what his role on the team is this is unacceptable and is hurting the team because he needs to be scoring because as we all know Zetterberg and Datsyuk can't score all the points for the Wings if they expect to go anywhere in the post season. So since this worked for Hudler (eventually) time for a Filppula watch thread.

PS

Hes lazy and he sucks™

Edited by Shaman464

He might be one of those guys who need more ice time, the effort seems to be there but he,s not generating much offense.

I don't like the fact that Babcock keeps changing his lines, the guys look like they have not played with each other a lot, the passes are not precise, it's not a pretty picture.

He's been back for 13 games? :omg:

Mule and Bert have been struggling for a lot of those games too, so it's not really much of a surprise. The way it looks now is that Fil will play on the second line for home games and the third line for road games. So hopefully he can get it going on home ice, at least.

He's been back for 13 games? :omg:

Mule and Bert have been struggling for a lot of those games too, so it's not really much of a surprise. The way it looks now is that Fil will play on the second line for home games and the third line for road games. So hopefully he can get it going on home ice, at least.

Only 8 since he's been back. Not sure why the OP used the last 13. I would have said 1 point in the last 11, it more clearly defines to slump range.

He has looked really out of sync since coming back. One or two games should have been enough to get back up to speed, maybe an extra to compensate for all the line juggling. He really hasn't been using his speed since October. He was playing with initiative, even shooting a fair amount, when Datsyuk was out, now he's back to not shooting.

I'm sure it doesn't help that no fowards besides Datsyuk and Helm seem able to score right now. Bert-Hank-Cleary looked great last game despite not scoring. Pav is awesome by himself. I say put Hudler with Pav and Homer, try to get Happy re-lit. Then try throwing Helm out there with Flip and Franzen. Mo/Abby/Draper/Miller & Eaves when he gets back still has the makings of a quality 4th line.

Only 8 since he's been back. Not sure why the OP used the last 13. I would have said 1 point in the last 11, it more clearly defines to slump range.

He has looked really out of sync since coming back. One or two games should have been enough to get back up to speed, maybe an extra to compensate for all the line juggling. He really hasn't been using his speed since October. He was playing with initiative, even shooting a fair amount, when Datsyuk was out, now he's back to not shooting.

I'm sure it doesn't help that no fowards besides Datsyuk and Helm seem able to score right now. Bert-Hank-Cleary looked great last game despite not scoring. Pav is awesome by himself. I say put Hudler with Pav and Homer, try to get Happy re-lit. Then try throwing Helm out there with Flip and Franzen. Mo/Abby/Draper/Miller & Eaves when he gets back still has the makings of a quality 4th line.

I thought they did too. Some people were dogging them in the GDT, but I thought they had great scoring opportunities and puck possession. I'd be a little reluctant to retool that line. The top line wasn't much of a threat other than the one man show that is Pavel Datsyuk.

As for Flip, I haven't really noticed him out there. He's never been flashy, but he at least had a similar style to Z. Now I feel like the only time I see him is chasing some guy trying to stick check him from behind.

Hopefully this thread will get him going. :D

I remember him saying a couple days ago that he was still sore and that it would be a couple more weeks before he was back to 100%.

I agree that the constant line juggling doesn't help, but at the same time he has played enough with all of those guys that I don't want to use lines as an excuse to why some guys are struggling.

He needs to get going, but I'm pretty confident he will. :thumbup:

Regarding line juggling, I thought this was an interesting comment from Babcock.

Babcock said he plans on using two sets of lines the rest of the regular season. Zetterberg will play with Datsyuk at home, where the Red Wings have the last change and can better control match-ups. They will be split on the road, forcing opponents to choose whom they will use their top checking line against.

"I’m trying to get it so that everybody is comfortable playing with whoever," Babcock said. "The other thing is a player doesn’t want to come to the rink every day and play with a different linemate. That’s why I’d like to have two scenarios. It’s important to be able to go back and forth with match-ups at playoff time."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/03/red_wings_henrik_zetterberg_pi.html

I think 3 players are the make or break players for the wings in the post season:

Jiri Hudler

Niklas Kronwall

Valtteri Filppula

if these three players are playing at the level we all know they can, than the wings are one of if not the deepest team in the league, but if they aren't playing their games than the wings become a lot more one dimensional and won't have as good a chance to go deep. We all know Filppula can be pretty unstoppable when hes hot, but the key to his future in Detroit is his slumps, when he slumps he just disappears and it sometimes is for a long period (10-15 games) and that puts a lot of pressure on Z and D to do all the producing, and any decent playoff caliber team will go out of their way to put their best D-men and shut down forwards on them. I would feel a lot better about the Wings' chances this post season if these three players and especially Flip come into it hot.

There is ZERO chemistry with any of the lines.

I cant remember any sustained pressure from the 3rd line. Just them playing defense.

Babcock will play this 3rd line in the playoffs,(Flip,Modano,Huds)and sit out Miller,Eaves and Mursak.

Just a shame. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Filppula hasn't been very good the past 2 games, but before that his was playing well, even though he had nothing to show for it. His production didn't drop until he was demoted to the third line (after putting up almost a PPG pace over 16 games), however, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Not to mention he was paired with Modano and Holmstrom, who he's never played with before. Even when he played on the second line, you can't blame him for having to play with Bertuzzi and Franzen.

this guy will never be more than a 40 pt player. the days of waiting for his 'potential' are over.

You're an idiot. :thumbup:

If Filppula was ever given a legit chance in the top six with competent teammates (read: not Bertuzzi and Franzen) for an entire season, he would break 70, guaranteed.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Filppula hasn't been very good the past 2 games, but before that his was playing well, even though he had nothing to show for it. His production didn't drop until he was demoted to the third line (after putting up almost a PPG pace over 16 games), however, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Not to mention he was paired with Modano and Holmstrom, who he's never played with before. Even when he played on the second line, you can't blame him for having to play with Bertuzzi and Franzen.

If Filppula was ever given a legit chance in the top six with competent teammates (read: not Bertuzzi and Franzen) for an entire season, he would break 70, guaranteed.

Oooh an empty guarantee from someone who has no true impact or sense of the control on the situation, sure sounds promising. Flippula has never even scored at over a 55 point pace proated for an entire season, and he has gotten top 6 minutes for more than a season now. The fact that you are calling Franzen an incompetent forward but not Filppula is laughable. Face it, Filppula is simply not as good as you think he is. He is a decent (and I say decent, not exemplerary) two way player with MAYBE 55 point potential over a full season. There is a reason why he rarely plays PK or a shutdown role, and he rarely shows this top tier offesnive skill you claim. I can vividly remember at least 4 goals this season where FIlppula got awarded a goal purley by accident (including two in one game where Franzen bounched it off him on purpose/Filppula lost the puck and accidentally slid it in between the goalies legs). Get off this dude's nuts and realize hes a good 2nd-3rd line tweener, and nothing more.

Franzen is not a competent teammate? On what grounds?

Because ZDC said he wasn't man and everything he says is true. Just look at how many 70 point seasons Filppula has had recently. Come on man, get with it.

Edited by GrindupaLine

I'm pretty sure Franzen having 1 goal in his past 18 games is a pretty good measure that he is incompetent. Even when he is scoring goals he doesn't do anything to generate sustained offense. He has an insane awesome shot, but that is literally his one and only talent (in short, pretty much the anti-Filppula). If he isn't shooting the puck, he may as well not be on the ice.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Oooh an empty guarantee from someone who has no true impact or sense of the control on the situation, sure sounds promising. Flippula has never even scored at over a 55 point pace proated for an entire season, and he has gotten top 6 minutes for more than a season now. The fact that you are calling Franzen an incompetent forward but not Filppula is laughable. Face it, Filppula is simply not as good as you think he is. He is a decent (and I say decent, not exemplerary) two way player with MAYBE 55 point potential over a full season. There is a reason why he rarely plays PK or a shutdown role, and he rarely shows this top tier offesnive skill you claim. I can vividly remember at least 4 goals this season where FIlppula got awarded a goal purley by accident (including two in one game where Franzen bounched it off him on purpose/Filppula lost the puck and accidentally slid it in between the goalies legs). Get off this dude's nuts and realize hes a good 2nd-3rd line tweener, and nothing more.

So what do you have to say about all the stretches of games where he DID score at/around a 70 point pace? The 15 points in 16 games he just had. 6 points in 7 games to start the season. 7 points in 7 games of the first round of the playoffs last year. 16 points in 20 games/28 points in 30 games last season after his injury? And the bulk of that was playing with third/fourth liners (and even on the third line himself), by the way.

If you want to argue that he isn't capable of sustaining the pace over an entire season, fine. But saying that when he is playing well, that he is just a third line player is just ridiculous, and counts out your entire opinion.

I'm hoping he comes alive in the post season. I've never been a big Flip fan, and I was not impressed when I heard how much he was signed for. I too am still waiting for him to have his "breakout season". I think this is about the 3rd season in a row now that was supposed to happen....

And now instead, people are saying he needs to play more minutes and he'll have his breakout season??? You need to prove yourself worthy of more ice time before you get it. In my opinion, Flip has always been a timid player with confidence issues.

:lol:

You're worse than eva.

I'm pretty sure Franzen having 1 goal in his past 18 games is a pretty good measure that he is incompetent. Even when he is scoring goals he doesn't do anything to generate sustained offense. He has an insane awesome shot, but that is literally his one and only talent (in short, pretty much the anti-Filppula). If he isn't shooting the puck, he may as well not be on the ice.

You obviously aren't watching the games.