• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shaman

Valtteri Filppula watch thread

Rate this topic

”I don't see him playing permanently for the Detroit Red Wings”, says GM of the organization Ken Holland in an interview with Urheilulehti (10/2011).

I knew Holland was good but to actually be able to give quotes....FROM THE FUTURE!!!! The man continues to amaze!

Filppula has been getting second line ice time all season, and his average per-game is 5th on the team in ES ice time (about 14 minutes, Hank and Dats play 15 1/2) and 4th in overall (almost 17 minutes, Hank and Dats play 19 1/2). If that's "less" ice time, what would you say he should be playing? On par with two of the top five forwards in the world? Sorry, he will never, EVER be that good.

Thank you for purposefully ignoring what I've said that answers your question. Oh, and reality too.

After Filppula had 15 points in 16 games he was demoted down to the third line. Coincidentally (or not) when his "cold streak" started.

And let me say again that Filppula had 16 points in 20 games playing with worse players when our team was full of injuries.

hysterical.gif

You are, if anything, consistently on Hudler's nutsack. Funny stuff.

For the 11 games Hudler/Datsyuk/Cleary were together, Hudler led the line in scoring, scored at a 100-point pace, and created a good portion of the goals. And he was playing second line ice time while he did it.

It's not the first time Hudler has been that hot offensively over 10+ games, either. From Oct. 18th to Nov 22nd of 2008-09 Hudler scored at a 100+ point pace while playing third line ice time.

If Hudler was given consistent time on a scoring line with top-six players, he'd be scoring a point per game every season. For those of you all set to say "He stopped scoring once he was separated from Datsyuk" he had been scoring at nearly a point per game for 20 games before Dats came back, and since he has been separated from Dats he's been playing on the fourth line. Even though he scored at least one point in 9 of the 11 games with Dats.

In other words, what I said was a fact. Hudler has shown he is capable of being a high-end offensive player; Filppula has yet to show that.

For the 11 games Hudler/Datsyuk/Cleary were together, Hudler led the line in scoring, scored at a 100-point pace, and created a good portion of the goals. And he was playing second line ice time while he did it.

It's not the first time Hudler has been that hot offensively over 10+ games, either. From Oct. 18th to Nov 22nd of 2008-09 Hudler scored at a 100+ point pace while playing third line ice time.

If Hudler was given consistent time on a scoring line with top-six players, he'd be scoring a point per game every season. For those of you all set to say "He stopped scoring once he was separated from Datsyuk" he had been scoring at nearly a point per game for 20 games before Dats came back, and since he has been separated from Dats he's been playing on the fourth line. Even though he scored at least one point in 9 of the 11 games with Dats.

In other words, what I said was a fact. Hudler has shown he is capable of being a high-end offensive player; Filppula has yet to show that.

That still doesn't change the PERCEPTION (and you can pretty much put this as truth as well) that you ride Hudler's coattails in an absurd fashion, bringing him in on just about anything imaginable even when the subject manner doesn't need to include him. You can throw all the stats and numbers all you want at people, but that doesn't change the PERCEPTION and why you get ragged on constantly on here, fair or not.

someone hasn't been watching the games...

Kenny really said that? I don't know. I'm pretty skeptical of that one. And even if he did, are we sure he didn't mean this season?

No need to be skeptical. This is no afternoon trash magazine. It's a sport magazine and the Finnish interviewer was at Joe Louis doing this interview. Also, my translation isn't that bad, I think.

No need to be skeptical. This is no afternoon trash magazine. It's a sport magazine and the Finnish interviewer was at Joe Louis doing this interview. Also, my translation isn't that bad, I think.

If it's true, then I'm just surprised Kenny said it like, "I don't see him playing permanently for the Detroit Red Wings." I've never heard Kenny completely strip all hope like that. Usually the guys in Wings management say, "Maybe he'll surprise us" or "He'll have to work on his skating" or something in that manner. If anything, I suspect he meant specifically this year, as in 2010-2011, Ilari wouldn't be a regular in the Wings lineup.

If it's true, then I'm just surprised Kenny said it like, "I don't see him playing permanently for the Detroit Red Wings." I've never heard Kenny completely strip all hope like that. Usually the guys in Wings management say, "Maybe he'll surprise us" or "He'll have to work on his skating" or something in that manner. If anything, I suspect he meant specifically this year, as in 2010-2011, Ilari wouldn't be a regular in the Wings lineup.

Well, you have to google translate the whole article and read it. I posted it in the "Filppula snr." thread. Kenny does say something like "he has to work harder".

Kenny really said that? I don't know. I'm pretty skeptical of that one. And even if he did, are we sure he didn't mean this season?

If it really was Future Kenny, he would know whether or not he trades him in the off season. Maybe that's why he said it.

This.

This...has some merit but I don't think anyone here believes he is playing even close to his potential...then again, who is? Helm is the one guy that plays hard EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. As for Flip, he is in with the herd of underacheiving wings right now. Take a spot in the line Fil!

Just to re-ignite an old debate for old time's sake, Hudler and Flip are tied in points. Now, consider that Hudler struggled like crazy to start the season, assume he plays like he has been (how he's always played) for a full season, and he blows Flip out of the water points-wise. Flip continues to postpone his "breakout year" that we're all waiting for. A reliable guy who I have nothing against, but I don't feel he's an integral part of the team like others have suggested in the past.

Edited by VM1138

I wonder if bringing up his brother would light a fire in Val. No one likes to be shown up by their brother ;)

Just to re-ignite an old debate for old time's sake, Hudler and Flip are tied in points. Now, consider that Hudler struggled like crazy to start the season, assume he plays like he has been (how he's always played) for a full season, and he blows Flip out of the water points-wise. Flip continues to postpone his "breakout year" that we're all waiting for. A reliable guy who I have nothing against, but I don't feel he's an integral part of the team like others have suggested in the past.

To be fair, Hudler has played more games, and Val hasn't played with Dats really at all this season. Hudler has also gotten PP time whereas I haven't seen Val out on the PP much if at all since he's been back. Also, I thought Huds was supposed to be a goal scorer? Why does he only have 8 goals, whereas Val has 13?

Edited by Lonewuhf

someone hasn't been watching the games...

I will correct my statement. He has been playing fourth line ice time with linemates who are also playing fourth-line ice time or close to it, with the exception of the one game he played with Flip as one of his linemates.

So while he may not be on the ACTUAL fourth line...he's basically on the fourth line. He was only scoring 1.27 PPG over the previous 11 games, which is a 104-point pace. Clearly that wasn't good enough for Babcock.

I will correct my statement. He has been playing fourth line ice time with linemates who are also playing fourth-line ice time or close to it, with the exception of the one game he played with Flip as one of his linemates.

So while he may not be on the ACTUAL fourth line...he's basically on the fourth line. He was only scoring 1.27 PPG over the previous 11 games, which is a 104-point pace. Clearly that wasn't good enough for Babcock.

If only we had a good coach, Hudler would be winning scoring titles.

Get it done Kenny.

I blame the terrorists for secretly telling Mike Babcock to push Jiri Hudler to a different line when line combos change all the time in hockey. Rat bastards.

Flip is an integral part of the team as a defensive, playmaking center. We all hoped he would turn into a 60+ point player but that likely isn't going to happen. Not every second liner is going to put up those points and I don't think it's a failure if he doesn't. Even as a third (scoring line) line center he is a good fit IMO.

I blame the terrorists for secretly telling Mike Babcock to push Jiri Hudler to a different line when line combos change all the time in hockey. Rat bastards.

Yep, breaking up the hottest line in hockey when all three were absolutely on fire, that makes sense.

Now can we get back to FILPPULA?