• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kira

Former Buffalo Sabre Rick Martin passes away

Rate this topic

Apparently Martin had agreed to donate his brain to research like Probert had. They found brain damage similar to the other former nhl players brains they've studied. His only known concussion was in 1977 when his head hit the ice while not wearing a helmet.

I don't want to turn this thread into a concussion debate. I just thought this was relevant to the thread and surprising.

Researchers studying the brain of seven-time All-Star Rick Martin found damage consistent with the trauma they found in other former NHL players. The difference is Martin wasn't a fighter.

Martin is the first non-enforcer who has been diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy by researchers at a Boston University brain bank.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7065080/ex-buffalo-sabres-great-rick-martin-had-damage-consistent-cte

Apparently Martin had agreed to donate his brain to research like Probert had. They found brain damage similar to the other former nhl players brains they've studied. His only known concussion was in 1977 when his head hit the ice while not wearing a helmet.

I don't want to turn this thread into a concussion debate. I just thought this was relevant to the thread and surprising.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7065080/ex-buffalo-sabres-great-rick-martin-had-damage-consistent-cte

he cracked his head open on the ice, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out why his concussion issues were so bad. Luckily, all players wear helmets now so most don't have to worry about this unless they are a fighter who took their lid or their helmet falls off during play which is rare.

Another death. This has not been a good year for the NHL or its fans. One can only hope 2012 will be eons better. My condolences to his family and friends. He is at peace now, and one with the stars.

I know the title is misleading, since it was posted when this initially happened, but this is an update, not a report of a new death... this occurred last winter(still technically the same caldender year, but not exactly part of the recent rash) and the updates are in regards to connections with concussions...

Edited by stevkrause