• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jollymania

Brule crushes Letang

Rate this topic

Yea... I was watching the game and the announcers were just embarrassing. They actually compared the hit to the one on Stuart, what a joke, even all the Pens fans I know hate them, homerism at its prime...

as for the hit... Clean hit, he even made sure that he kept his arms tucked and down so that he wouldn't get him in the head.

crash

On the first viewing I was thinking I would be OK with charging being called, but on the replays it shows him with his arm tucked into his chest and he COASTED into him.

My thoughts exactly, through and through.

Also, I appreciate the BTBAM reference.

these guys should have been singers...

Hands up! Hands up! Underneath the chin!

Hands up! Hands up! Underneath the chin!

It is pathetic how they compare this hit to Kostopulos' one. Kostopulos used his elbow to target Stuart's head.

However, I still don't like this hit. It was late and Brule made multiple steps towards Letang to specifically hit him harder. However, Clutterbuck always hits like this and most people are quite impressed. I just wouldn't like one of our players to be at the receiving end of such hits.

Guest Crymson

the commentary is just cringe-worthy

I'm going to be a rebel and listen with the sound ON!

Edit: Yeah, that was terrible. Then again, they're amongst the worst in the league in commentary.

Edited by Crymson

That was so rediculous, I can't believe those guys have jobs. Go do commentary for curling, I don't want to hear one more minute of that nonsense. That hit was clean, from directly in front of Letang, arms were chest level, and the hit was delivered within a second of him releasing the puck. Its near text-book.

Sorry Pittsburgh, your 5'8" defenseman got buryed by a guy that isn't known for big hits on a clean check. Get over it.

Guest Shoreline

Whenever I watch a game with the Penguins vs anybody else, I try and find the "anybody else" broadcast. These guys suck, and they can shove their whiny, nanny babysitting league where the sun doesn't shine.

Edited by Shoreline

Notice that the ref is starring right at it from about 4 feet away and his arm is not up, which means the moronic ref from center ice must have called it. Unless that ref just forgot to put his arm up.

Everyone is noting that he had his arm tucked in; what you are not noting is that he hit him arm first. When you hit a guy cleanly in hockey, you don't just blindly charge in and ram him as happened in this situation. A clean hit is done with the... say it with me...SHOULDER.

Brule hit him straight on with his arms, and what made Letang bleed was Brule jumping into Letang, and Brule's helmet hitting Letang's jaw.

If Brule had hit Letang cleanly, Brule wouldn't have carried over top of him because a clean hockey hit transfers most of your forward momentum, and keeps you standing on the ice.

Yes, I know Letang is the best Penguin currently playing.

Guest Shoreline

Everyone is noting that he had his arm tucked in; what you are not noting is that he hit him arm first. When you hit a guy cleanly in hockey, you don't just blindly charge in and ram him as happened in this situation. A clean hit is done with the... say it with me...SHOULDER.

Brule hit him straight on with his arms, and what made Letang bleed was Brule jumping into Letang, and Brule's helmet hitting Letang's jaw.

If Brule had hit Letang cleanly, Brule wouldn't have carried over top of him because a clean hockey hit transfers most of your forward momentum, and keeps you standing on the ice.

Yes, I know Letang is the best Penguin currently playing.

I can concede to the notion that the hit wasn't entirely clean in the scenario you gave. OTOH, don't agree at all that a clean hit keeps you standing on the ice. Obviously that makes dirty quite a large number of clean hits.

I watched with no sound, so I'm not sure what the announcers were saying. Assuming they were pretty annoying as usual though.

First time I checked, it looked like his right arm and glove was up in the chin area, but it looks okay (pretty close though). Couldn't have been that anyway, if it was, would have been a headshot, more significant penalty.

When looking again and focusing on his skates, he does look to jump into the hit a little. His skates only leave the ice by a very small amount, but it looks like he starting jumping into it before he made contact.

I'll admit, I'm playing devil's advocate and looking for a reason for the call to be legit. My first instinct was that it was clean. After watching it several times, to be honest, I'd be okay with whatever call they made. Since it was only a 2 minute charging call, there's no big deal here.

I can concede to the notion that the hit wasn't entirely clean in the scenario you gave. OTOH, don't agree at all that a clean hit keeps you standing on the ice. Obviously that makes dirty quite a large number of clean hits.

A clean hit will often propel you off the ice on contact, but not before. Perhaps I should have specified for those who think Brule hit Letang cleanly?

I am really almost starting to think the game needs an off-ice official, who can see replays and over-rule calls and/or radio to on-ice officials to call them when missed... I know it's a slippery slope, but with how fast the game is and how bang-bang plays are AND in the interest of removing head shots, something's got to give...

This hit was a beauty and there was NOTHING wrong with it and I'll even go one further and say that if the game had been closer, this may not have been called, but the ref could have associated it with frustration and therefore, assumed it was dirty...

I can see the Stuart/Kostopoulos comparisons because of the position and timing of the hit, but in no way is it the same hit. Kostopoulos got his left arm out and pegged Stuart in the head, Brule glided into his hit with his arms tucked in and was square to Letang. The fact is Letang put himself in a vulnerable position to make a play, and Brule finishing a clean check shouldn't be an issue. The Pittsburgh announce team always makes me glad that I have a mute button.