• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

Everyone is noting that he had his arm tucked in; what you are not noting is that he hit him arm first. When you hit a guy cleanly in hockey, you don't just blindly charge in and ram him as happened in this situation. A clean hit is done with the... say it with me...SHOULDER.

Brule hit him straight on with his arms, and what made Letang bleed was Brule jumping into Letang, and Brule's helmet hitting Letang's jaw.

If Brule had hit Letang cleanly, Brule wouldn't have carried over top of him because a clean hockey hit transfers most of your forward momentum, and keeps you standing on the ice.

Yes, I know Letang is the best Penguin currently playing.

You must really dislike Kronwall's hits then seeing as he almost always carries over top of the other player.

#42 alex1978

alex1978

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:53 PM

Very very interesting post..I like this one. gotta bookmark this one.

#43 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

You must really dislike Kronwall's hits then seeing as he almost always carries over top of the other player.

A large portion of Kronwall's big hits are absolutely penalty-worthy. Jumping into a guy as part of your hit is a charging penalty. That's plain and simple.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#44 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:29 AM

"You CAN GLIDE into a guy, but you can't stride into a guy" - Bill Clement in NHL 11.

Brule didn't stride. He glided. That's not a charge.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#45 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

"You CAN GLIDE into a guy, but you can't stride into a guy" - Bill Clement in NHL 11.

Brule didn't stride. He glided. That's not a charge.

I'm assuming you are joking, but just in case, did you really just quote NHL 11 to try and explain a rule?

Gliding vs. striding into a guy has nothing to do with charging or not. Almost all hits happen from a guy "gliding" in as he needs to get his balance set. If you don't glide in, it probably won't work out to well for you.

#46 hamip1998

hamip1998

Rookie

• Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:32 AM

Rule 42 - Charging

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

This is a text book charging call in any league Ive watched or have played in. Trust me I have the same amount of dislike for Pittsburgs as most of you. The unwitten ruls is if your more then 3 strdes away and targeting a player (gliding at the end or not) it is a charge. NHL and refs got it spot on. As well in this case Brule had plenty of time to aviod the collision after Letang got rid of the puck.

Shame on the commentators to try to compare this with the head shot issue that the league is trying to fix. 2 min minor nothing more nothing less.

As for someone already mentioned what most coaches would think of of this play. Long as it was early or mid game, you take that peanlty. Set the tone and make the other teams defence edgy to make them rush and make mistakes.

my .02

The "unwritten rule" is what I was referring to. I should have been more specific.

In retrospect I am not sure how far away that Brule was from Letang when he started his "glide". From the replay, it didn't look like he took 4 or five strides in his direction and drilled him, which to me is a charge. By the strictest definition of the rule, half of the time that guys go into the corners they get "charged", yet it's hardly ever called. Personally I have seen more boarding calls being made over the years than charging calls.

Point is, a ref can't catch every infraction every time. Interpretations of rules, unless there is a clear and obvious violation, is still subjective based upon the refs view on the ice when it happens. For example, I personally don't agree that a touch or tap on the opposing players gloves with your stick blade warrants a hooking call but how many times do we see that in a game?

While I didn't and don't like the clutching and grabbing style of the early 90's, I am one of those fans that doesn't like to see 10 or 12 power plays a game, either. Life isn't fair. I think the refs should call the penalties that they are sure of or mostly sure of and if they aren't they should let it go.

Edited by hamip1998, 15 March 2011 - 09:41 AM.

#47 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:26 AM

Rule 42 - Charging

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A "charge" may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

This is a text book charging call in any league Ive watched or have played in.

Poorly written rule I think....

Reading that does that mean that this should be TOP 10 "Charges" for the week of 1-18-2011??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOVNWnuw5dk

Just sayin' the line to be drawn is in the eye of the official.
Some of those were way worse than the hit on Letang too...

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan, 15 March 2011 - 10:27 AM.

#48 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

I'm assuming you are joking, but just in case, did you really just quote NHL 11 to try and explain a rule?

Gliding vs. striding into a guy has nothing to do with charging or not. Almost all hits happen from a guy "gliding" in as he needs to get his balance set. If you don't glide in, it probably won't work out to well for you.

You don't respect Bill Clement's authority?!
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#49 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

If we wanna broadly interpret "charging", then anyone who follows through or finishes on a hit is charging. I can see the technical aspects of the Brule hit that might make it illegal, but all in all, this hit is fine.

I can understand the logic of trying to eliminate injuries but the parallel between this and the NFL is.. it's a physically violent sport. Surely the worst of the worst get rightfully ostracized, but why are people romanticizing hitting? I don't want to see the NHL product go the same way of the NFL in these regards.

#50 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:20 PM

Poorly written rule I think....

Reading that does that mean that this should be TOP 10 "Charges" for the week of 1-18-2011??

Just sayin' the line to be drawn is in the eye of the official.
Some of those were way worse than the hit on Letang too...

If you are referring to #10, that's definitely a charge. He leaves his feet before contact.

#51 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

If you are referring to #10, that's definitely a charge. He leaves his feet before contact.

Exactly. Distance travelled (which many people like to quote number of steps....which really isn't in the rule at all) is one way you can get called for charging. However, I think the most common reason for a charging penalty is when you leave your feet to make the hit. When I look at the video, it looks to me like Brule left his feet before he made contact, which is why I'm okay with the call.

Someone may argue that they see it differently and that he didn't leave his feet (even though video doesn't really lie on that), that's fine, then you are arguing he should have rec'd a 2 minute penalty...so what? How is that different than arguing about a bad tripping call? I don't see how this call is because the league is moving away from big body checks in anyway whatsoever.

#52 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

That ridiculous commentary made me throw up a little...

#53 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Is this going to become weekly thing?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#54 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

jesus, the NHL is going to s***.

#55 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

Haha. Love the hit, but I can see why they called a charge. It happens, get over it. I'd only be bothered if he was ejected and/or was banned.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#56 Feldmarschall

Feldmarschall

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

The fault is on Letang for not keeping his head, hands, and stick up to protect himself. He got caught completely stationary, turned around, watched his pass for a second, forgot about the forecheck in doing so, and got buried. Brule coasted in, hit him front-on, with his arms up on his chest, while Letang was totally unready to get hit hit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this play from Brule's end.

#57 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

The fault is on Letang for not keeping his head, hands, and stick up to protect himself. He got caught completely stationary, turned around, watched his pass for a second, forgot about the forecheck in doing so, and got buried. Brule coasted in, hit him front-on, with his arms up on his chest, while Letang was totally unready to get hit hit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this play from Brule's end.

yep, 100% letangs fault. this concussion hysteria really bothers me, people know the risks, now how about the nhl quits being so utterly wimpy, having all teams be as wimpy as the red wings would be BAD for the game.

#58 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

no he doesn't
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#59 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

no he doesn't

I bet Todd Bertuzzi's attack on Steve Moore was justified and no penalty should have been called, right?

jesus, the NHL is going to s***.

I'm going to start jumping into hits, leading with my helmet, hands, and elbows and see how that does for me in my hockey games. I bet I spend a lot of time watching from a small box.

#60 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

Posted Image

It's for your health.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg