• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Across The Pond

Ozzie back

Rate this topic

Looks as if Ozzie's back now, according to Official Detroit Red Wings on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/DETROITREDWINGS

Doesn't say if Joey's down again which I assume he is, or when he's going to be really ready for action.

EDIT: Confirmed on Twitter too

http://twitter.com/detroitredwings

Edited by Wing Across The Pond

Very good news, I'm hoping this gives Osgood a real fresh mindframe coming back into the season. Already hit his 400 win mark, fixed his pain that he overcame and played with and had time to practice for awhile now. He's very capable of being one of the best when you need him, I hope he comes back swinging!

I'm always happy to see positive articles about him. Of course this is pretty much what we all know but still...

My link

The Red Wings are virtually back to full health now and the guy most excited about their latest development might be Jimmy Howard. Detroit activated goalie Chris Osgood from injured reserve after Osgood missed the last few weeks recovering from sports hernia surgery.

With Osgood back, Joey MacDonald heads back to the AHL but more importantly Osgood provides coach Mike Babcock with a more viable option to give Howard a rest heading into the playoffs. Ideally Osgood gives the Red Wings a better chance to win games than MacDonald did and before suffering from the hernia, Osgood had been playing reasonably well compared to last season. With a 2.77 goals against average and a .903 save percentage his numbers weren’t all that different from Howard’s.

Making sure that Howard is energized for the postseason could be a priority for the Wings.Detroit has an eight point lead on Chicago in the Central Division and trail Vancouver by nine points for the top spot in the Western Conference while staying ahead of San Jose for the two seed by four points. Provided they can keep the Blackhawks and Sharks far enough in their rear view mirror and not eke any closer to the Canucks, Detroit would essentially be staying warm for the playoffs at that point.

With Osgood back in the fold, expect to see him get his fair share of action in Detroit’s final 13 games. The Wings have two sets of back-to-back game days (March 16-17, April 2-3) so you’d think that Osgood at least has two guaranteed starts there in that mix.

It's funny as disappointed as I've been with him in the recent past(though the little he has played this season has been much better), I still get excited to hear he's coming back. Also...13 games left? damn, playoffs are coming up quick.

I think Babcock HAS to run a 50-50 split going into the playoffs. We don't want a tired Howard and we don't want a rusty Ozzie trying to salvage the playoffs if Howard falters.

With 13 games left I want to see 7 for Howard and 6 for Ozzie.

This exactly. As Osgood himself explained during Wingspan I believe it was, you can always practice non-stop during practice with the team but you can expect the shots and have a clear view, almost anticipate each shot. In real games, it's A LOT different. Osgood needs practice following the puck and moving to the speed of the game since his injury, the only way to warm him up and give Howard some time to get ready for the task ahead of him is to play Osgood.

Eaves w00t2.gif cleared to play Raf back on Wednesday. Excite

Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said forward Patrick Eaves (groin) has been cleared to play, but he hasn't set his lineup yet for Wednesday's game against the Washington Capitals (7:30 p.m., FSD). Eaves has missed the past eight games.“Once we know who's available we'll decide on the roster after that,'' Babcock said.

Defenseman Brian Rafalski (back spasms), as expected, will return to action in that game, after missing seven games. Chris Osgood will dress as Jimmy Howard's backup.

mlive

I think Babcock HAS to run a 50-50 split going into the playoffs. We don't want a tired Howard and we don't want a rusty Ozzie trying to salvage the playoffs if Howard falters.

With 13 games left I want to see 7 for Howard and 6 for Ozzie.

Not gonna happen.

Love to hear this. I'm happy to see both goaltenders healthy and alive. should be exciting to watch both of them perform

I just wonder when they hear all the Howie vs Ozzie debates, if they're way more competitive with eachother