• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HankthaTank

Bettman 5 step plan

Rate this topic

Per @TSNBob McKenzie, the commissioner has outlined a 5 step plan for head injuries:

1. Brendan Shanahan working with NHLPA to expedite equipment modifications.

2. Revised concussion protocol. If player is suspected to have had one, must be removed from the bench for assessement in quiet area.

3. Fines and/or suspensions for clubs and coaches of players/teams that rack up high number of suspensions. No details yet.

4. Safety engineers to make sure all NHL arenas conform to safe standards and to come up with ideas to "soften" environment.

5. Special committee of Shanahan, R Blake, Yzerman, Niuewendyk to continue investigating this issue.

GMs weigh in tomorrow with their thoughts/recommendations.

LGW, your thoughts?

I was expecting

1. Become Commissioner

2. Move all teams out of Canada

3. Watch as they fail miserably in a desert

4. Argue that they are making more money

5. Claim that the fans don't know hockey like he does.

you forgot a special committee of shanahan, yzerman, etc. that will be in charge of shutting their mouths and agreeing with everything he says.

The "softer" boards are an absolute necessity. The others are a bit of "look, we're doing stuff" that won't accomplish much.

Honestly, increased punishment and consistency for such hits is necessary. Smaller shoulder pads could go a long way toward helping as well.

Also, allowing the players more leeway to fight could help, and I'm no enforcer junkie.

i like #1,#4 a lot. i don't know about #3 though, id have to see the details, but its not the club's fault if one of their players headshots someone. The equipment is one of those things that seems to be a big contributor to this issue. I'm glad its finally being addressed.

I actually really like #3. I was watching the NHL network as they announced this 5 step plan. They made a great point about why teams and coaches should hold some accountability to these injuries.

There are many players who are on the borderline of playing in the NHL and not playing at all. A lot of these players who give hard hits are the 3rd and 4th liners. Coaches are constantly telling their players that they need to, "finish your check.. hit hard... wear the other team down." For some of these players, the only way that they can maintain to keep their job is to appease their coach.

There are also a lot of coaches that will send their goons, fighters, enforcers, etc to send some retaliation for a previous fight or injury that occurred. There needs to be shared blame to all parties for these injuries. It isn't just players who are intentionally aiming to injure. Coaches are putting tons of pressure on their players to almost do anything in order to win.

My point is that the players, teams, coaches, and the league are all to blame for the concussions. Aside from Brenden Shanahan working with the equipment and arena's to make the game safer, this is my next favorite point of this plan. I hate to admit it, but I agree with Bettman :scared:

I half expected his plan to be:

1. Become commissioner.

2. ?

3. ?

4. ?

5. Profit!

You forgot one step...

1. Become commissioner.

2. ?

3. Steal underpants

4. ?

5. Profit!

You know, Bettman is just about the right height to be an underpants gnome. As for the actual #3 on fines/suspensions, who exactly is going to be in charge of that, Colin Campbell & Hockey Operations? Ah I can smell the controversy already.

You forgot one step...

1. Become commissioner.

2. ?

3. Steal Crosby's underpants

4. ?

5. Profit!

You know, Bettman is just about the right height to be an underpants gnome. As for the actual #3 on fines/suspensions, who exactly is going to be in charge of that, Colin Campbell & Hockey Operations? Ah I can smell the controversy already.

fixed it for you :P

But in seriousness, why not make the boards out of nerf and the glass out of saran wrap? That'll soften things up a lot.

I think that this is just a way to do nothing in the guise of actually have done something. I won't hold my breath that any real improvements will be made until after I see what they decide and what the results are.

You forgot one step...

1. Become commissioner.

2. ?

3. Steal underpants

4. ?

5. Profit!

gnomes_plan-jpeg.png?w=400&h=302

how about players keep their head up?

in all seriousness if they start punishing north south hits to the head i will no longer watch the nhl. the only one to blame for a north south hit to the head is the player with the puck.

Edited by wings1110