• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GrindupaLine

What is Helm's offensive potential?

Rate this topic

Helm's upside?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We all know Helm is a great player and penalty killer, and will most likely be a fixture on the Wing's third line for years to come. Due to his recent hot steak however, has anyone else gotten the feeling that he may develop better offensively then most first projected? I always had him as a bit more talented version of Draper, someone who would put in 15 goals and 25 assists a year, but his recent hot streak has made me a believer in his offensive potential, and I honestly think we could have a Kesler light on our hands. I know he'll never score a ppg season or 30 goals, but is a 25 goal season/60 points possible for this guy in a year or two if placed on a scoring line/given more minutes? I like to think this could be so, as his hands have tremendously improved throughout this year, and he is still only 24, and putting up comparable numbers to what "2nd liners" like Filppula put at that age.

Edit: I was typing this fast and misspelled offensive in the title, if a mod could change that it would be great. Thanks in advance

Edited by GrindupaLine

Helm is going to be the next Draper. I absolutely love one thing about Helm, he is willing to learn and expand his game. You can consistantly see him change and listen to the people around him, he's not naive. He also trys to mimic the players around him, Draper during the offseason and in the beginning of the season taught him how to use his speed and you can definitely tell hes been learning. Helm last season used to just fly down the ice like a bat out of hell, he still does it day in and day out but he's alot smarter with it. He's also learning how to use his hands. What scares me is teams offering him a nice chunk of change because they see his potential, i'm hoping he isn't too greedy and wants to stay with Hockeytown. Helm will definitely be a top player in upcoming seasons, I can only see him getting better.

I think Helm is capable of reaching 20 goals/season simply because of his work ethic and hustle. He's the type of guy who can will the puck into the net. I don't know if he has quite the raw talent that Kesler, or even Filpulla has, but given his skill set, I wouldn't have even expected him to be as productive as he has been. His hard work has really opened doors for him, and its not out of the question that he becomes a 40+ point-getter.

Edit: And just an aside, but Helm's character is what wins Stanley Cups, and I'm hoping to death that its contagious this year.

Edited by Echolalia

Guest CaliWingsNut

If Helm never scored a point, I'd still want him on my team for his PK and speed.

His faceoff percentage isn't bad this season either.

I predict he'll likely get a few peak seasons in the 40's with 20-25 goals.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

I see him being a reliable secondary scorer: 20 goal average per year, 25 on good years.

I don't see him finishing below 20 goals a year (aside from this year probably) for a while, now that he's found his hands.

The key is not that he's suddenly scored a bunch of goals, but how he does it. This is a guy who can get to the net reliably and always makes something happen. It's not like he's just getting easy goals (though his breakaways are nice), he's making these happen, which is a trait a lot of "scorers" don't have, which is why they are often so inconsistent.

Gut says Kesler Light. Fast, and he's quickly developing the hands needed to score on the opportunities that his speed generates. Key is going to be solid lines around him that can make use of that speed, and locking him up for a while in Detroit. From everything I've heard he bleeds Red and White, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay here for the duration.

Don't forget, Helm has gotten these points playing exclusively with lo-end goal scorers & Babcock has rewarded him with ZERO minutes on the PP.....yet in his limited minutes per game he has scored some huge goals including 7th game goals,OT game winners,& a series ending OT goal. If I was the coach,he would be the first guy I would have on the ice in 4 on 4 situations in OT ....with his speed he can play at both ends equally as well. I would love to see him get to play a few games up with the big boys just to see what would happen. He has always been a long shot through out his career & yet has always overachieved...all due to a hard work ethic & a love of the game. I honestly don't know of any Red Wing who gives a better effort game in & game out. I only think he will only get better & that is a good thing for the Wings as some of the older stars start to slow down...something that unfortunately seems to be happening.

He's only 24, it would be the greatest thing ever to have Helm as a 2nd line center at PPG pace. He defiantly has the potential but my expectations: He might be a 3rd line center at some point but I don't think he will ever be better then that. 20-25 goals, 40-50pts MAX.

The thing I'm noticing about Helm is that his hands are constantly improving, as in almost a nightly basis. And as his confidence is rising all the time, he's showing off his moves and he's scoring more often. He's strong in the corners, and obviously has lightning speed, so when you factor in his improving hands, it's no wonder the points have been flowing. If he can keep improving, I see him possibly being a 20-25 type player.

He has shown tremendous development this season and I'm starting to think his ceiling is a lot higher than any of us ever thought it could be... he has been easily one of our top 5 (you could argue top 3) most important players this season... his hands have gotten SO much better it's almost scary and he's been making some plays lately that are almost Datsyuk-esque (not to overstate it - but you can tell that he's been learning from him)

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him get 50+ a season in his prime... keep in mind, he's still very young and hasn't even close to hit his prime yet

This should be interesting. 90% of this forum thought Helm would never be much more than a Draper 2.0 six months ago.

Six months ago we had seen one full season of his play at an NHL level.

Keep in mind he's ~2 years younger than Kesler; at that age, Kesler was already scoring 59 points and was a finalist for the Selke.

I think at the rate that Helm seems to be working, it's entirely possible that he may become a middle ground between Filppula and Kesler, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Great third line center, average second line center at his best, IMO.

Helm is an amazing depth player, but hes definitely not part of the untouchables. I would guess 40 points a season would be pretty much his peak.

Six months ago we had seen one full season of his play at an NHL level.

Keep in mind he's ~2 years younger than Kesler; at that age, Kesler was already scoring 59 points and was a finalist for the Selke.

I think at the rate that Helm seems to be working, it's entirely possible that he may become a middle ground between Filppula and Kesler, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Great third line center, average second line center at his best, IMO.

Honestly, I see a lot more upside in Helm. The only reason he hasn't matched Kesler is because of the development the Red Wings employ. If his hands continue to improve and his speed remains top notch, I see no ceiling to the goals that kid can score. He's already exceeded pretty much everyones expectations with no signs of slowing down.

Then again, I'm not one to put ceilings on potential. Success and trophys are a result of hard work first, then talent. Helm has the hard work down pat and with examples like Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Lidstrom, etc, etc... in the locker room everyday, he could be ridiculously good. With his speed, all he needs is a few killer dekes and he'll score a lot of breakaway goals imo. You can practice dekes.

Edited by Broken 16

Helm is an amazing depth player, but hes definitely not part of the untouchables. I would guess 40 points a season would be pretty much his peak.

in a realistic sense he is though

I can't see the Wings trading him for anything short of a significant overpayment with his usefulness,age,and price