• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GrindupaLine

What is Helm's offensive potential?

Rate this topic

Helm's upside?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For everyone saying he has bad hands, his shooting percentage this year was only one percent lower than Zetterberg's. If he took as many shots as Zetts, he would've scored 20 goals.

I agree with whoever pointed out that he got all of his points playing with 4th liners, and 0 power play time.

I think some team in the league would give him 2nd line centre money and 2nd line pp time. I wouldn't be supprised if we lose him because we can only pay him and play him as a 4th liner

This should be interesting. 90% of this forum thought Helm would never be much more than a Draper 2.0 six months ago.

Not me. I've always thought this kid could put up points. I'm waiting for him to lead the league shorthanded goals and points. Imagine if Franzen or Datsyuk was on his line versus Miller or Eaves. If Kopecky can put up 50 points, Helm should be able to easily. Whether he does or not though, his speed and work ethic are a treat to watch. How many 4th liners, that aren't fighters, bring you out of your seat consistently?

For everyone saying he has bad hands, his shooting percentage this year was only one percent lower than Zetterberg's. If he took as many shots as Zetts, he would've scored 20 goals.

I agree with whoever pointed out that he got all of his points playing with 4th liners, and 0 power play time.

I think some team in the league would give him 2nd line centre money and 2nd line pp time. I wouldn't be supprised if we lose him because we can only pay him and play him as a 4th liner

I don't think we'll let him go. If for no other reason than him being Draper's long-term replacement, the Wings know the value of a guy like that. Also, Draper was not as good or as fast as Helm at Helm's age, there's more upside I believe. Lastly, when Draper was at his best, we had no salary cap and like 53 HOF'ers on the team. Helm should have more opportunity because we can't ice a team like that again.

Honestly, I see a lot more upside in Helm. The only reason he hasn't matched Kesler is because of the development the Red Wings employ. If his hands continue to improve and his speed remains top notch, I see no ceiling to the goals that kid can score. He's already exceeded pretty much everyones expectations with no signs of slowing down.

Then again, I'm not one to put ceilings on potential. Success and trophys are a result of hard work first, then talent. Helm has the hard work down pat and with examples like Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Lidstrom, etc, etc... in the locker room everyday, he could be ridiculously good. With his speed, all he needs is a few killer dekes and he'll score a lot of breakaway goals imo. You can practice dekes.

Kesler at Helm's age was a 5 year NHL veteran (4 year if you don't count 2003-04, when Kesler was 19 and played 28 games in Vancouver and 33 in Vancouver) and scored 59 points and challenged for the Selke. Kesler is only 29 months older than Helm; one is in that vague area between second liners and third liners in ability, and plays on the fourth line. The other is a genuine first liner playing on the second line.

Helm's offensive capability will more closely mirror Filppula; I wouldn't be surprised to see Helm actually outperform Filppula in terms of career as well as in the next few years. If Flip has really peaked at 40-50 points per season, and if his 35 points in 55 games in 09-10 is his best effort, then if he's given any real time Helm will definitely outdo him. The same can be said of Hudler if the 08-09 season was his best. Hmm...gives me an idea for a new line; Helm/Filppula/Hudler.

And finally...dekes look great, and can get you goals, but ultimately being the best deker ever or not deking at all doesn't make much of a difference in total goals scored. A goalie is just as prepared for a deke as he is for a shot or a pass. Timing is the important part, not having a handful of fancy dekes.

Kesler at Helm's age was a 5 year NHL veteran (4 year if you don't count 2003-04, when Kesler was 19 and played 28 games in Vancouver and 33 in Vancouver) and scored 59 points and challenged for the Selke. Kesler is only 29 months older than Helm; one is in that vague area between second liners and third liners in ability, and plays on the fourth line. The other is a genuine first liner playing on the second line.

Helm's offensive capability will more closely mirror Filppula; I wouldn't be surprised to see Helm actually outperform Filppula in terms of career as well as in the next few years. If Flip has really peaked at 40-50 points per season, and if his 35 points in 55 games in 09-10 is his best effort, then if he's given any real time Helm will definitely outdo him. The same can be said of Hudler if the 08-09 season was his best. Hmm...gives me an idea for a new line; Helm/Filppula/Hudler.

And finally...dekes look great, and can get you goals, but ultimately being the best deker ever or not deking at all doesn't make much of a difference in total goals scored. A goalie is just as prepared for a deke as he is for a shot or a pass. Timing is the important part, not having a handful of fancy dekes.

No offense, eva, but spare me your stats. I hate the way you manipulate them and I don't have the time or the inclination to pick em apart.

I never understood how someone can sit in front of a computer screen and assess the entire future of an NHL player.

No offense, eva, but spare me your stats. I hate the way you manipulate them and I don't have the time or the inclination to pick em apart.

I never understood how someone can sit in front of a computer screen and assess the entire future of an NHL player.

What exactly did I manipulate in my post? I posted what Kesler had done by the time he was Helm's age. It's like the growth of a child. "12 year-old Bobby was two inches taller at age 10 than his brother Joey is." It's a statement of fact, and suggests a likely result. Certainly not a guarantee, but given the closeness of age between Kesler and Helm it's hard to see Helm go from where he is now to where Kesler is in two years. Especially without playing in a situation where he can take advantage of linemates as skilled as or more skilled than he is.

Lol @ Zata's shooting percentage being compared with Helms. That's like comparing Howie and his career win percentage to Mikka Kiprusoff and his win percentage. Sample size folks.

Isn't that the mere point of this thread?

Something tells me you don't understand how percentages work.

Isn't that the mere point of this thread?

Hmmmmmm... yes. :)

I guess I just hate when eva does it.

What exactly did I manipulate in my post? I posted what Kesler had done by the time he was Helm's age. It's like the growth of a child. "12 year-old Bobby was two inches taller at age 10 than his brother Joey is." It's a statement of fact, and suggests a likely result. Certainly not a guarantee, but given the closeness of age between Kesler and Helm it's hard to see Helm go from where he is now to where Kesler is in two years. Especially without playing in a situation where he can take advantage of linemates as skilled as or more skilled than he is.

I didn't mean to sound so harsh. Sorry. But you do have a tendency to extrapolate small stat samples into huge proclamations. :)

Edited by Broken 16

It was brought up on 97.1 by some fans today about Helm possibly reaching the 30 goal plateau and then the guys on the show went on to shoot that down right away. They also stated that he is more so looking like another Draper. I made that same mistake myself earlier this year of calling him that. But can anyone just go back and look at the tape of Helmer just blasting Jovanovski in the corner, spin, and setup Rusty on a great one-time goal. These are the things that I am seeing from him more and more. The sheer strength this guy has on his skates and now even with the puck is mind boggling. The PK shift he had in the WCF in '09 against Chicago is still one of my favorite moments live at a game and I think this kid's ceiling is getting higher and higher. Not sure about 30 goals but it sure seems as though we can be looking at 40+ points a year and just invaluable PK time out there. Great stuff.

It was brought up on 97.1 by some fans today about Helm possibly reaching the 30 goal plateau and then the guys on the show went on to shoot that down right away. They also stated that he is more so looking like another Draper. I made that same mistake myself earlier this year of calling him that. But can anyone just go back and look at the tape of Helmer just blasting Jovanovski in the corner, spin, and setup Rusty on a great one-time goal. These are the things that I am seeing from him more and more. The sheer strength this guy has on his skates and now even with the puck is mind boggling. The PK shift he had in the WCF in '09 against Chicago is still one of my favorite moments live at a game and I think this kid's ceiling is getting higher and higher. Not sure about 30 goals but it sure seems as though we can be looking at 40+ points a year and just invaluable PK time out there. Great stuff.

Ya. I agree. I don't see 30 goals, but I can see him piling up a ton of assists just from hard work and digging.