• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaliWingsNut

Gustav Nyquist

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

With Maine being knocked out of their season, Holland has apparently offered an entry level contract to our prospect. He is currently deciding if he will skip senior year.

Freep

Nyquist, the Wings’ fourth-round pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, scored 18 goals, 33 assists and 51 points in 36 games this season. He ranks sixth nationally in scoring, 1.42 points per game, according to collegehockeystats.net.

Thoughts?

I would like to see him turn pro now as well and i think he is ready for the next step. I like what Nill said as well in another article about him.

"If you're four years away from having a chance to making the NHL, stay in college," Nill said. "If you're close, it's time to move on."

Sign the deal Gustav, get to that next level.

An education is important but making the jump to pro now is in his best interests. He has already proven he can tear up against NCAA players, now he needs to get used to the long schedule etc of pro hockey.

Hopefully his offense translates

I really, really hope he's playing with Grand Rapids next season. One of our most exciting prospects, and would be one of the biggest arrivals in GR for some time.

I agree with an above posted, a future line of Nyquist-Jarnkrok-Pulkkinen is scary, make it happen Kenny. :hehe:

An education is important but making the jump to pro now is in his best interests. He has already proven he can tear up against NCAA players, now he needs to get used to the long schedule etc of pro hockey.

Hopefully his offense translates

He definitely shouldn't give his education up. Abdelkader left before his senior year and ended up finishing his courses over the summer. I hope Nyquist does the same so he can eventually graduate.

What's the difference in competition between the CCHA and GR?

:lol: Good point. Then again-- the Wings would've taken him last year if he wanted to go.

Guest CaliWingsNut

(responding to my own post. heh)

I think him skipping senior year is likely the best choice. He's 6th in college scoring, and I doubt staying with the team another year will improve his play more than the Griffins. He can continue his education separately as many pro players have done.

As much as it pains me to say this, UMaine is not going to be a contender any time soon, therefore I do not see Gustav winning a Hobey Baker. He would put up good numbers again and be in the conversation, but not a winner.

He can always finish his education in the offseason if he chooses.

Some guys just like the college scene though (NCAA Football Leinhart and others stayed for 4 years), although SoCal is much nicer than Orono Maine, trust me!

I see him signing with GR and playing there for 2-3 seasons, then getting the call up.

I am very interested in seeing him play with the likes of Tatar, Pulkkinen, and Iron Hook!

The future of this team APPEARS bright and talented. Hope it all transfers to the NHL level.

To me it's a pretty clear cut decision. Finishing one year of college can easily be accomplished outside of the classroom. But the experience he'd gain by signing that contract and coming to GR now, finishing this season and then playing all of next year would be massive in his development. If he truly wants a shot at playing in the NHL he should jump all over this opportunity because he can finish school in the summer(s).