• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#441 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Remember the LGW goalie report card that most members follow here.

Howard played a good game if all of the above criteria are met.
1. .925 Save percentage or better
2. 1.50 GAA or lower
3. 2 rebounds or less in the course of the game
4. No weak goals

---

I thought Howard played a great game today. 1st shot was screened. 2nd shot was just a heck of a shot and was probably screened by his own defenseman. Aside from that, he stopped all shots he needed to stop.

The Wings themselves are playing well. They outshot Washington and really had more scoring chances. Lets see what they bring against Columbus tonight.

Unless its Osgood. Then were ok with near double the GAA and a career reputation for letting in weak goals...

#442 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

There were about eight players between he and Howard. Howard couldn't see a thing. What do you expect?

There were three.

Though I can't really fault Howard for that as I haven't seen a replay that shows well enough what the hell happened.

I thought he had a good game overall. My only criticism would be on the first goal he should've swallowed the weak wrister from outside the faceoff circle. He juggled it and gave up a rebound and it led to a goal.

But the Wings played a great game top to bottom, including Jimmy.

Unless its Osgood. Then were ok with near double the GAA and a career reputation for letting in weak goals...

Yes, because Ozzy gets nothing but love here. :blink:

Wings had a great win. As someone already said, there wasn't really anyone who had a bad game. Yet we're still gonna turn the GDT into a goaltender war?

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 17 March 2011 - 09:20 AM.

#443 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

stop riding his jock.. thats all your posts have been this entire thread. Why not post something insightful yourself ? your as bad as Eva with Hudler.

Hey, I take offense to that! He's much worse!
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#444 Johnny Law

Johnny Law

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

guys, give kindl some love. he was great tonight.

Overall this season he's been pretty impressive, he's had a few games were things were bad but you can tell he's got alot of talent. At the very least he is as good as ericsson if not better.

#445 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

Really good win. A lot of positives to take from this one.

Rafalski is back and that seems to have rejuvenated an awful lot on the back end. His puck movement is second to none. Like a QB out there.

Kindl had a game where I feel like he can take his game to the next level. If he is nothing but a 3rd pairing guy his whole career, I will be ok with that. He looked very solid.

Howard wasn't stellar but he got the job done. Nothing too glaring and that shot at the end hitting the crossbar saved it from being a potential disaster.

And last but not least, it is great to see Hank on the scoresheet again and especially in the gino department. The backhand was a lot better than was given credit for. He knew what he was doing and a lot of the players could take some pointers from Hank, just shoot! We looked darn good and I hope we can really close these last games out as strong as this one. Good effort Posted Image

Kindl played very, very well last night. Watch Filppula's goal, and look at how good a skater Kindl is and without him that goal wouldn't have happened. He's an effortless skater, he is really starting to play physical, and offensively he's looking more and more dangerous each night. He's got all the tools to be at least a 2nd pairing defenceman. It's been so nice to see his confidence grow with each game, and I'd rather have last night's 6 defenceman than have Salei come in for Jakub.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#446 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

Remember the LGW goalie report card that most members follow here.

Howard played a good game if all of the above criteria are met.
1. .925 Save percentage or better
2. 1.50 GAA or lower
3. 2 rebounds or less in the course of the game
4. No weak goals

---

I thought Howard played a great game today. 1st shot was screened. 2nd shot was just a heck of a shot and was probably screened by his own defenseman. Aside from that, he stopped all shots he needed to stop.

The Wings themselves are playing well. They outshot Washington and really had more scoring chances. Lets see what they bring against Columbus tonight.

He did play a good game, but there were times where I was a little worried how he'd play. I was at the game, and I don't know if they showed it on TV but there was once where Howard fell over when nobody was around him, he was just going behind the net to play the puck, and then there was two other times where the Wings were in the offensive zone and he fell over twice. He just seemed drunk or something, it was weird.

#447 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

He did play a good game, but there were times where I was a little worried how he'd play. I was at the game, and I don't know if they showed it on TV but there was once where Howard fell over when nobody was around him, he was just going behind the net to play the puck, and then there was two other times where the Wings were in the offensive zone and he fell over twice. He just seemed drunk or something, it was weird.

So, a failing grade then?

Don't worry, just about everyone else on LGW gave him the same grade.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#448 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Tough to tell how he performed when they are too busy waiting on @BizNasty2point0's next tweet or typing in the GDT and just hear Ken Daniels say the other team has scored. Posted Image

Is what it is.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#449 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

I love how every game turns into a Howard debate. I would hate to be a goaltendeer in Detroit.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#450 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

I love how every game turns into a Howard debate. I would hate to be a goaltendeer in Detroit.

Not as much as you'd hate to be the quarterback for the Lions.
Or the... Pitcher???, I think, for the Tigers. (I don't watch baseball.)
Or the point guard for the Pistons.

And in that order.

#451 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

Not as much as you'd hate to be the quarterback for the Lions.
Or the... Pitcher???, I think, for the Tigers. (I don't watch baseball.)
Or the point guard for the Pistons.

And in that order.

A goaltender in Detroit is probably the toughest. Look at Osgood for instance. 3 cups in Detroit and he is still on the verge of getting run out of town. Even when he resigned with Detroit with Dom, he got zero respect. Even when he went in for Dom back in 2008, people thought we were sunk. The smart hockey fans know that the playoffs are not going to be won or lost alone with Howard. It will be won or lost as a team.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#452 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

A goaltender in Detroit is probably the toughest. Look at Osgood for instance. 3 cups in Detroit and he is still on the verge of getting run out of town. Even when he resigned with Detroit with Dom, he got zero respect. Even when he went in for Dom back in 2008, people thought we were sunk. The smart hockey fans know that the playoffs are not going to be won or lost alone with Howard. It will be won or lost as a team.

I'm actually not sure where you get that impression of Ozzie unless you only read opinions on internet forums. I mean, sure, on LGW, HF and whatever popular Red Wings message boards are out there, you would find a lot of internet tough guys bash Ozzie to no end. But Wings fans really aren't limited to internet savvy people. There are A LOT of Ozzie fans out there who genuinely love the guy and believe in him. A LOT. They just think defending the guy on an internet message board against a bunch of people whose opinions aren't going to change anyways is a complete waste of time. And it is. In my experience, these fans are much older and very established in their lives/careers and don't really have as much youthful impatience as a lot of people who tend to frequent these kinds of boards do.

#453 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

Really?

#454 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

Really?

I did say "Just about everyone else". Not "everyone else". :)
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#455 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

I did say "Just about everyone else". Not "everyone else". :)

I don't think that's accurate either. He let in two goals. One was difficult but stoppable; the other was unstoppable.

#456 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

pretty complete game by the wings played the most complete game in a while imo. but still could do better imho.

#457 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

:confused1: How did you get a failing grade, or any grade at all from what I said? I wasn't grading or bashing Howie in any way. I'm a big fan of his. He played a good game in my opinion like I said. I was just saying how it was weird that he was falling over for no apparent reason. The group I was with, and many people around us were joking around on how he must have got drunk between the first and second period because he was falling over when the play was in the opposite end of the ice. So no, this wasn't me grading Howie on his play, as none of this had anything to do with him stopping pucks.

It really sucks that a person has to watch what he says around here now a days without someone taking what's being said a whole different way.

#458 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

Win or lose, some people are never happy :P
IPB Image

#459 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

Win or lose, some people are never happy :P

And they come onto LGW to spread their spirit in many different and abundant ways.

#460 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

If you feel this way about Modano, I'm curious about what you think of Franzen's play.

Franzen is not 40 years old. We can't just get rid of him because he's been useless lately.

He has been horribly streaky this season, but I think his laziness comes from not ever playing a full season at a high level as a star. He's always been hurt and hasn't had a whole year of wear and tear, plus travel, plus having to bring it every game. He needs to get used to it.

That's Franzen's problem. It's not an excuse, but I think it's a good explanation.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 17 March 2011 - 06:23 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.