• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
luvpucks

Is anyone else expecting the Wings to hit 100?

Rate this topic

13 games left and sitting at 90. While it might not be a stretch to think they're a lock for it they've just been playing too inconsistent lately to have me a just a little concerned.

Tomorrow will be interesting...think I'd give them more of an edge if they were on the road though. Columbus is very winnable. Nashville has been trouble all season. After that the home game stretch looks like Detroit can really win the majority (or I'd settle for a Pitt thrashing).

What ya'll think?

I'd have to think we'll win at least five games. Otherwise, I'd have bigger concerns than 100 points.

If we win 9 of the last 13, we'll have a 50-win season.

Hell, what if they go 0-3-10? We'd still make it to 100. ;)

Edited by Nevermind

I'd have to think we'll win at least five games. Otherwise, I'd have bigger concerns than 100 points.

I've been watching for the 50-win season. I believe it would be the 5th season in a row. IIRC, Babcock is one of a few coaches who have had four 50-win seasons (in a row?), but no one has had five. They can do it if they really buckle down on the consistency.

100 points? Definitely.

50 wins? Possible, only 5 of our last 13 games are road games, no west coast travel or crazy back-to-back games.

We will probably still win the division and end up as the 2 seed unless Chicago manages to sweep our remaining games against. Once we are in the playoffs, we cannot play like we have been lately, or like we did in last year's playoffs, otherwise we go golfing in April.

Edit: one game in hand over Chicago, plus their remaining schedule is much tougher, mostly on the road, I think we have the division no matter what.

Edited by McAwesome

I've been watching for the 50-win season. I believe it would be the 5th season in a row. IIRC, Babcock is one of a few coaches who have had four 50-win seasons (in a row?), but no one has had five. They can do it if they really buckle down on the consistency.

i know last season was tough to watch but it did actually happen :P

I think we'll pass 100 pts. easily. Would love to see them pushing for 110 pts. I also think 50 wins is possible, but i see us falling just short of that, the way they've been playing. It would be interesting to see what Babcock would do if the last game came down to being the 50th win. Does he put the whole team on the ice and go for it, or does he give a few guys a game off to rest going into the playoffs? I guess that depends most on where in the standings we are. Or if we're even in the playoffs at all.

Pretty sure they only won 44 games last year.

I feel like 11 years in a row is an amazing achievement!

One of the greatest dynasties professional sports has ever seen.

Amazing achievement, yes, but I won't go as far as to say one of the greatest dynasties in professional sports. There are certainly greater dynasties in hockey without even looking at different sports.

I guess is depends on how you define a dynasty. They have certainly been one of the most consistent teams over the past 20 years, consistent contenders, but they never dominating to the point where they won 4 cups in a row, or 4 in 5 years, so something like that.

Anyway, I don't think anything compares to the Montreal Canadiens from the 70s (maybe the Canadiens of the 50s?). Between 1971 and 1983, they achieve 100pts or more 8 times in a row, but if you prorate to 82 games (they didn't play that many then), you'll get 13 years in a row. They also won the cup 6 times (including 4 in a row). If they had of earned 1 more point in 1970, they would have put together a string of 16 years in a row with 100pts (pro rated to 82 games) and 8 cups.

Pretty sure they only won 44 games last year.

Perhaps I was remembering this record from the year before. Yeah, last year wasn't the year to rack up 50! Thanks for the correction.

I do feel they will get over 100 points this year. Go Wings!