Suspendable?

#2 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

A thread a day keeps the suspensions away..... Posted Image

I truly hope this gets a suspension, though. Heatley is one of my least favorite players by far so I am quite subjective on this one. But he clearly gets the elbow up to harm. The INTENT!(BUZZ WORD) is there so I feel a game or 2 most likely. Spin the NHL wheel of justice.

Edited by HankthaTank, 16 March 2011 - 09:30 AM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#3 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

Definitely. I don't see Heatley getting any "star player" discount, because he doesn't have that good of a reputation himself.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#4 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

Also for what it's worth, Bob McKenzie and LeBrun feel both Marchand and Heatley's hits are suspendable and most likely will be. Murray's is not.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#5 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:05 AM

Definite suspension worthy. There was absolutely no need for it and Heatley clearly went out of his way to deliver it. Not sure what he was thinking.

Looks like Ott sold it really well, I doubt he was hurt at all because it looked like a very soft hit, but that's not the point, still should be suspended.

I saw a terrible video of the Marchand hit and it's really hard to tell what actually happened. From what I saw, I can see where a suspension would be worthy, but if I saw a better and more full video, it may show that it was incidental contact...not sure.

#6 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

That's just Ott doing his job, getting opposing team's star players to get penalties.

"You're dumb and your mother's ugly. Now elbow me in the head when the ref is looking."

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#7 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

Definite suspension worthy. There was absolutely no need for it and Heatley clearly went out of his way to deliver it. Not sure what he was thinking.

"It's Steve Ott, might get a freebie here."

Heatley made sure everybody saw the elbow, too. The more skilled practitioners of the art are more subtle about it.

#8 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:26 AM

Yeah. Well after the puck was gone, Ott was looking the other way. Absolutely no reason for it, he went well out of his way to do it, and it is clearly an elbow to the head.

League better suspend.
Posted Image

#9 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

Obviously that's not legal, as much as I can't fault Heatley for wanting to give it to Ott -- just did more harm than good.

#10 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

Don't much care for Ott at all, but that was dirrrrrrtyy Killer, real dirty

Edited by Wings3:16, 16 March 2011 - 11:31 AM.

Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#11 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:34 AM

Definitely suspension-worthy. Ott deserves a few more of those to the head, though.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#12 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

Normal circumstances - yes. But its Ott, so if Colies Wheel of Judicial Integrity lands on "Star player, no suspension", for once I won't mind.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#13 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

Everyone here seems to be in agreement here for once. That was definitely suspension worthy right there. Those are the ones that you have to suspend for, they're so blatant.

#14 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

Definitely. I don't see Heatley getting any "star player" discount, because he doesn't have that good of a reputation himself.

It kept him out of prison.

#15 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:21 PM

Throw the book at him.

Then suspend him for 3 games.

Posted Image

#16 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

Darren Dreger twitter post

Camera angles on Heatley hit aren't great, but in slo-mo, it appears Heatley's forearm glances off Ott's high chest...shoulder area first.

I guess this means it's clean.....
His Twitter

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan, 16 March 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#17 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

If there is no suspension, you will see an elbow of epic proportions from Ott to Heatley/Dog Murray/whomever when the teams next play (March 31). Ultimately, that can't be a bad thing for the Wings if two of the top eight teams take each other's players out with cheapshots.

Seriously, though, Heatley couldn't have picked a worse time to pull this little stunt. The GMs are at meetings right now with the primary discussion being about headshots. Did he really think that going well out of his way to elbow Ott was going to be the kind of thing that would fly under the radar?

#18 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

This is one of the few hits i think should result in a suspension, you can clearly tell he was trying to elbow him in the face.

#19 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

Both of them should be suspended. If the league has any integrity they will give them both 2 games each
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

I have to admit though, Otts statement about the hit is both funny and ironic.

It's like if someone threw a leg out on Matt Cooke and broke his knee, and Cooke complained to the media that a play like that is beyond dirty and anyone making that play should be facing serious suspension...

While true, still funny in its hypocritical irony.