• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evanbartlett

Heatley elbows Ott

Rate this topic

A thread a day keeps the suspensions away..... laugh.gif

I truly hope this gets a suspension, though. Heatley is one of my least favorite players by far so I am quite subjective on this one. But he clearly gets the elbow up to harm. The INTENT!(BUZZ WORD) is there so I feel a game or 2 most likely. Spin the NHL wheel of justice.

Edited by HankthaTank

Definite suspension worthy. There was absolutely no need for it and Heatley clearly went out of his way to deliver it. Not sure what he was thinking.

Looks like Ott sold it really well, I doubt he was hurt at all because it looked like a very soft hit, but that's not the point, still should be suspended.

I saw a terrible video of the Marchand hit and it's really hard to tell what actually happened. From what I saw, I can see where a suspension would be worthy, but if I saw a better and more full video, it may show that it was incidental contact...not sure.

Definite suspension worthy. There was absolutely no need for it and Heatley clearly went out of his way to deliver it. Not sure what he was thinking.

"It's Steve Ott, might get a freebie here."

Heatley made sure everybody saw the elbow, too. The more skilled practitioners of the art are more subtle about it.

Yeah. Well after the puck was gone, Ott was looking the other way. Absolutely no reason for it, he went well out of his way to do it, and it is clearly an elbow to the head.

League better suspend.

Guest Shoreline

Obviously that's not legal, as much as I can't fault Heatley for wanting to give it to Ott -- just did more harm than good.

Guest Crymson

Definitely. I don't see Heatley getting any "star player" discount, because he doesn't have that good of a reputation himself.

It kept him out of prison.

If there is no suspension, you will see an elbow of epic proportions from Ott to Heatley/Dog Murray/whomever when the teams next play (March 31). Ultimately, that can't be a bad thing for the Wings if two of the top eight teams take each other's players out with cheapshots.

Seriously, though, Heatley couldn't have picked a worse time to pull this little stunt. The GMs are at meetings right now with the primary discussion being about headshots. Did he really think that going well out of his way to elbow Ott was going to be the kind of thing that would fly under the radar?

I have to admit though, Otts statement about the hit is both funny and ironic.

It's like if someone threw a leg out on Matt Cooke and broke his knee, and Cooke complained to the media that a play like that is beyond dirty and anyone making that play should be facing serious suspension...

While true, still funny in its hypocritical irony.

Why is this even a debate by the media and NHL? Heatley knowingly elbowed a guy in the head (and I don't care if it's Ott), yes he should get a suspension! Start with 10 or more games for this stuff, and set up a "3 strikes you're out" plan. But typical NHL will just give him a game or two and it'll happen again, in a different city by a different player, in the next couple of days.

Call me crazy, but this stuff HAS to stop! I don't want to see anyone get a concussion, and I especially don't want to see our Red Wings players get concussion. We're lucky Stuart ONLY got a broken jaw. Also imagine if Crosby or Hall was Datsyuk or Zetterberg instead?

Bettman has zero chance at a TV deal if he allows head hunting to continue, and his 5 point plan is a complete joke! All he needs is one point, "Don't hit people in the head!!".

Think about it. Say you tell someone, "Hey did you see that play the other night where someone elbowed the other guy?"

Now without telling your buddy who it is and explain the hit in complete detail, will a suspension still be determined from it?

Nope. And that is the biggest problem with the NHL. It's all about who it did it. It's a joke.

Guest Shoreline

I have to admit though, Otts statement about the hit is both funny and ironic.

It's like if someone threw a leg out on Matt Cooke and broke his knee, and Cooke complained to the media that a play like that is beyond dirty and anyone making that play should be facing serious suspension...

While true, still funny in its hypocritical irony.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Brutal-hits-in-Sharks-Stars-game-and-Steve-Ott

Ott says:

"If this doesn't get looked at, I don't know. I guess when you're used to being on the other end and being suspended in the past, I think it's pretty evident where this stuff should go in a hurry. I don't care if Heatley makes $10 million or Murray makes less, it's time to get this out of the game as fast as we can. Protect the guys. We're going to have guys that are going to be icing heads now. You only have one brain, so let's honestly start figuring something out."

Ott be trollin'.