• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:03 AM

San Jose wouldn't be fun. They're a pretty gritty team and the travel wouldn't be benficiary to us.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#42 GoOzzieGo

GoOzzieGo

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

I'm liking how things are shaping up right now with us in the #2 slot going up against Chicago in the #7. Nashville is only a point or so out of the #8 slot behind Calgary and have a couple of games in hand. I think they could give Vancouver a nice drawn out series which could help us out in the long run due to the travel schedule Vancouver would be facing early.

For Chicago, Crawford is an unknown playoff performer....maybe he seizes the moment, maybe he falters. I like our chances.

#43 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

I'd hate to play San Jose and Dallas in the first round

I would love to play Dallas in the first round. The two teams i don't want to play is the Flames & Ducks not that we wouldn't beat them but they love to beat up on players :!:
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#44 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

I don't want to see alot of travel or a hot goaltender so here are the possibilities

Nashville
Chicago
Minnesota
Calgary
Dallas
Phoenix
LA
Anaheim

I don't think that Minny will make it. Nashville has a very good goalie and Phoenix, LA and Anaheim are too much travel so I'll take Chicago, Calgary or Dallas. Chicago doesn't scare me since they have about the same team that they had in '08 when we crushed them plus the guy that doesn't show up in the playoffs.

San Jose wouldn't be fun. They're a pretty gritty team and the travel wouldn't be benficiary to us.

Unless San Jose collapses in the last 11 games, we can't play them in the first round because they will most likely be ranked #3.
Do or do not. There is no try

#45 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Not sure if they've ever been a legitimate favourite until this year. And while they were an improved team the previous two seasons, they still took a back seat to Detroit, San Jose and Pittsburgh -- and to Chicago in the opinion of a lot of people.

Luongo's struggled against Chicago for sure, particularly in game 6 against the Hawks 2 years ago. Last year was more a game 6 team collapse with our D dropping like flies. People forget how banged up our D was last year. Personally, even before that game started I thought we didn't have much of a chance. But that's exactly why Gillis went out and got Ballard and Hamhuis in the off-season.

Been wondering a lot lately what the chances are that the Wings and Canucks meet in the conference finals. That would be a tough match-up for either team.

But isn't your D banged up this year? And isn't Mahoultra gone?
Do or do not. There is no try

#46 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

out of the choices as of today, our opponents could be

Calgary
Chicago
Dallas
LA
Phoenix
San Jose
Nashville
Anaheim
Minnesota

Who i would want to play:

Calgary
Chicago
LA
Phoenix
Minnesota
Anaheim

Putting travel into the equation, I would want to play

Chicago
Minnesota

I would NOT want to play:

Dallas
Nashville
San Jose

Either way, just make the playoffs and win win win!!!!!!!!
Those teams havent been kind to us this year.

#47 JasonNewEra

JasonNewEra

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

After watching the past game, I DEFINITELY don't want to play Nashville. They got our number this year.

12412215175_9591987538_o.jpg

#48 ricky0034

ricky0034

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:23 AM

more than any other team I want the Wings to play Chicago

more than any other team I want the Wings to avoid Nashville

Unless San Jose collapses in the last 11 games, we can't play them in the first round because they will most likely be ranked #3.

Phoenix is only 3 points behind them with 9 games left in the season,3 of which are against the Sharks

but yeah even though they could maybe lose their division they would definitely have to collapse quite a bit for them to fall to 6th or 7th for the Wings to face in the first round

Edited by ricky0034, 20 March 2011 - 02:36 AM.

#49 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:29 AM

Not sure if they've ever been a legitimate favourite until this year. And while they were an improved team the previous two seasons, they still took a back seat to Detroit, San Jose and Pittsburgh -- and to Chicago in the opinion of a lot of people.

Luongo's struggled against Chicago for sure, particularly in game 6 against the Hawks 2 years ago. Last year was more a game 6 team collapse with our D dropping like flies. People forget how banged up our D was last year. Personally, even before that game started I thought we didn't have much of a chance. But that's exactly why Gillis went out and got Ballard and Hamhuis in the off-season.

Been wondering a lot lately what the chances are that the Wings and Canucks meet in the conference finals. That would be a tough match-up for either team.

Strangely it feels like yesterday since 2002.. which reminds me -- who would you prefer? Luongo... or Cloutier? :D

I was actually hoping for San Jose, but wouldn't mind Vancouver. Too bad one's impossible in the first round and other seems like too long of a shot.

Edited by Shoreline, 20 March 2011 - 03:48 AM.

#50 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

Nashville without a question. I hope the Canucks get the Preds in the 1st round and get upset.
Anyone else doesn't really put the scare in me at all.

#51 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

I've been saying since this thread was created, the last team we are going to want to face in the playoffs is Nashville.

Right now we have Chicago and I know we can take chicago in 5 or 6. Nashville on the other hand, whoever draws them is going to be in for a long long series where they might lose a few players. Nashville hits hard and plays physical and we haven't been able to hold up against that this year at all.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#52 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

Pretty much a copy/paste job from the Detroit vs. Chicago thread up here...

If the Wings show the effort like they did in recent games like Washington and even last night in the loss against Nashville, their odds of making a deep run are very good. If they don't like in games before the above or get bad injury luck, they could exit the playoffs fairly quick.

In these days of the NHL with parity, I don't get too hung up on who the Wings play or seeding just because we see so many instances of lower seeds winning now. Don't get me wrong, I want to see the Wings win their division and get as high a seed as possible for home ice advantages, but it's not something that I overly fret about given the parity/competitiveness of today. Just about no matchup regardless of if you are in the first round or the SCF is a slam dunk. Only thing I really prefer in guessing these matchups is minimal travel, so by that end I wouldn't mind facing Chicago or Dallas, etc.

#53 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Travel wise I'd say Chicago. Also, it would be kinda neat to oust them in the opening round and bring down some egos a bit. God knows they deserve a ego deflation (their fans especially).

Record wise, I'd have to go with Calgary. We swept the season series, and I think we could make short order of them.

Who don't I want? Nashville, LA, Anaheim, Dallas...travel on three of the four, and I'm sick of Nashville.
Posted Image

#54 Tane

Tane

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

Teams I want

Anyone in our time zone.

Teams I don't

Anyone west of Dallas.

The way I see it, A Champion should be able to beat anyone put in front of them. If we cant' beat San Jose, then we're not 2011 Champs. I'm sure San Jose doesn't want to play us. If they can't beat us, they don't deserve to be champions.

A lighter than normal travel schedule would be ideal.

If we don't end up going to the east, I'd settle for at least going back to 4 divisions, and having the first 2 rounds the divisional playoffs. That would at least keep us palying teams like Chicago, Nashville, Columbus, Dallas, St.Louis, etc. for the first 2 rounds.

#55 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

Nashville without a question. I hope the Canucks get the Preds in the 1st round and get upset.
Anyone else doesn't really put the scare in me at all.

i hope the preds squeeze into 8th and beat the s*** out of vancouver and lose in 7 leaving the nucks with 1 or 2 days rest and a tough 2nd round opponent that is ready to dismantle what's left of them. i hope weber drills kesler repeatedly and tags luongo with a 110 mph clapper.

like i said, i'll take anyone but nashville. they'ref****** annoying with their trap s*** and i HATE their style of play.

Ducks, Stars or Flames please.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#56 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

i don't want the preds to ya'll guys in the playoffs,the team i really want the preds to play in the playoffs is the CANUCKS

i hate the canucks and their cocky fans,wanna see the their fans moan and groan on how the boring preds are.

canucks are not going to have a smooth ride the stanley cup

Edited by PredsFanTheBayouState, 21 March 2011 - 05:38 PM.