• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rick Zombos Ghost

Whats your favorite "BAD" contract right now?

Rate this topic

Originally I thought this question was about DRW. If we're concerned it is Rafalski. 6M is too much for one dimensional player. He is very good at offense and very bad sat defense. Better version of M.A. Bergeron.

Sigh. I guess I don't know what the hate for Rafalski is based upon. He is currently tied for #13 in +/- for D-men and he plays on a team that is #18 in the league in GAA.

People tend to fixate on turnovers and ignore the good plays.

Meh, no. Right now everyone seems to feel that way. I sort of did too AT THE TIME when we had Hoss. But not now. JoJo will figure it out sooner or later.

No frickin way. Mule is a beast in the playoff and Hossa disappears. EVERY YEAR.

I think you mean Franzen. As the years go by, that contract is going to look worse and worse

Well he is not good now and will be even worse two-five years from now. However, it is only 4M and he is quite capable 3rd line forward. Overpayment? Yes. By what? 1.5-2M? Yes. Just like Manny Malhotra in Vanvouver.

Guest Crymson

$228,571

Good god. That's more than people make for winning a big fight in UFC/MMA.

I think you mean Franzen. As the years go by, that contract is going to look worse and worse

Lol at the knee jerkers, you guys are ridiculous.

The guy has one slump and everyone questions his contract (which is pretty reasonable for what he gives). Guess you guys are forgetting how many goals he has this year (more than anyone else on the team, including guys who are paid far more), and his past 3 playoff performances.

Thank god our management isn't as blind as some of the posters here.

Edited by hooon

I'm OK with Franzen being average in regular season as long as he's ripping it off in playoffs.

mind you, Mule is a playoff asset, and so far he's only been stellar with this. and that he's not

putting that same effort in regular season... I'm fine. better this than pulling Thorton, isn't it? ;)

Guest Crymson

$4m for 30 goals is par for the course. Franzen could be doing better, but he's making his money.

Yashin: +7M and not playing in the NHL. Nuff said.

Actually there is a lot more to be said:

Yashin is only being paid $2,204,000 per year through the 2014-15 season. I think there is some difference

The big difference is that the Islanders bought out Yashin therefore they only have to pay 2/3 of his remaining salary (which equals $17,632,000) and it gets to be paid out over double the years remaining on the contract. There were 4 years left thus an 8 year payout. The downside (and the reason the Hawks couldn't do it with Huet) is that there is still a cap hit. The cap hit fluctuates as explained here.

Yashin%2BBuyout4.jpg

That doesn't however, really matter to the Islanders as even with Yashin taking up cap space they only have about $40M of the cap used (about $19M in cap space).

Yeah it is costing the Islanders although only $2.2M this year for Yashin as opposed to $5.6M this year for Huet and the Blackhawks could afford the cap hit of a buy out like the Islanders can so to me it is a much worse contract.

Yashin plus Dipietro equals Islanders suck. Wang is the worst owner arguabily in pro sports. Kovalchuk deal is right up there for me too, even though his second half is been much better, he's still way over paid. I thought Lemaire was a really shrewd GM until this move, now he just looks desperate to me.

Actually there is a lot more to be said:

Yashin is only being paid $2,204,000 per year through the 2014-15 season. I think there is some difference

The big difference is that the Islanders bought out Yashin therefore they only have to pay 2/3 of his remaining salary (which equals $17,632,000) and it gets to be paid out over double the years remaining on the contract. There were 4 years left thus an 8 year payout. The downside (and the reason the Hawks couldn't do it with Huet) is that there is still a cap hit. The cap hit fluctuates as explained here.

Yashin%2BBuyout4.jpg

That doesn't however, really matter to the Islanders as even with Yashin taking up cap space they only have about $40M of the cap used (about $19M in cap space).

Yeah it is costing the Islanders although only $2.2M this year for Yashin as opposed to $5.6M this year for Huet and the Blackhawks could afford the cap hit of a buy out like the Islanders can so to me it is a much worse contract.

Actually capgeek says Yashin's CAP HIT is 7+ mill. I think cap hit matters a lot more than the actual salary paid these days.

edit: OOPS! Just checked and you're right. I didn't know you could lower the cap hit by buying out a contract.

Edited by Finnish Wing