• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rick Zombos Ghost

Whats your favorite "BAD" contract right now?

Rate this topic

Actually capgeek says Yashin's CAP HIT is 7+ mill. I think cap hit matters a lot more than the actual salary paid these days.

edit: OOPS! Just checked and you're right. I didn't know you could lower the cap hit by buying out a contract.

Yeah I wasn't sure how the buyout affected the cap until I looked it up. However, the Islanders are so far from the cap (roughly $19M I think) that even if it were a $7M cap hit it wouldn't affect them at all presently. Still a horrible contact though. :lol:

I've been frustrated by Franzen's regular season efforts and floating around too...

But, the last 3 playoffs he's had 31 goals and 28 assists for 59 points in only 51 games. Those kind of numbers aren't a fluke.

If he doesn't dominate or bother to show up in the playoffs this year, then I'll start to get worried about how we're stuck with his contract for so long. Otherwise, a shade under $4M is an absolute steal for an over a point-per-game playoff player.

DiPietro has to have the worst contract in the NHL. Honorary mention: Wade Redden Vincent Lecavalier Johan Franzen Brian Campbell Sheldon Souray Scott Gomez
Wade redden makes 6.5 Million playing in the AHL.

Although he is currently in the minors, Redden's contract isn't even the worst contract for a Rangers defenseman. He's a better player than McCabe for not much more; a major reason the Rangers traded for McCabe was that they would have lost Redden on re-entry but been stuck with half of his cap hit.

Yashin plus Dipietro equals Islanders suck. Wang is the worst owner arguabily in pro sports. Kovalchuk deal is right up there for me too, even though his second half is been much better, he's still way over paid. I thought Lemaire was a really shrewd GM until this move, now he just looks desperate to me.
Yeah, I really can't believe Lemaire signed Kovalchuk to that contract. Probably because he isn't the GM, and wasn't even the coach when the signing was made. As for Kovalchuk's contract; he's generally considered one of the top forwards in the world. He had a huge slump to start the year and scored 4 goals, six assists, and ten points in his first 23 games. He has since (starting Nov. 3) scored 22 goals and 19 assists for 41 points in 47 games. He's also been much better defensively than he has been in prior seasons. When compared to Dats and Z, maybe it seems high. But I can remember in the past year, the topics that have been started asking who the top five forwards, or top ten players, top five players, most skilled players, whatever. Kovalchuk was always a regular until his slump early this season and New Jersey's struggles. If he's an elite player like everyone on here was saying, his contract is by no means a bad deal. And it's not; Kovalchuk's deal has come under fire because of New Jersey's cap issues and having to ice fewer than a full squad due to injury. But that is the result of contracts guys like Rolston, Zubrus, Salvador, and Arnott; guys who made their payday and are either on the end of their big deal or squeezed one last drop from the orange. Then you have the Devils buying a new defense in the offseason in Volchenkov and Tallinder, and it becomes clear that Kovalchuk's deal is the one that is reasonable of the group. Edited by eva unit zero

Lol at the knee jerkers, you guys are ridiculous.

The guy has one slump and everyone questions his contract (which is pretty reasonable for what he gives). Guess you guys are forgetting how many goals he has this year (more than anyone else on the team, including guys who are paid far more), and his past 3 playoff performances.

Thank god our management isn't as blind as some of the posters here.

Not a knee-jerk at all. I along with several others expressed disapointment with the length of the contract at the time, he basically got a Franchise Player contract as a reward for 27 and 34 goal seasons - at the age of 29. Especially for a player who is prone to floating for large periods of time, whatever happened to "The Mule?"

The money is a bit meh, $4m for a 30 goal scorer is OK I guess. The only good thing about the contract is its structure, so he can retire/be bought out without giving us a punishing cap hit.

As for Rafalski, I've never regarded his contract as the albatross some do. It seemed like a lot at the time, but he was a key, key component of our 2008 cup, part of the "Big 5" that Babcock would ice against the oppositions top line, and just for that I regard his contract as worth it. So by the same token if Franzen scores 12 goals in the playoffs and leads us to the Cup I guess I can forgive him :)

The money is a bit meh, $4m for a 30 goal scorer is OK I guess.

It's probably under what most UFA players would get for putting up Franzen's regular season numbers, nevermind his playoff scoring. Some of you guys are complaining about the length, which is certainly valid for its own reasons (lack of motivation primarily), but it's that length that keeps the cap hit down to begin with. It's not hard to "bite the bullet" on that $4M for a guy that has scored the second most playoff goals (behind Hank) since the lockout.