Photo
- - - - -

Whats your favorite "BAD" contract right now?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

mike komisarek has a cap hit of 4.5 mil and plays around 14 minutes a night, putting up 10 points. my buddy who is a leafs fan says to dump him and lebdas contracts.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#42 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

Yashin: +7M and not playing in the NHL. Nuff said.

Actually there is a lot more to be said:

Yashin is only being paid $2,204,000 per year through the 2014-15 season. I think there is some difference

The big difference is that the Islanders bought out Yashin therefore they only have to pay 2/3 of his remaining salary (which equals $17,632,000) and it gets to be paid out over double the years remaining on the contract. There were 4 years left thus an 8 year payout. The downside (and the reason the Hawks couldn't do it with Huet) is that there is still a cap hit. The cap hit fluctuates as explained here.

Posted Image

That doesn't however, really matter to the Islanders as even with Yashin taking up cap space they only have about $40M of the cap used (about $19M in cap space).

Yeah it is costing the Islanders although only $2.2M this year for Yashin as opposed to $5.6M this year for Huet and the Blackhawks could afford the cap hit of a buy out like the Islanders can so to me it is a much worse contract.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#43 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

I think you mean Franzen. As the years go by, that contract is going to look worse and worse

Really?

As the playoff rounds go on, that contract is going to look better and better.
Atlanta Thrashers: 1999-2011

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#44 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

Yashin plus Dipietro equals Islanders suck. Wang is the worst owner arguabily in pro sports. Kovalchuk deal is right up there for me too, even though his second half is been much better, he's still way over paid. I thought Lemaire was a really shrewd GM until this move, now he just looks desperate to me.
Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#45 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

Until the day it expires: By way of Long Island, NY... RICK DIPIETRO!!! I've laughed at this since day one, a complete joke.

#46 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Actually there is a lot more to be said:

Yashin is only being paid $2,204,000 per year through the 2014-15 season. I think there is some difference

The big difference is that the Islanders bought out Yashin therefore they only have to pay 2/3 of his remaining salary (which equals $17,632,000) and it gets to be paid out over double the years remaining on the contract. There were 4 years left thus an 8 year payout. The downside (and the reason the Hawks couldn't do it with Huet) is that there is still a cap hit. The cap hit fluctuates as explained here.

Posted Image

That doesn't however, really matter to the Islanders as even with Yashin taking up cap space they only have about $40M of the cap used (about $19M in cap space).

Yeah it is costing the Islanders although only $2.2M this year for Yashin as opposed to $5.6M this year for Huet and the Blackhawks could afford the cap hit of a buy out like the Islanders can so to me it is a much worse contract.

Actually capgeek says Yashin's CAP HIT is 7+ mill. I think cap hit matters a lot more than the actual salary paid these days.

edit: OOPS! Just checked and you're right. I didn't know you could lower the cap hit by buying out a contract.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 18 March 2011 - 08:01 PM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#47 butters92

butters92

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

Wade redden makes 6.5 Million playing in the AHL.

Edited by butters92, 18 March 2011 - 08:42 PM.

#48 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

Posted Image

#49 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

Really?

As the playoff rounds go on, that contract is going to look better and better.

bleh... but actually he is not the only one not playing up to his contract! There are more than a few to name...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#50 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

...ya Scott Gomez, $7.3M for 7 goals and 27 asst and a -15... Sheesh!

In comparison, Darren Helm $912,000 11 goals 20 asst and a +11...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#51 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:42 PM

The contract the Rangers shelled out for Derek Boogaard. He has 45 PIM in 22 games, and he's been out with concussion symptoms for a while now. I still laugh at the fact that Philadelphia gave Jody Shelley what they did.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#52 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

Actually capgeek says Yashin's CAP HIT is 7+ mill. I think cap hit matters a lot more than the actual salary paid these days.

edit: OOPS! Just checked and you're right. I didn't know you could lower the cap hit by buying out a contract.

Yeah I wasn't sure how the buyout affected the cap until I looked it up. However, the Islanders are so far from the cap (roughly $19M I think) that even if it were a $7M cap hit it wouldn't affect them at all presently. Still a horrible contact though. :lol:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#53 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:10 PM

I've been frustrated by Franzen's regular season efforts and floating around too...

But, the last 3 playoffs he's had 31 goals and 28 assists for 59 points in only 51 games. Those kind of numbers aren't a fluke.

If he doesn't dominate or bother to show up in the playoffs this year, then I'll start to get worried about how we're stuck with his contract for so long. Otherwise, a shade under $4M is an absolute steal for an over a point-per-game playoff player.

#54 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:27 PM

...ya Scott Gomez, $7.3M for 7 goals and 27 asst and a -15... Sheesh!

In comparison, Darren Helm $912,000 11 goals 20 asst and a +11...

LMAO. I knew Gomez was bad this year but I didn't know he was THAT bad.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#55 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:51 PM

DiPietro has to have the worst contract in the NHL. Honorary mention: Wade Redden Vincent Lecavalier Johan Franzen Brian Campbell Sheldon Souray Scott Gomez

Wade redden makes 6.5 Million playing in the AHL.

Although he is currently in the minors, Redden's contract isn't even the worst contract for a Rangers defenseman. He's a better player than McCabe for not much more; a major reason the Rangers traded for McCabe was that they would have lost Redden on re-entry but been stuck with half of his cap hit.

Yashin plus Dipietro equals Islanders suck. Wang is the worst owner arguabily in pro sports. Kovalchuk deal is right up there for me too, even though his second half is been much better, he's still way over paid. I thought Lemaire was a really shrewd GM until this move, now he just looks desperate to me.

Yeah, I really can't believe Lemaire signed Kovalchuk to that contract. Probably because he isn't the GM, and wasn't even the coach when the signing was made. As for Kovalchuk's contract; he's generally considered one of the top forwards in the world. He had a huge slump to start the year and scored 4 goals, six assists, and ten points in his first 23 games. He has since (starting Nov. 3) scored 22 goals and 19 assists for 41 points in 47 games. He's also been much better defensively than he has been in prior seasons. When compared to Dats and Z, maybe it seems high. But I can remember in the past year, the topics that have been started asking who the top five forwards, or top ten players, top five players, most skilled players, whatever. Kovalchuk was always a regular until his slump early this season and New Jersey's struggles. If he's an elite player like everyone on here was saying, his contract is by no means a bad deal. And it's not; Kovalchuk's deal has come under fire because of New Jersey's cap issues and having to ice fewer than a full squad due to injury. But that is the result of contracts guys like Rolston, Zubrus, Salvador, and Arnott; guys who made their payday and are either on the end of their big deal or squeezed one last drop from the orange. Then you have the Devils buying a new defense in the offseason in Volchenkov and Tallinder, and it becomes clear that Kovalchuk's deal is the one that is reasonable of the group.

Edited by eva unit zero, 19 March 2011 - 08:50 PM.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#56 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:15 AM

Lol at the knee jerkers, you guys are ridiculous.

The guy has one slump and everyone questions his contract (which is pretty reasonable for what he gives). Guess you guys are forgetting how many goals he has this year (more than anyone else on the team, including guys who are paid far more), and his past 3 playoff performances.

Thank god our management isn't as blind as some of the posters here.

Not a knee-jerk at all. I along with several others expressed disapointment with the length of the contract at the time, he basically got a Franchise Player contract as a reward for 27 and 34 goal seasons - at the age of 29. Especially for a player who is prone to floating for large periods of time, whatever happened to "The Mule?"

The money is a bit meh, $4m for a 30 goal scorer is OK I guess. The only good thing about the contract is its structure, so he can retire/be bought out without giving us a punishing cap hit.

As for Rafalski, I've never regarded his contract as the albatross some do. It seemed like a lot at the time, but he was a key, key component of our 2008 cup, part of the "Big 5" that Babcock would ice against the oppositions top line, and just for that I regard his contract as worth it. So by the same token if Franzen scores 12 goals in the playoffs and leads us to the Cup I guess I can forgive him :)
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#57 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:29 AM

The money is a bit meh, $4m for a 30 goal scorer is OK I guess.

It's probably under what most UFA players would get for putting up Franzen's regular season numbers, nevermind his playoff scoring. Some of you guys are complaining about the length, which is certainly valid for its own reasons (lack of motivation primarily), but it's that length that keeps the cap hit down to begin with. It's not hard to "bite the bullet" on that $4M for a guy that has scored the second most playoff goals (behind Hank) since the lockout.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock