• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingfan13

Question about disallowed goals this year

Rate this topic

How many have there been for us ? Is there somewhere that it can be looked up ?

A friend of mine thinks that it happens just as often to every team in the league. I dont know if he is correct or not but I am curious how many we have had this year. I remember 3 for sure but would like more info.

I'm not really sure if there is a definite number that someone keeps track of.. but it definitely seems like it happens a lot to the Wings, especially when Homer is involved..

In reality the number of disallowed goals is probably pretty similar, which I don't have any problem with.. the only part that gets to me is the reputation calls on a guy like Homer, especially one like tonight.. you have guys score goals while players are literally on top of the goalie in some cases and those count but Holstrom's ass is in the crease so its preventing the goalie from making a save.. <_<

I have never understood why they don't review the play. The goal that was called off last night was one of the worst calls I have seen yet. These calls are important to the outcome of every game. Just another thing the NHL can't get right.

The announcers were saying the same thing last night. As much as I hated seeing that goal disallowed and as much as I hate the NHL front office sometimes. right now the main priority and the main goal of the NHL is to focus on the safety of the players. When they have solved that, which they probably never will, then maybe the cry for replaying goals like that can be started. Besides, that goal, like many others, are all judgement based. It sucks that it seems a lot of the time we are on the bad end of the call but it's all judgement. I'm not sticking up for the God awful refs that were taking up space on the rink I'm just saying, there is a lot of human error. And judging from the error the Wings have seen, the IQ of the NHL refs is hovering at about 12.

Let's get these players safe first and then we can worry about killing off some of the refs we don't like and instigating a review system on disallowed goals. :satisfied: :satisfied:

It is just so damned annoying, regardless of who it happens to. We just watch the Wings more so it seems to happen more to them (and it possibly does).

I remember last season late in a game we were playing Chicago, was on NBC, and they were taking us to school to start and would've gone up 3-0 early in the 2nd period on a power play goal I believe, but Byfuglien got called for a cheap phantom interference call much like Holmstrom last night. No penalty or anything I believe, just incidental contact. While I'm glad the Wings eventually won that game (5 goal 2nd period outburst then), Chicago got hosed on that call.

What is absolutely stupid is that no penalty is called in these things. If he interferes, call a damned 2:00 minor just like anything else. If he doesn't, it's a goal for crying out loud.

I enjoying watching the Red Wings and this game so much, but it is beyond explanation how incompetent some of these rules and/or officials are.

My biggest problem is that 98% of the time the NHL gets the call wrong. The rule is pretty simple to follow. The refs make the wrong call according to the rules and of course the NHL is too ***** to admit the call was wrong.

69.1 Interference on the Goalkeeper - This rule is based on the premise that an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances be allowed. Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease. Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact. The rule will be enforced exclusively in accordance with the on-ice judgment of the Referee(s), and not by means of video replay or review.

For purposes of this rule, “contact,” whether incidental or otherwise, shall mean any contact that is made between or among a goalkeeper and attacking player(s), whether by means of a stick or any part of the body.

The overriding rationale of this rule is that a goalkeeper should have the ability to move freely within his goal crease without being hindered by the actions of an attacking player. If an attacking player enters the goal crease and, by his actions, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

If an attacking player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending player so as to cause him to come into contact with the goalkeeper, such contact will not be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.

If a defending player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by an attacking player so as to cause the defending player to come into contact with his own goalkeeper, such contact shall be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, and if necessary a penalty assessed to the attacking player and if a goal is scored it would be disallowed.

You know what would be cool? A rule that allows you to stockpile disallowed goals. Since so many end up being legit goals called off, teams should be allowed to save up the ones that the NHL reviews and admits were legit, and use them at any point in any future game, haha.

Down 7-1 in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final? Use your 7 disallowed goals to win 8-7.

You know what would be cool? A rule that allows you to stockpile disallowed goals. Since so many end up being legit goals called off, teams should be allowed to save up the ones that the NHL reviews and admits were legit, and use them at any point in any future game, haha.

Down 7-1 in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final? Use your 7 disallowed goals to win 8-7.

the fact that you even came up with this is scary. bettman would totally do this. don't let him see this.

My biggest problem is that 98% of the time the NHL gets the call wrong. The rule is pretty simple to follow. The refs make the wrong call according to the rules and of course the NHL is too ***** to admit the call was wrong.

69.1 Interference on the Goalkeeper - This rule is based on the premise that an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances be allowed. Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease. Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact. The rule will be enforced exclusively in accordance with the on-ice judgment of the Referee(s), and not by means of video replay or review.

For purposes of this rule, “contact,” whether incidental or otherwise, shall mean any contact that is made between or among a goalkeeper and attacking player(s), whether by means of a stick or any part of the body.

The overriding rationale of this rule is that a goalkeeper should have the ability to move freely within his goal crease without being hindered by the actions of an attacking player. If an attacking player enters the goal crease and, by his actions, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

If an attacking player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending player so as to cause him to come into contact with the goalkeeper, such contact will not be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.

If a defending player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by an attacking player so as to cause the defending player to come into contact with his own goalkeeper, such contact shall be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, and if necessary a penalty assessed to the attacking player and if a goal is scored it would be disallowed.

What bugs me about this is that often times they will call interference when the goaltender is outside the crease... not that it opposes the rule but that it's even a part of the rule. In today's game... what's the crease even do?

I'm fine with most of how the rule is written, except the part about not being able to review the play. I think that is the biggest mistake about this rule because many times, the refs can't see exactly what goes on, as Ken said, because the pace is so fast. And when refs obviously can't see a player cross-checking/punching another player three times in the back of the head when he's standing right next to where this is happening but can see that somehow a player made infinitesimal contact with a goalie when he's clear on the other side of the rink it becomes blatantly apparent that something needs to be tweaked to make the play fair for all teams across the board.

What bugs me about this is that often times they will call interference when the goaltender is outside the crease... not that it opposes the rule but that it's even a part of the rule. In today's game... what's the crease even do?

This is my biggest gripe about the rule. If the goaltender is completely outside of the crease, he should be fair game. I'm not saying blast the guy, but if contact occurs incidentally or not, a goal should be a goal. I haven't seen a goal in long ass time that was disallowed simply because a player's foot was in the crease first. The crease is pointless.

I'm fine with most of how the rule is written, except the part about not being able to review the play. I think that is the biggest mistake about this rule because many times, the refs can't see exactly what goes on, as Ken said, because the pace is so fast. And when refs obviously can't see a player cross-checking/punching another player three times in the back of the head when he's standing right next to where this is happening but can see that somehow a player made infinitesimal contact with a goalie when he's clear on the other side of the rink it becomes blatantly apparent that something needs to be tweaked to make the play fair for all teams across the board.

Good post. It probably wouldn't help Detroit very often though. Toronto has not been very kind to the Wings in the past.

Edited by MidMichSteve