• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

3/21 GDT: Penguins 5 at Red Wings 4 (SO)

Rate this topic

Pros: The Wings got a point. Proved that no lead is safe against them. I have more confidence in Joey MacDonald now. Exciting game. Darren Helm... holy hell is this guy good. Scoring on that SH opportunity would have been the perfect ending.

Cons: Jimmy Howard was TERRIBLE. All that matters is that he's hot for the playoffs, but I hope a bad game like this doesn't hurt his confidence. Lost to the F'N Penguins, which means I'm going to have to listen to "We beat your Wings in Detroit without Crosby, Malkin, Orpik or Fleury! Derrrr" UGH!

Lost to the F'N Penguins, which means I'm going to have to listen to "We beat your Wings in Detroit without Crosby, Malkin, Orpik or Fleury! Derrrr" UGH!

To which you respond, "Okay, but then again... Matt Cooke. That is all."

If they somehow don't know who Matt Cooke is, which wouldn't be all that surprising even with all the notoriety, then I guess you could just bring up Hines Ward's reputation for being a dirty player and then say that those two are like two gutless peas in a sociopathic Pittsburgh pond.

Not sure what you guys are cheering about. We've gotten 11 points of a possible 20 last 10 games. We keep playing .500 hockey, we'll be a 5-6 seed going into the playoffs.

Of course, we have been better on the road than at home, maybe we don't want home ice.

Not sure what you guys are cheering about. We've gotten 11 points of a possible 20 last 10 games. We keep playing .500 hockey, we'll be a 5-6 seed going into the playoffs.

Of course, we have been better on the road than at home, maybe we don't want home ice.

Detroit has 9 points on the Hawks. The only way they take less than third is if the Hawks take the Central, which they won't.

Edited by Doc Holliday

listened to the game at work...just got home and have paging through the GDT. it's only natural, of course, but it's so funny to me to read posts from different times in the game. knowing that the wings would eventually come back to tie the game, it's funny reading posts from people who were willing to murder every member of the red wings organization when we were down 4-0 only to revel in the joy later on. i can't say that i don't feel the same way, but it's just interesting to take a step back afterward and see how fickle we all are. :)

anyway, glad to get the point, and, IMO more importantly, for the guys to prove to themselves that they can come back no matter what. yeah, we suck at shootouts (esp. with our third-string goalie in there, though joey has been playing well as of late), but you get the feeling that in a playoff game, with eternal five-on-five overtime, the wings end up winning it. like we've said before, hopefully the wings can build on the momentum of this game.

even if it's a loss in the standings, it's still, somehow, a win emotionally.

wish i could have been at the joe for mo's 4rd period goal. moments like that are why i like sports (magglio's walk-off homer to send the tigers to the series, usa's late goal vs. algeria come to mind. pure ecstasy.)

THIS

Being at the Joe last night was the true rollercoaster of emotions. From the I hate my life please let it end already to the intensity of cheers rising up with every goal. My heart was pounding, my legs were weak, and the atmosphere was electric. Having never been to a finals game, I can only imagine that this is what its like. Well worth the price of admission. :thumbup:

Was at the game last night and wasn't able to gather any rational thoughts when I got home... biggrin.gif I'll let you figure that one out. But horrific start to a game which we have seen all too often lately. The middle of the 2nd to the 3rd was some of their best brand of hockey and lucky to see the Penguins become undisciplined with a big lead, yet again. Flips and Modano were playing out of their minds last night. Flip was probably the best player on the ice the 2nd half of this game. Even aside from the goal, Modo was making plays, skating hard, and throwing some weight. Helm was being Helm and even a great game for Abby. We have to look at this game as nothing but a positive because of the circumstances and it being a comeback scenario. Hope the momentum carries over and we can get a player or 2 back for the tilt against Vancouver.

Edited by HankthaTank

Hi all Red Wings fans. This is my first post. I live in Finland and i'm fanatic DRW fan. Fil was great against Penguins lastnight. Finaly. I hope he's getting better after injury. Hope Dat's coming back soon because he's my'n number 1 hockeyplayer in the world :) Let's go red wings. Wings for ever. And sry my english :)

Edited by Finnish fanatic DRW fan

You aren't being a "realist", you just sound foolish unfortunately. Panic buttons are all the rage. They looked bad, but salvaged a pretty great point last night no matter what you want to say. Not sure how you gathered this notion of the 5-6 seed thing though. No way will we lose the division.

Hi all Red Wings fans. This is my first post. I live in Finland and i'm fanatic DRW fan. Fil was great against Penguins lastnight. Finaly. I hope he's getting better after injury. Hope Dat's coming back soon because he's my'n number 1 hockeyplayer in the world :) Let's go red wings. Wings for ever. And sry my english :)

Welcome, and there are quite a few big Filppula fans around these parts. ;)

:) yeah and i understand clearly why. i've been very frustrated too because he's got good speed and hand's but bad shot. But still he need shoot more like coach have told him to do.Hope he's continue playing like lastnight. Next season me and few DRW fans come to Detroit.That's promise:)

From highlights that looked and sounded like a Playoffs match. Very loud Joe, I love it. Can't wait for Playoffs...

But Howard was giving some juicy rebounds and it costed. :thumbdown:

Greetings and welcome to the dark side. ;)

Detroit has 9 points on the Hawks. The only way they take less than third is if the Hawks take the Central, which they won't.

You're right. After doing the math, we'd need to be much worse than the 0.55 to lose the Central. My bad on the math. At this pace we'll end up at 105 pts, with s***cago at 100.

You aren't being a "realist", you just sound foolish unfortunately. Panic buttons are all the rage. They looked bad, but salvaged a pretty great point last night no matter what you want to say. Not sure how you gathered this notion of the 5-6 seed thing though. No way will we lose the division.

You're right, my math was wrong. Not panicking, but also not resorting to personal attacks. We'll see what happens if the Wings find themselves trailing 0-4 during a playoff game. My point is this s*** isn't going to cut it in the playoffs, and this team isn't showing signs of not getting good starts in games consistently.

Howard's inconsistency drives me nuts. I hope he doesn't start a bad streak unless he can end it before playoffs and start playing amazing for the remainder of the playoffs. In that case I say get it out of your system, Howard!

I got in here late, I was at the game last night, great atmosphere! I counted today, that was my 14th trip to the Joe and that was BY FAR the loudest and best crowd I've ever been a part of at any sporting event I've been to! To bad the shootout ruins such great games. It's almost a shame either team has to lose. I never had a problem with ties.

Just a comment on the "Crosby Sucks" chant, loved it! I was in section 217A, and after the Wings cut the lead to 4-3, the section to the right of mine started a "Pittsburgh Sucks" chant, and it changed to "Crosby Sucks". I don't know if people thought it was classless, but in reality, who are we hurting? We're just having fun.

Anyway, over all great game and night. When Modano scored to tie it, not only did I stand up to cheer, I also jumped as high as a I could :hehe: and I'm sure I was one of 20,066 who did! I have a 3 hour drive to Detroit for games, so the game was well worth not getting to bed until 2:30am and being tired at work all day today.

I love how Pierre McDouche has to ask EVERY Pens player about Matt Cooke.

So glad I was at the game and didn't have to hear Pierre on TV.

At least we made a game of it, right? They could have packed it in when we were down 4-1, but they rallied back to force a shoot-out. That says something about character or improbable verve....something like that.

All I asked was for the Wings not to embarrass themselves, and while they did so early on, they redeemed themselves. It makes the loss a little easier to take, at least.

From highlights that looked and sounded like a Playoffs match. Very loud Joe, I love it. Can't wait for Playoffs...

But Howard was giving some juicy rebounds and it costed. :thumbdown:

I was at the game last night, and can honestly say, of all the wings games I've been to at the Joe, I've never heard the crowd as loud as it was last night. It felt great as a fan, so I'm sure the players loved it.

The Pens look really tired. The back-to-backs caught up with them. Time to finish them off now.

Nobody's gonna see this post because it's so far past the event, but they were indeed mostly on their knees. They were playing desperate and stoopid in the last few minutes of the game. Letang went berserk more than once. Neal should have been penalized for chocking Helm while he was down in front of their net.

The main thing we noticed through at least half the third period was that Babcock kept the Wings' shifts very short, trying to take advantage of the Poopyjammer Pens' poopedness. It almost worked. And Modano had a great third period along with of course, Helm and Flip. It was great to see him rev it up.

We were there and we don't feel like we got screwed, even coming all the way from Texas to see it.

I've got to give props to the fans at the Joe - a lot more of them hung in there than I might have imagined. WTG, Wings fans!! Never, ever count the Wings out.

Bet yer buns. No way in hell I would have left that contest. :w00t2: Yep, it took them seemingly forever to get going, but I was proud of their effort.

The Joe's reaction to Modano's tying goal was one of the loudest I've ever heard come out of the venue!

YES,IT.WAS! The kind that makes your brain rattle and your ears squeal back at you. :lol:

I WAS THERE, I WAS THERE!!! Sorry, just got back from Detroit on Thursday and had to come in and gloat. Hot dang that was a fun game! If I had to go to a loss, that was the way to do it!

The Joe's reaction to Modano's tying goal was one of the loudest I've ever heard come out of the venue!

Yes!! I was saying my prayers all week long, hoping that Modano would get a goal while I was there, and I just about lost it and definitely scared the crap out of the kids next to me when he did get it. And not only did he get a goal, but it was the game-tying goal. Holy Mo-ly. (You know I'm excited when the lame-o puns start to roll out.)

YES,IT.WAS! The kind that makes your brain rattle and your ears squeal back at you. :lol:

I was there too. It was easily the loudest ive ever heard the Joe, it was like we reached a whole new level of crazyness. I seen New York vs Boston, in Boston, and that was the loudest, rowdiest game i had ever been to. This was better.