• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Berry

Barry Smith

Rate this topic

I just discovered that Barry Smith is the new coach of HC Lugano (Switzerland), the hockey club of my hometown.

Personally, I don't remember him in the Red Wings organisation; I was too young and too far from Detroit:)

Can you tell me something about him? Is he a valuable coach?

I just discovered that Barry Smith is the new coach of HC Lugano (Switzerland), the hockey club of my hometown.

Personally, I don't remember him in the Red Wings organisation; I was too young and too far from Detroit:)

He was assistant here under Scotty Bowman with Dave Lewis. Scotty wanted him to take over when he retired. They went with Dave Lewis....

INCREDIBLY under-rated... he should be a head coach in the NHL...

He was assistant here under Scotty Bowman with Dave Lewis. Scotty wanted him to take over when he retired. They went with Dave Lewis....

I remember hearing Smith said he'd stay and assist while Lewis said he didn't want to assist and would leave if Smith was head. The organization went with Lewis to keep both of them. Could have been a rumor but probably had some truth.

I'd love to have his defensive mind on the coaching staff now.

Just imagine where we'd be if we had gone with Smith instead of Lewis. Then again, we might never have gotten Babcock, then.

I like this hypothetical, alternate universe scenario better - We still go the route we did, but when McClellan leaves for SJ, we hire Smith back as an asst :)

Personally, I don't remember him in the Red Wings organization; I was too young and too far from Detroit:)

When Scottie left i always felt that he should have been given the head coaching job over Dave and was disappointed when he left the organization.

How about we just fire McCrimmon and re-hire Smith?

In a perfect world...

Don't tease me like that!

Seriously, the site should design/offer up "Fire McCrimmon" t-shirts like the Lions did a few years back with Millen

fire_millen_tshirt-p235566423422263145qw9y_400.jpg