• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nate94gt

will the wings re-sign modano?

Rate this topic

It really is a tough call just for the reasons already mentioned, we have some youth available but it really depends on how "ready" these young players are. We don't want a team of grinders and too much youth either.

I'd like us to get younger. I know we've got around and around with this kind of discussion about 4,156,813,266 times, but seriously get some muscle up front. A grinder. If we meet a team like San Jose in the playoffs, we're gonna get grinded right into the ice. Jared Boll, David Clarkson, Dan Carcillo, Chris Thorburn, Gregory Campbell, and Zenon Konopka are all available this off-season, and that's not even the tip of the iceberg.

Yes please to all of those guys.

Seriously, what does Holland want with a 40 year old floater, who has always played soft and has already won cups so isn't hungry?

If we're signing and old guy it should be another Dallas Drake. Hasn't won a cup, will do anything to help the team win and can smash some bodies out there.

Old, washed up skill on the bottom lines is not how Detroit has ever built a championship team.

Carcillo would put a target on the Wings' stars for his continuous idiotic play.

I'm all for grit but it's worth noting the last two times the Wings won the Cup they were dead last in fighting majors in the regular season.

Too early to say. But the Wings have 14 forwards this year. Modano, Draper, Eaves and Miller are all UFAs.

They have Mursak and Emmerton both out of options and possibly Ilari and Tatar ready to come up.

So My thoughts are no...

My guess is Draper is back on a 2-way and spends most of the year in Grand Rapids, Tatar spends his last year in Grand Rapids and Mursak, Emmerton, Ilari and Miller will compete for spots with Eaves almost a shoe in to keep his job.

So with the forward depth we have, i say no.

iFlip I would say is 99% chance an AHL player for life, hes good, but, it really seems that the Wings Org has him low on the depth chart and see him more as a veteran presence in the AHL, which as I keep saying is not a horrible thing, having an older Euro there to help the kids adjust and get use to the NA game and life is something the wings really have needed.

As for Modo next year, I say save the cash and make a run at Brad Richards.

Eaves and Draper likely stay. Mursak and Emmerton will compete to wear the Wheel. Ilari definitely stays in GR - despite being touted as one of the AHL's best. I think there's a strong possibility they bring Modano back at the right price. He's yet to really have the time to blend with the team, given his injury, and he's been pretty solid the last few games. Maybe I'm just noticing because it's Mo, but he's been fast and strong on the puck.

It took Modano nearly 20 games to get comfortable and going, and then his injury sidelined him. Therefore, it's unclear if we should consider what he's done since coming back as proof of what he brings to the table. He's got to get comfortable all over again.

If he picks it up some going into the playoffs and throughout, then yeah, no brainer, if he's cheap he's a good depth signing. Just look at how Bertuzzi turned around once he came back for his second go round healthier and more comfortable.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

I love Mo, and he's played decently, but nah we gotta get younger and grittier.

We've been hearing this same thing for 2 decades now.

Yes please to all of those guys.

Seriously, what does Holland want with a 40 year old floater, who has always played soft and has already won cups so isn't hungry?

If we're signing and old guy it should be another Dallas Drake. Hasn't won a cup, will do anything to help the team win and can smash some bodies out there.

Old, washed up skill on the bottom lines is not how Detroit has ever built a championship team.

I'm sure this would be news to Mike.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

I like this scenario better: We win the cup, he retires wearing the Winged Wheel and goes out on top...

Exactly. Probably the only one that makes all of us happy I am sure. I can't really see him coming back next year even though the past few games he really seems to have hit his stride with Flip. We shall see, but I'd like to have Eaves back (main priority imo), Drapes can also come back seeing as he is a useful depth guy to have and great locker room presence, and Mursak comes up full time. Miller is out and most likely so is Mikey.

Exactly. Probably the only one that makes all of us happy I am sure. I can't really see him coming back next year even though the past few games he really seems to have hit his stride with Flip. We shall see, but I'd like to have Eaves back (main priority imo), Drapes can also come back seeing as he is a useful depth guy to have and great locker room presence, and Mursak comes up full time. Miller is out and most likely so is Mikey.

That's pretty much my view on the roster priority to the tee...

I'd like us to get younger. I know we've got around and around with this kind of discussion about 4,156,813,266 times, but seriously get some muscle up front. A grinder. If we meet a team like San Jose in the playoffs, we're gonna get grinded right into the ice. Jared Boll, David Clarkson, Dan Carcillo, Chris Thorburn, Gregory Campbell, and Zenon Konopka are all available this off-season, and that's not even the tip of the iceberg.

I agree with the players you mention. However, Boll and Campbell aren't UFAs after this season. There are always a few good guys available in the off-season- last year Prust, Konopka, Boll, etc were there and I'm sure there will be others this year. This is probably a topic best served for the off-season, but as you probably know by now, I hope the Wings can pick someone up like the players you mentioned.

EDIT- I was a Carcillo fan before this year, but he does too much talking and not enough fighting. A couple weeks ago against the Leafs he mouthed off to the Leafs' bench, then mouthed off to Brown and cross-checked him. Brown challenged him and Carcillo skated away. I'm all for getting under the other team's skin, but I believe there needs to be some amount of honor in a player's game. I saw that from Carcillo when he was with Phoenix, but I haven't seen it much from him since.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

Jared Boll, David Clarkson, Dan Carcillo, Chris Thorburn, Gregory Campbell, and Zenon Konopka are all available this off-season, and that's not even the tip of the iceberg.

You had those pipe dreams last offseason too. I don't want to be the one to break it to you, but I truly cannot see the Wings pursuing these players. Furthermore, I would much rather we conserve as much cap space and throw a truck load Shea Weber's way. I realize that might be even more of a pipe dream than the names you have presented but it's a franchise changing type move that will make this fanbase overjoyed. There is a strange link between the Wings and Weber. I wonder if this could happen.....

You had those pipe dreams last offseason too. I don't want to be the one to break it to you, but I truly cannot see the Wings pursuing these players. Furthermore, I would much rather we conserve as much cap space and throw a truck load Shea Weber's way. I realize that might be even more of a pipe dream than the names you have presented but it's a franchise changing type move that will make this fanbase overjoyed. There is a strange link between the Wings and Weber. I wonder if this could happen.....

All of the players mentioned in that post are better skaters/players than Downey was. Therefore, I don't think it is ridiculous to think that the Wings' may sign one of them. However, any move is likely more based on roster space than need. The Wings' essentially had 13 forwards before Modano, and therefore trying to sign one of these players wasn't a possibility (due to Modano's decision time).

Weber would cost 8+ million and FOUR first round draft picks (required by the CBA for signing a RFA to a 5+ mill contract). Getting Suter in two years is more likely and more feasible. For how this franchise values draft picks, I don't see them letting four first round picks go for Weber. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, but it is unlikely.

No way Nashville lets him get away and we won't have the cap space as Lids is looking very likely to be back...

No way Nashville lets him get away and we won't have the cap space as Lids is looking very likely to be back...

I know but, man, how awesome would this be living in an NHL 11 world? :lol:

Truly, I hope what BruiseBros presented can happen as the grit/tough guy is necessary as much as that debate goes on for many hours and months and all that. It's just an all too familiar thing we seem to want but never address. I just don't want to get my hopes up on any of them guys and also want to realize as they can all skate well and are talented, I just don't see their use. A Lombardi type player is something I'd love to see on our squad as well.

I know but, man, how awesome would this be living in an NHL 11 world? :lol:

Truly, I hope what BruiseBros presented can happen as the grit/tough guy is necessary as much as that debate goes on for many hours and months and all that. It's just an all too familiar thing we seem to want but never address. I just don't want to get my hopes up on any of them guys and also want to realize as they can all skate well and are talented, I just don't see their use. A Lombardi type player is something I'd love to see on our squad as well.

Agreed... he would make any team markedly better and I'd welcome him with open arms and in a dream world, it's fun to think about for sure!

I really wanted Malhotra this past off-season, Lombardi wouldn't have been bad either... with that said, I think we have plenty of depth in the system and I don't really see any need to go outside of the organization this off-season to fill any holes, except backup goalie (I don't think Ozzie will, or should, come back for another year - he has been a warrior and a great goalie and this is not saying he couldn't possibly still play, I just think his body is breaking down)... the only way I see us needing to go outside of the organization is if the brass feels we need a shake-up via trade or the unthinkable happens (it has to do with retirement and someone whose name I can't actually bring myself to type in the same sentence as the "r" word)

Most recent article, Modano doesn't sound too optimistic about coming back. "Nothing meaningful has happened to me here."

I've always loved Modano's game but he has really come off as a Negative Nancy the past few years. Maybe not the type of guy you want in the locker room.

I'd like to see the Wings go outside of the organization for grit, and possibly a new 7th d-man if Smith is not ready for the NHL. Tardif could fill the grit aspect, but I am not sure if he is up to/wants to be that type of player for the Wings. I'd like to see someone be the 13th forward that can fight (and play).

There's no one available that's worth losing our current assets, remember that both Mursak and Emmerton are out of options for next year, so like I said, unless there is a trade, I don't see anyone worth making that move... also, Janik will most likely be our 7th dman next year if Ericsson is not re-signed and if he is, then our D probably stands pat for next year... I'd even just as soon bring Salei back, over wasting money on an outside guy...

Most recent article, Modano doesn't sound too optimistic about coming back. "Nothing meaningful has happened to me here."

article

If you read that, I feel like that statement makes it seem worse than what he was really trying to say there. The entire article makes me seem like he wants to do something here and wants to help us get to a level that we all know we can get to. Last night was a big step in the right direction for him.

It really bothers me the way some of you talk about Modano.

I thought this forum had enough class to show a little respect to a future hall-of-famer....I mean the guy had an amazing career and was/is an inspiration to US born hockey players of this generation.

The guy got mistreated in Dallas (IMO), and he came to his hometown to give hockey another try. He got injured right when he was starting to flow with his linemates and fit into the wings way of doing things, plus he's had a bunch of good chances, just bad luck...so its understandable that he is pretty much back to step one.

What did you expect a 20+ goal season? I think having him for the price he's at is a steal.

on another note: I really wish Babcock would stop playing Moe with Homer...besides the Pens game last night they really havent clicked IMO.

when was this? I apparently missed that one.

nm, i see hank posted it

Edited by nate94gt