• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nate94gt

will the wings re-sign modano?

Rate this topic

It really bothers me the way some of you talk about Modano.

I thought this forum had enough class to show a little respect to a future hall-of-famer....I mean the guy had an amazing career and was/is an inspiration to US born hockey players of this generation.

The guy got mistreated in Dallas (IMO), and he came to his hometown to give hockey another try. He got injured right when he was starting to flow with his linemates and fit into the wings way of doing things, plus he's had a bunch of good chances, just bad luck...so its understandable that he is pretty much back to step one.

What did you expect a 20+ goal season? I think having him for the price he's at is a steal.

on another note: I really wish Babcock would stop playing Moe with Homer...besides the Pens game last night they really havent clicked IMO.

I agree completely, you stole the words out of my mouth. Like it was said earlier, it took TWENTY games before he was showing to be clicking with the movement and style the Red Wings play. Some may say that 20 is a huge number, what about Hudler? He took longer... and secondly, the guy didn't care about Dallas for the past 3 years he was there. When he was stripped of his C he was just playing hockey on his own terms in Dallas; he announced this. When he came to Detroit he actually conditioned himself, wanted to play, wanted to help the team out. I swear when he got injured in November everyone was sitting here making threads "OH MY GOD MODANO INJURED HE WAS JUST CLICKING!!" now because he isn't Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin we want to put him to the dogs? Come on fellas... you're all crazy right now.

EDIT: In regards to that quote, you may want to add in some additional information like this quote...

“When you feel the end is near and you’re trying to squeeze ever last drop out of you before it’s over; certainly here there are a lot of expectations to win and be successful,” he said. “The opportunity is there, so you want to come in and contribute a little bit and feel like you’re a meaningful piece to this team.”

You hate him for even admitting that he wants to do more for this team? He's try to find his confidence just like Hudler earlier in the season, he WANTS us to feel like hes acting helping out big time.

Edited by evilzyme

There's no one available that's worth losing our current assets, remember that both Mursak and Emmerton are out of options for next year, so like I said, unless there is a trade, I don't see anyone worth making that move... also, Janik will most likely be our 7th dman next year if Ericsson is not re-signed and if he is, then our D probably stands pat for next year... I'd even just as soon bring Salei back, over wasting money on an outside guy...

No one available? Did you make the same statement last year when Prust was available? IMO Prust fills more of what the Wings' need than Emmerton. There are many similar players available this off-season too. Right now, the Wings have an excess of skilled 4th liners and a deficiency of gritty 4th liners. It's not that I don't like Emmerton, but we also have Miller, Eaves, Abby, Helm, Draper, and Mursak. One of these players will likely be on the third line while the others will fight for fourth line spots. According to capgeek, Emmerton isn't signed for next year. http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1207

I'd like the Wings to shop the UFA D market, but I am fine with Janik or Salei on the back-end. How is not resigning Salei and bringing someone else in wasting money? That makes no sense.

I thought this forum had enough class to show a little respect to a future hall-of-famer....I mean the guy had an amazing career and was/is an inspiration to US born hockey players of this generation.

The guy got mistreated in Dallas (IMO), and he came to his hometown to give hockey another try. He got injured right when he was starting to flow with his linemates and fit into the wings way of doing things, plus he's had a bunch of good chances, just bad luck...so its understandable that he is pretty much back to step one.

What did you expect a 20+ goal season? I think having him for the price he's at is a steal.

on another note: I really wish Babcock would stop playing Moe with Homer...besides the Pens game last night they really havent clicked IMO.

Saying that you don't want to resign a player is not disrespect, it is an opinion. I don't think anyone in this thread is trying to discredit anything Modano has done during his career. He is one of the greatest American born players ever.

People probably expected at least 10 goals from Modano since he has been on the third line. To date, he isn't on pace to score 10 goals if his stats are altered to reflect an 82 game season. Therefore, the posters suggesting Modano shouldn't be resigned have evidence to back-up that he isn't producing. He will be 41 next season, so I don't think it's realistic to expect an improvement in his conditioning, skating, etc.

I love Modano as much as anyone, but sometimes you have to hang them up. Like Chelios, he could be a great mentor on another team, but IMO his main attribute is his experience and the Wings are stacked when it comes to experience.

No one available? Did you make the same statement last year when Prust was available? IMO Prust fills more of what the Wings' need than Emmerton. There are many similar players available this off-season too. Right now, the Wings have an excess of skilled 4th liners and a deficiency of gritty 4th liners. It's not that I don't like Emmerton, but we also have Miller, Eaves, Abby, Helm, Draper, and Mursak. One of these players will likely be on the third line while the others will fight for fourth line spots. According to capgeek, Emmerton isn't signed for next year. http://www.capgeek.c...lay.php?id=1207

I'd like the Wings to shop the UFA D market, but I am fine with Janik or Salei on the back-end. How is not resigning Salei and bringing someone else in wasting money? That makes no sense.

The problem is this, Salei is already this focused on his new child. I'm already seeing him retire after this season, he wants to be more family oriented. For how much he has spent time with his wife in California and has been granted all this time off for their birth (which is very nice) but obviously he wants to finish his contract but hes not trying to miss time with his family.

being a bit over dramatic arent you? all i have seen in this thread is an analysis of the wings bottom 6 depth for next year. heck, most of the posts aren't even about modano as they are more talking about who would fill the bottom 6 best. and for the posts that are about modano, all of them i read are just objectively talking about his play and stats this year. no one is dissing his family or him, and i think the very worst comments are people saying he floated at times this year. if that is all it takes for you to feel someone is being mistreated, you might not have thick enough skin to be on internet message boards. they are the epitome of hyperbole and despite wishes otherwise, LGW is unfortunately no different.

also, while i didn't expect a 20 goal season, he has been a disappointment. he has almost 3 minutes a game on the PP, and has only 7 PP points IIRC. he is the 2nd worst minus player despite playing only 32 games. he has under a .5 PPG. out of the 8 wings players with over 100 faceoffs, he is the only one below 50%. need i go on???? and let me reiterate, i am sure mike modano is a cool dude. and he certainly was a great hockey player for decades. but if we look at his play this year, its been disappointing regardless of how much i love or respect him.

Modano has 5 points in his last 9 games, after recovering from a serious injury. Cut the guy some slack maybe? I'm guessing if he wants to come back next season, Holland will give it serious consideration.

The problem is this, Salei is already this focused on his new child. I'm already seeing him retire after this season, he wants to be more family oriented. For how much he has spent time with his wife in California and has been granted all this time off for their birth (which is very nice) but obviously he wants to finish his contract but hes not trying to miss time with his family.

Losing Salei is not a huge deal IMO. I'd be very happy if he hung them up on good terms to be with his family. However, a player of his caliber should be relatively easy to find. If the Wings are still trying to develop E, I would be fine with Janik being the 7th defensemen. Otherwise, signing a solid 6th/7th dman should be easy. Exelby is just one player to comes to mind.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

Losing Salei is not a huge deal IMO. I'd be very happy if he hung them up on good terms to be with his family. However, a player of his caliber should be relatively easy to find. If the Wings are still trying to develop E, I would be fine with Janik being the 7th defensemen. Otherwise, signing a solid 6th/7th dman should be easy. Exelby is just one player to comes to mind.

I completely agree, Salei is playing great this season though and we are in desperate need of solid defensive defensemen.

also, while i didn't expect a 20 goal season, he has been a disappointment. he has almost 3 minutes a game on the PP, and has only 7 PP points IIRC. he is the 2nd worst minus player despite playing only 32 games. he has under a .5 PPG. out of the 8 wings players with over 100 faceoffs, he is the only one below 50%. need i go on???? and let me reiterate, i am sure mike modano is a cool dude. and he certainly was a great hockey player for decades. but if we look at his play this year, its been disappointing regardless of how much i love or respect him.

He has 6 points in 12 games since he's been back. 7 in the 11 before he got hurt. He had a poor first 9 games and a major injury. Calling him a disappointment is a bit harsh. Suggests some unreasonable expectations.

That said, we have 11 forwards already signed (counting Mursak), and Eaves should be a priority. Between Miller, Draper, Emmerton, Tatar and other potential UFAs on the market I wouldn't give priority to Mo.

We just need to win the Cup so Mo, Draper, and Ozzie can all go out in style, and we free up some spots to reload.

I like this scenario better: We win the cup, he retires wearing the Winged Wheel and goes out on top...

I don't like this, but I may be paranoid. I think if Lids wins another Cup, and wins another Norris, he may retire on top, as a team member and an individual. What else is there to prove at that point?

I don't like this, but I may be paranoid. I think if Lids wins another Cup, and wins another Norris, he may retire on top, as a team member and an individual. What else is there to prove at that point?

6th Cup and 8th Norris. He can't resist that challenge!

Honestly, why would he quit "on top?" He's so competitive, he'd probably wonder why he should quit when he's still the best in the game. I understand not wanting to overstay your welcome, but you're not going to go from best in the league to crappy 5 or 6 D-man over the course of a summer. He'd at least have one year left after I'm sure.

This roster keeps just Eaves out of him, Draper, Miller, and Modano. It also brings back Lidstrom at 6.2, Ozzie at 600k, and Ericsson at 1.2m. Our signings include a Reasonable Forward at 5.5million, and a Solid Defensman at 1mill. This senario would leave us with 50k in cap space, not ideal. So we would either go cheaper on the forward or sign Draper at league Min and let Eaves go instead.

Of course you could tweak this lots of ways but anyway you put it we should be in a great situation where we have to decide who we keep/letgo to bring in some fresh talent.

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Reasonable Forward ($5.500m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($1.200m)

/ Solid Defensman ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.600m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $63,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,358,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $41,289

He's depth. Frankly, if he can live with fourth line minutes and a view from the press box from time to time, I'd give him another year on the cheap. But no, Mikey Mo… no more PP time. Sorry.

He's playing well tonight though.

He played like crap before his injury, and he has played like crap after coming back. He's been the team's worst forward this year. Behind Miller, Emmerton and Mursak, one of whom we definitely lose to keep Modano.

No one available? Did you make the same statement last year when Prust was available? IMO Prust fills more of what the Wings' need than Emmerton. There are many similar players available this off-season too. Right now, the Wings have an excess of skilled 4th liners and a deficiency of gritty 4th liners. It's not that I don't like Emmerton, but we also have Miller, Eaves, Abby, Helm, Draper, and Mursak. One of these players will likely be on the third line while the others will fight for fourth line spots. According to capgeek, Emmerton isn't signed for next year. http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1207

Did you even read my post? I said this upcoming off-season. What does last year have to do with it? (also, maybe do a search before you make assumptions) Prust is not available, so that example is useless.

Emmerton not being signed, doesn't mean anything - he's still an asset, an RFA, but still an asset nonetheless, so once again, unless they want to let him walk for nothing, he has to be on the big club, or be exposed to waivers... he is out of options (once again, him not being signed yet, means nothing - a tender will at least be qualified)

As for signing someone else - this isn't a video game, bodies aren't just easy swaps - The Wings system is not for everyone and if you have a piece that fits, you don't replace him with a lateral move, just for the sake of making change...

I don't know how much more I can clarify this to you, you're arguing moot points...

Did you even read my post? I said this upcoming off-season. What does last year have to do with it? (also, maybe do a search before you make assumptions) Prust is not available, so that example is useless.

Emmerton not being signed, doesn't mean anything - he's still an asset, an RFA, but still an asset nonetheless, so once again, unless they want to let him walk for nothing, he has to be on the big club, or be exposed to waivers... he is out of options (once again, him not being signed yet, means nothing - a tender will at least be qualified)

As for signing someone else - this isn't a video game, bodies aren't just easy swaps - The Wings system is not for everyone and if you have a piece that fits, you don't replace him with a lateral move, just for the sake of making change...

I don't know how much more I can clarify this to you, you're arguing moot points...

It was apparent that you were talking about this coming off-season. I also knew that Prust isn't availible- if you search, you will see that I was talking about Prust a lot last off-season before he was re-signed by NYR. The example is not useless because Prust is not a rare player. His 'break-out' year this year isn't ordinary, but his skill set is relatively common. Off the top of my head, Rosehill and Konopka have contracts ending this year. After the playoffs this year, I'm sure there will be a long list compiled by Newfy, Bring Back..., myself, etc of available gritty players. If you search, you will see this was done last summer, multiple times.

If this Wings don't see Emmerton in their future, than his development is a sunk cost. While I actually like Emmerton, his skill-set is redundant on the Wings. He could be one of the players on next years team, but he will have to beat out a lot of other players. IMO he will likely be re-signed and sent down to GR (or traded) after camp. He's Ritola 2.0- good enough for most teams, but redundant on the Wings (has a chance at camp).

I agree that not everyone fits on the Wings, but Emmerton's 2 NHL games are hardly a confirmation that he fits into the NHL system. If Brad May and Aaron Downey managed to fit in, I would not be worried about any Boll, Prust, Konopka type player fitting in. Most players like this are great locker room guys, and they rarely cause problems internally (excluding Carcillo).

It was apparent that you were talking about this coming off-season. I also knew that Prust isn't availible- if you search, you will see that I was talking about Prust a lot last off-season before he was re-signed by NYR. The example is not useless because Prust is not a rare player. His 'break-out' year this year isn't ordinary, but his skill set is relatively common. Off the top of my head, Rosehill and Konopka have contracts ending this year. After the playoffs this year, I'm sure there will be a long list compiled by Newfy, Bring Back..., myself, etc of available gritty players. If you search, you will see this was done last summer, multiple times.

If this Wings don't see Emmerton in their future, than his development is a sunk cost. While I actually like Emmerton, his skill-set is redundant on the Wings. He could be one of the players on next years team, but he will have to beat out a lot of other players. IMO he will likely be re-signed and sent down to GR (or traded) after camp. He's Ritola 2.0- good enough for most teams, but redundant on the Wings (has a chance at camp).

I agree that not everyone fits on the Wings, but Emmerton's 2 NHL games are hardly a confirmation that he fits into the NHL system. If Brad May and Aaron Downey managed to fit in, I would not be worried about any Boll, Prust, Konopka type player fitting in. Most players like this are great locker room guys, and they rarely cause problems internally (excluding Carcillo).

Am I speaking a different language, or is your comprehension just poor? Maybe I need to break it down, point by point -

It was apparent that you were talking about this coming off-season. I also knew that Prust isn't availible- if you search, you will see that I was talking about Prust a lot last off-season before he was re-signed by NYR.

Since we are talking about this COMING off-season, Prust and Boll are moot points, as they are both already signed... last years off-season has no relevance to the point I was making, as we are talking about, once again, this COMING off-season - Also, I was not the one assuming that you said someone wasn't valuable, so why should I search for what you said? (I was also in favor of Prust and Boll LAST off-season, but once again, that is not relevant to the topic at hand,as we are talking about the COMING off-season)

The example is not useless because Prust is not a rare player. His 'break-out' year this year isn't ordinary, but his skill set is relatively common. Off the top of my head, Rosehill and Konopka have contracts ending this year. After the playoffs this year, I'm sure there will be a long list compiled by Newfy, Bring Back..., myself, etc of available gritty players. If you search, you will see this was done last summer, multiple times.

Rosehill and Konopka's skillset do not fit the Wings style and are not the same players as Prust or Boll, so you're comparing apples to oranges... Konopka is borderline, but I still think he wouldn't fit here and would end up a healthy scratch more than not, so why waste the roster spot, or give away an asset to get him? Rosehill is an AHL'er. period.

Ritola is essentially out of the NHL and will probably have to retire due to his ear problem, Quincey, his back - The Wings brass are not idiots and generally speaking, if the let a guy just "let walk" for nothing in return... there's probably a reason, and that doesn't seem to be the case with Emmerton, so once again....... apples to oranges - We do not just give assets away. If he's traded, then that just goes right back to my initial point of the Wings making a move... which I said in my first post.

I was referring to Salei about fitting the system - why would they replace him with an outsider, when they already have someone they know works in this team, AT his caphit... makes no sense, it would be a lateral move at best...

Also, Prust and Boll, moot points again.

As I said in my first post, there is no one available in this COMING off season worth losing an asset over up front and for the D, it would only be change, for changes sake...

And once again, just to clarify - this is all under the assumption of no trades and/or the great one retiring...

This roster keeps just Eaves out of him, Draper, Miller, and Modano. It also brings back Lidstrom at 6.2, Ozzie at 600k, and Ericsson at 1.2m. Our signings include a Reasonable Forward at 5.5million, and a Solid Defensman at 1mill. This senario would leave us with 50k in cap space, not ideal. So we would either go cheaper on the forward or sign Draper at league Min and let Eaves go instead.

Of course you could tweak this lots of ways but anyway you put it we should be in a great situation where we have to decide who we keep/letgo to bring in some fresh talent.

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Reasonable Forward ($5.500m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($1.200m)

/ Solid Defensman ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.600m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $63,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,358,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $41,289

Helm will be making more after this season. Eaves is a huge pk'er and has been playing with heart all season, i dont forsee Holland letting him go. As much as miller is trying to prove his icetime currently i see him getting the let go. Draper may retire after this season. Lidstrom will most likely come back after this season but take once again another paycut. Osgood was saying since his surgery he'll see how he does and see how the future lays.

Am I speaking a different language, or is your comprehension just poor? Maybe I need to break it down, point by point -

Since we are talking about this COMING off-season, Prust and Boll are moot points, as they are both already signed... last years off-season has no relevance to the point I was making, as we are talking about, once again, this COMING off-season - Also, I was not the one assuming that you said someone wasn't valuable, so why should I search for what you said? (I was also in favor of Prust and Boll LAST off-season, but once again, that is not relevant to the topic at hand,as we are talking about the COMING off-season)

Rosehill and Konopka's skillset do not fit the Wings style and are not the same players as Prust or Boll, so you're comparing apples to oranges... Konopka is borderline, but I still think he wouldn't fit here and would end up a healthy scratch more than not, so why waste the roster spot, or give away an asset to get him? Rosehill is an AHL'er. period.

Please explain why you were in favor of Boll and Prust, but not Konopka and Rosehill. Prior to this season, Prust's best season was 9 points. On a ppg basis, Rosehill is on pace to at least match that. Also, Konopka already has 9 points, and he has played much of the year with Trevor Gillies. Konopka is also one of the league's best in FO% and a great PK'er. He sounds exactly like somebody the Wings would want on their fourth line. Konopka had great scoring in the AHL, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him with 15-20 points on the Wings. Rosehill isn't as skilled (but not much worse than Boll IMO), but we are talking about someone who would be a 14th forward. He can skate well, hit well, and fight well.

Prust and Boll aren't unique players, and that's why I brought them up. I don't think everyone here has watched 10+ Isles games or 10+ Leafs/Marlies games to judge Rosehill or Konopka, but most on here probably know Prust and Boll.

Ritola is essentially out of the NHL and will probably have to retire due to his ear problem, Quincey, his back - The Wings brass are not idiots and generally speaking, if the let a guy just "let walk" for nothing in return... there's probably a reason, and that doesn't seem to be the case with Emmerton, so once again....... apples to oranges - We do not just give assets away. If he's traded, then that just goes right back to my initial point of the Wings making a move... which I said in my first post.

I don't think Ritola's inner-ear problems were why he was cut from the Wings. He just didn't do enough to beat out Miller, Eaves, Helm, or Abby. Draper's spot was secure. Because of that, I don't see how Emmerton will beat out Miller, Eaves, Helm, or Abby next year. There just isn't room unless the Wings make a move (trade or not re-signing Miller and/or Eaves). If they do make a move, see my suggestion for a gritty player. Here is the link to the article about Ritola being placed on waivers. http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/10/red_wings_place_mattias_ritola.html

I was referring to Salei about fitting the system - why would they replace him with an outsider, when they already have someone they know works in this team, AT his caphit... makes no sense, it would be a lateral move at best...

I never said the Wings shouldn't resign Salei. I suggested they shop a bit, but I am fine with him sticking around. There are always a few good players who fall through the cracks.

Also, Prust and Boll, moot points again.

As I said in my first post, there is no one available in this COMING off season worth losing an asset over up front and for the D, it would only be change, for changes sake...

And once again, just to clarify - this is all under the assumption of no trades and/or the great one retiring...

I don't think the Wings should be content. I'd like to see them shop a bit knowing they don't have to make any moves. IMO this is the best position to be in. I'm not asking for the Wings to overpay for anyone, but I'd take Konopka at <700k any day of the week. I'd also take Rosehill at 500k (league minimum- I'm not sure if it will go up) to be the 14th forward. I won't be devastated if the Wings have essentially the same roster next year, but I think they should make an attempt at a gritty guy.