• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nate94gt

will the wings re-sign modano?

Rate this topic

Please explain why you were in favor of Boll and Prust, but not Konopka and Rosehill. Prior to this season, Prust's best season was 9 points. On a ppg basis, Rosehill is on pace to at least match that. Also, Konopka already has 9 points, and he has played much of the year with Trevor Gillies. Konopka is also one of the league's best in FO% and a great PK'er. He sounds exactly like somebody the Wings would want on their fourth line. Konopka had great scoring in the AHL, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him with 15-20 points on the Wings. Rosehill isn't as skilled (but not much worse than Boll IMO), but we are talking about someone who would be a 14th forward. He can skate well, hit well, and fight well.

Prust and Boll aren't unique players, and that's why I brought them up. I don't think everyone here has watched 10+ Isles games or 10+ Leafs/Marlies games to judge Rosehill or Konopka, but most on here probably know Prust and Boll.

I don't think Ritola's inner-ear problems were why he was cut from the Wings. He just didn't do enough to beat out Miller, Eaves, Helm, or Abby. Draper's spot was secure. Because of that, I don't see how Emmerton will beat out Miller, Eaves, Helm, or Abby next year. There just isn't room unless the Wings make a move (trade or not re-signing Miller and/or Eaves). If they do make a move, see my suggestion for a gritty player. Here is the link to the article about Ritola being placed on waivers. http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/10/red_wings_place_mattias_ritola.html

I never said the Wings shouldn't resign Salei. I suggested they shop a bit, but I am fine with him sticking around. There are always a few good players who fall through the cracks.

I don't think the Wings should be content. I'd like to see them shop a bit knowing they don't have to make any moves. IMO this is the best position to be in. I'm not asking for the Wings to overpay for anyone, but I'd take Konopka at <700k any day of the week. I'd also take Rosehill at 500k (league minimum- I'm not sure if it will go up) to be the 14th forward. I won't be devastated if the Wings have essentially the same roster next year, but I think they should make an attempt at a gritty guy.

Then please do not dismiss the guts of my original post, I wasn't saying it was a horrible idea and should never happen, and I wouldn't be opposed to Konopka IF a move was made which changed the roster and allowed us to bring in an outside player without giving up assets(Rosehill I wouldn't want regardless and I think would be a waste of a roster spot and is a fringe NHL'er at best) - The main point of my original post was that barring a trade, I don't think just letting assets (young assets at that) walk to sign a spare part/4th liner is a good idea in any scenario...

As for their value, I'd actually go Boll>Prust>Konopka - The reason I think Prust and Boll are more valuable assets than Konopka (I don't even think Rosehill is in the same category) is their age, potential and foot speed of both of them, along with the fact that neither have been known to make REAL boneheaded plays in their career, where Konopka is known to take bad penalties at bad times (he's been better this year, but that is why TB let him walk)

For the record, I've seen a VERY good deal of both Konopka and Rosehill...

Source?

cant find the source (didnt look hard, either) but it was during an interview when he was talking about coming back in a few weeks. he said he wanted to get the full wings experience. something to that effect.

i gotta believe if Mikes wants back he will be offered a contract. he is starting to get his skates going very quick right now and the goals will start coming on a regular pass.

Then please do not dismiss the guts of my original post, I wasn't saying it was a horrible idea and should never happen, and I wouldn't be opposed to Konopka IF a move was made which changed the roster and allowed us to bring in an outside player without giving up assets(Rosehill I wouldn't want regardless and I think would be a waste of a roster spot and is a fringe NHL'er at best) - The main point of my original post was that barring a trade, I don't think just letting assets (young assets at that) walk to sign a spare part/4th liner is a good idea in any scenario...

As for their value, I'd actually go Boll>Prust>Konopka - The reason I think Prust and Boll are more valuable assets than Konopka (I don't even think Rosehill is in the same category) is their age, potential and foot speed of both of them, along with the fact that neither have been known to make REAL boneheaded plays in their career, where Konopka is known to take bad penalties at bad times (he's been better this year, but that is why TB let him walk)

For the record, I've seen a VERY good deal of both Konopka and Rosehill...

I see more where you are coming from now. To me, until Emmerton makes the NHL (full-time) he isn't an important asset right now, but I can see why you value him. I said it about Ritola and I'll say it about Emmerton- I don't think he has a future with the Wings, but I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong if he earns it.

I really like Boll too- he brings it every night. Konopka hasn't looked at 'stupid' this year, but he's also playing with a tougher team (probably doesn't feel like he always has to retaliate). I mention Rosehill because you aren't going to see Boll, Konopka, or Prust type players accepting a 14th forward spot. Usually these spots are relegated to lesser-skilled enforcers, and I don't see the Wings wanting a prospect sitting in the press-box 30+ games a year. Of the fighters willing to take a 14th forward spot, Rosehill is probably the most skilled. Haley has also impressed me in his time up with the Isles, but I'm not sold on his skating. Also, I think Callahan will need a mentor when he enters the NHL in a few years. While this is further away, I think it is important.

I think I can please us both (with a lot of ifs). If Drapes and Modano retire, and Miller isn't re-signed we have (lines not important).

ZDH

Franzen-Flip-Bert

Cleary-Abby-Huds

Eaves-Helm-Mursak

Emmerton/Rosehill

If Drapes and/or Modano doesn't retire and Miller is re-signed, we might both be unhappy (loose Emmerton and don't get a gritty guy).

I see more where you are coming from now. To me, until Emmerton makes the NHL (full-time) he isn't an important asset right now, but I can see why you value him. I said it about Ritola and I'll say it about Emmerton- I don't think he has a future with the Wings, but I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong if he earns it.

I really like Boll too- he brings it every night. Konopka hasn't looked at 'stupid' this year, but he's also playing with a tougher team (probably doesn't feel like he always has to retaliate). I mention Rosehill because you aren't going to see Boll, Konopka, or Prust type players accepting a 14th forward spot. Usually these spots are relegated to lesser-skilled enforcers, and I don't see the Wings wanting a prospect sitting in the press-box 30+ games a year. Of the fighters willing to take a 14th forward spot, Rosehill is probably the most skilled. Haley has also impressed me in his time up with the Isles, but I'm not sold on his skating. Also, I think Callahan will need a mentor when he enters the NHL in a few years. While this is further away, I think it is important.

I think I can please us both (with a lot of ifs). If Drapes and Modano retire, and Miller isn't re-signed we have (lines not important).

ZDH

Franzen-Flip-Bert

Cleary-Abby-Huds

Eaves-Helm-Mursak

Emmerton/Rosehill

If Drapes and/or Modano doesn't retire and Miller is re-signed, we might both be unhappy (loose Emmerton and don't get a gritty guy).

That's part of the problem, there are just too many variables to really look at free agents for next year at this time and even with retirements, there'd have to be a trade, or a player let go to waivers/FA to even then consider it... with that said, I still think Drapes has some left in the tank and if he's willing to come back at 1m or less, his value can't be quantified in pure numbers...

back to the topic, as for Mo, I think the playoffs will determine his future here, from his perspective and from the Wings brass...

That's part of the problem, there are just too many variables to really look at free agents for next year at this time and even with retirements, there'd have to be a trade, or a player let go to waivers/FA to even then consider it... with that said, I still think Drapes has some left in the tank and if he's willing to come back at 1m or less, his value can't be quantified in pure numbers...

back to the topic, as for Mo, I think the playoffs will determine his future here, from his perspective and from the Wings brass...

Agree. We're about three months early with our discussion.

We can't judge Modano until the playoffs are over. Thus far, he has been streaky (if you can call it that). If he can keep playing well through the playoffs, he will likely return. However, if he slows down (since he hasn't been back from injury for a while) it may be time for him to hang them up.

Agree. We're about three months early with our discussion.

We can't judge Modano until the playoffs are over. Thus far, he has been streaky (if you can call it that). If he can keep playing well through the playoffs, he will likely return. However, if he slows down (since he hasn't been back from injury for a while) it may be time for him to hang them up.

It can't be called streaky. That implies he's been worthwhile for extended periods.

Since when did $5.5m become a 'reasonable forward'??

This is not Toronto or The Rangers!

:)

I just meant not paying 6-8 million I am thinking a 70-80pt player just didn't feel like filling in a name. If we spend less great.

Helm will be making more after this season. Eaves is a huge pk'er and has been playing with heart all season, i dont forsee Holland letting him go. As much as miller is trying to prove his icetime currently i see him getting the let go. Draper may retire after this season. Lidstrom will most likely come back after this season but take once again another paycut. Osgood was saying since his surgery he'll see how he does and see how the future lays.

The whole point to this was we have the cap space to bring in some real talent on either D or at Forward. We can bring in up to 4-6million in free agents depending on how we want to spend it.

EDIT: Helm is signed through next year so unless you think he is going to renegotiate his contract that's what he will make.

Edited by Booster313

He was on an 82 point pace at one point, though. ;)

If you figure that a first line forward takes 20 shifts per game, then you could argue that at various points this season he has been on pace for nearly 250 points if he were given first line time.