• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

No way Nashville lets him get away and we won't have the cap space as Lids is looking very likely to be back...

I know but, man, how awesome would this be living in an NHL 11 world? :lol:

Truly, I hope what BruiseBros presented can happen as the grit/tough guy is necessary as much as that debate goes on for many hours and months and all that. It's just an all too familiar thing we seem to want but never address. I just don't want to get my hopes up on any of them guys and also want to realize as they can all skate well and are talented, I just don't see their use. A Lombardi type player is something I'd love to see on our squad as well.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#42 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

I know but, man, how awesome would this be living in an NHL 11 world? :lol:

Truly, I hope what BruiseBros presented can happen as the grit/tough guy is necessary as much as that debate goes on for many hours and months and all that. It's just an all too familiar thing we seem to want but never address. I just don't want to get my hopes up on any of them guys and also want to realize as they can all skate well and are talented, I just don't see their use. A Lombardi type player is something I'd love to see on our squad as well.

Agreed... he would make any team markedly better and I'd welcome him with open arms and in a dream world, it's fun to think about for sure!

I really wanted Malhotra this past off-season, Lombardi wouldn't have been bad either... with that said, I think we have plenty of depth in the system and I don't really see any need to go outside of the organization this off-season to fill any holes, except backup goalie (I don't think Ozzie will, or should, come back for another year - he has been a warrior and a great goalie and this is not saying he couldn't possibly still play, I just think his body is breaking down)... the only way I see us needing to go outside of the organization is if the brass feels we need a shake-up via trade or the unthinkable happens (it has to do with retirement and someone whose name I can't actually bring myself to type in the same sentence as the "r" word)

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#43 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

Agreed... he would make any team markedly better and I'd welcome him with open arms and in a dream world, it's fun to think about for sure!

I really wanted Malhotra this past off-season, Lombardi wouldn't have been bad either... with that said, I think we have plenty of depth in the system and I don't really see any need to go outside of the organization this off-season to fill any holes, except backup goalie (I don't think Ozzie will, or should, come back for another year - he has been a warrior and a great goalie and this is not saying he couldn't possibly still play, I just think his body is breaking down)... the only way I see us needing to go outside of the organization is if the brass feels we need a shake-up via trade or the unthinkable happens (it has to do with retirement and someone whose name I can't actually bring myself to type in the same sentence as the "r" word)

I'd like to see the Wings go outside of the organization for grit, and possibly a new 7th d-man if Smith is not ready for the NHL. Tardif could fill the grit aspect, but I am not sure if he is up to/wants to be that type of player for the Wings. I'd like to see someone be the 13th forward that can fight (and play).

#44 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

Most recent article, Modano doesn't sound too optimistic about coming back. "Nothing meaningful has happened to me here."
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#45 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

Most recent article, Modano doesn't sound too optimistic about coming back. "Nothing meaningful has happened to me here."

I've always loved Modano's game but he has really come off as a Negative Nancy the past few years. Maybe not the type of guy you want in the locker room.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#46 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

I've always loved Modano's game but he has really come off as a Negative Nancy the past few years. Maybe not the type of guy you want in the locker room.

It's Willa's fault.

#47 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

I'd like to see the Wings go outside of the organization for grit, and possibly a new 7th d-man if Smith is not ready for the NHL. Tardif could fill the grit aspect, but I am not sure if he is up to/wants to be that type of player for the Wings. I'd like to see someone be the 13th forward that can fight (and play).

There's no one available that's worth losing our current assets, remember that both Mursak and Emmerton are out of options for next year, so like I said, unless there is a trade, I don't see anyone worth making that move... also, Janik will most likely be our 7th dman next year if Ericsson is not re-signed and if he is, then our D probably stands pat for next year... I'd even just as soon bring Salei back, over wasting money on an outside guy...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#48 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:07 PM

article

If you read that, I feel like that statement makes it seem worse than what he was really trying to say there. The entire article makes me seem like he wants to do something here and wants to help us get to a level that we all know we can get to. Last night was a big step in the right direction for him.

#49 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

It really bothers me the way some of you talk about Modano.

I thought this forum had enough class to show a little respect to a future hall-of-famer....I mean the guy had an amazing career and was/is an inspiration to US born hockey players of this generation.

The guy got mistreated in Dallas (IMO), and he came to his hometown to give hockey another try. He got injured right when he was starting to flow with his linemates and fit into the wings way of doing things, plus he's had a bunch of good chances, just bad luck...so its understandable that he is pretty much back to step one.

What did you expect a 20+ goal season? I think having him for the price he's at is a steal.

on another note: I really wish Babcock would stop playing Moe with Homer...besides the Pens game last night they really havent clicked IMO.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#50 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

when was this? I apparently missed that one.

nm, i see hank posted it

Edited by nate94gt, 22 March 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#51 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

It was a tough break with the wrist injury, but it looks like a bust signing so far. Obviously there's no need to make a decision right now, but judging by his body of work so far I can't imagine he'd be re-signed.

Agreed.

Would rather see Holland explore what's out there come July 1st.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#52 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

I thought this forum had enough class to show a little respect to a future hall-of-famer....I mean the guy had an amazing career and was/is an inspiration to US born hockey players of this generation.

The guy got mistreated in Dallas (IMO), and he came to his hometown to give hockey another try. He got injured right when he was starting to flow with his linemates and fit into the wings way of doing things, plus he's had a bunch of good chances, just bad luck...so its understandable that he is pretty much back to step one.

What did you expect a 20+ goal season? I think having him for the price he's at is a steal.

on another note: I really wish Babcock would stop playing Moe with Homer...besides the Pens game last night they really havent clicked IMO.

I agree completely, you stole the words out of my mouth. Like it was said earlier, it took TWENTY games before he was showing to be clicking with the movement and style the Red Wings play. Some may say that 20 is a huge number, what about Hudler? He took longer... and secondly, the guy didn't care about Dallas for the past 3 years he was there. When he was stripped of his C he was just playing hockey on his own terms in Dallas; he announced this. When he came to Detroit he actually conditioned himself, wanted to play, wanted to help the team out. I swear when he got injured in November everyone was sitting here making threads "OH MY GOD MODANO INJURED HE WAS JUST CLICKING!!" now because he isn't Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin we want to put him to the dogs? Come on fellas... you're all crazy right now.

EDIT: In regards to that quote, you may want to add in some additional information like this quote...

“When you feel the end is near and you’re trying to squeeze ever last drop out of you before it’s over; certainly here there are a lot of expectations to win and be successful,” he said. “The opportunity is there, so you want to come in and contribute a little bit and feel like you’re a meaningful piece to this team.”

You hate him for even admitting that he wants to do more for this team? He's try to find his confidence just like Hudler earlier in the season, he WANTS us to feel like hes acting helping out big time.

Edited by evilzyme, 22 March 2011 - 05:31 PM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#53 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

There's no one available that's worth losing our current assets, remember that both Mursak and Emmerton are out of options for next year, so like I said, unless there is a trade, I don't see anyone worth making that move... also, Janik will most likely be our 7th dman next year if Ericsson is not re-signed and if he is, then our D probably stands pat for next year... I'd even just as soon bring Salei back, over wasting money on an outside guy...

No one available? Did you make the same statement last year when Prust was available? IMO Prust fills more of what the Wings' need than Emmerton. There are many similar players available this off-season too. Right now, the Wings have an excess of skilled 4th liners and a deficiency of gritty 4th liners. It's not that I don't like Emmerton, but we also have Miller, Eaves, Abby, Helm, Draper, and Mursak. One of these players will likely be on the third line while the others will fight for fourth line spots. According to capgeek, Emmerton isn't signed for next year. http://www.capgeek.c...lay.php?id=1207

I'd like the Wings to shop the UFA D market, but I am fine with Janik or Salei on the back-end. How is not resigning Salei and bringing someone else in wasting money? That makes no sense.

#54 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

Saying that you don't want to resign a player is not disrespect, it is an opinion. I don't think anyone in this thread is trying to discredit anything Modano has done during his career. He is one of the greatest American born players ever.

People probably expected at least 10 goals from Modano since he has been on the third line. To date, he isn't on pace to score 10 goals if his stats are altered to reflect an 82 game season. Therefore, the posters suggesting Modano shouldn't be resigned have evidence to back-up that he isn't producing. He will be 41 next season, so I don't think it's realistic to expect an improvement in his conditioning, skating, etc.

I love Modano as much as anyone, but sometimes you have to hang them up. Like Chelios, he could be a great mentor on another team, but IMO his main attribute is his experience and the Wings are stacked when it comes to experience.

#55 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

No one available? Did you make the same statement last year when Prust was available? IMO Prust fills more of what the Wings' need than Emmerton. There are many similar players available this off-season too. Right now, the Wings have an excess of skilled 4th liners and a deficiency of gritty 4th liners. It's not that I don't like Emmerton, but we also have Miller, Eaves, Abby, Helm, Draper, and Mursak. One of these players will likely be on the third line while the others will fight for fourth line spots. According to capgeek, Emmerton isn't signed for next year. http://www.capgeek.c...lay.php?id=1207

I'd like the Wings to shop the UFA D market, but I am fine with Janik or Salei on the back-end. How is not resigning Salei and bringing someone else in wasting money? That makes no sense.

The problem is this, Salei is already this focused on his new child. I'm already seeing him retire after this season, he wants to be more family oriented. For how much he has spent time with his wife in California and has been granted all this time off for their birth (which is very nice) but obviously he wants to finish his contract but hes not trying to miss time with his family.

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#56 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

being a bit over dramatic arent you? all i have seen in this thread is an analysis of the wings bottom 6 depth for next year. heck, most of the posts aren't even about modano as they are more talking about who would fill the bottom 6 best. and for the posts that are about modano, all of them i read are just objectively talking about his play and stats this year. no one is dissing his family or him, and i think the very worst comments are people saying he floated at times this year. if that is all it takes for you to feel someone is being mistreated, you might not have thick enough skin to be on internet message boards. they are the epitome of hyperbole and despite wishes otherwise, LGW is unfortunately no different.

also, while i didn't expect a 20 goal season, he has been a disappointment. he has almost 3 minutes a game on the PP, and has only 7 PP points IIRC. he is the 2nd worst minus player despite playing only 32 games. he has under a .5 PPG. out of the 8 wings players with over 100 faceoffs, he is the only one below 50%. need i go on???? and let me reiterate, i am sure mike modano is a cool dude. and he certainly was a great hockey player for decades. but if we look at his play this year, its been disappointing regardless of how much i love or respect him.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#57 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

Modano has 5 points in his last 9 games, after recovering from a serious injury. Cut the guy some slack maybe? I'm guessing if he wants to come back next season, Holland will give it serious consideration.

#58 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

The problem is this, Salei is already this focused on his new child. I'm already seeing him retire after this season, he wants to be more family oriented. For how much he has spent time with his wife in California and has been granted all this time off for their birth (which is very nice) but obviously he wants to finish his contract but hes not trying to miss time with his family.

Losing Salei is not a huge deal IMO. I'd be very happy if he hung them up on good terms to be with his family. However, a player of his caliber should be relatively easy to find. If the Wings are still trying to develop E, I would be fine with Janik being the 7th defensemen. Otherwise, signing a solid 6th/7th dman should be easy. Exelby is just one player to comes to mind.

Edited by WorkingOvertime, 22 March 2011 - 06:30 PM.

#59 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

Losing Salei is not a huge deal IMO. I'd be very happy if he hung them up on good terms to be with his family. However, a player of his caliber should be relatively easy to find. If the Wings are still trying to develop E, I would be fine with Janik being the 7th defensemen. Otherwise, signing a solid 6th/7th dman should be easy. Exelby is just one player to comes to mind.

I completely agree, Salei is playing great this season though and we are in desperate need of solid defensive defensemen.

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#60 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

also, while i didn't expect a 20 goal season, he has been a disappointment. he has almost 3 minutes a game on the PP, and has only 7 PP points IIRC. he is the 2nd worst minus player despite playing only 32 games. he has under a .5 PPG. out of the 8 wings players with over 100 faceoffs, he is the only one below 50%. need i go on???? and let me reiterate, i am sure mike modano is a cool dude. and he certainly was a great hockey player for decades. but if we look at his play this year, its been disappointing regardless of how much i love or respect him.

He has 6 points in 12 games since he's been back. 7 in the 11 before he got hurt. He had a poor first 9 games and a major injury. Calling him a disappointment is a bit harsh. Suggests some unreasonable expectations.

That said, we have 11 forwards already signed (counting Mursak), and Eaves should be a priority. Between Miller, Draper, Emmerton, Tatar and other potential UFAs on the market I wouldn't give priority to Mo.

We just need to win the Cup so Mo, Draper, and Ozzie can all go out in style, and we free up some spots to reload.