• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

Oddly enough, I think Cooke got too much. 6-10 games would have been sufficient, maybe add a 1 game suspension to the HC for effect. The current outcome seems a little too much knee jerk reaction to Mario's griping. What if Cooke's victim got severely injured... we'd probably be looking at a lifetime ban by this scale.

So if a star player (w/precedent) like Heatley throws an elbow, should he face a similar penalty? The league is painting itself into a corner with this one.

#22 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

Do they want to get rid of hits like this, or not? If they do, they need to impose harsh penalties. The second you see a Heatley suspended for 15 games, alot of players will take a look at their games and realize they need to change.

That's the issue currently. The wheel of justice is so arbitrary, the Down Goes Brown flowchart is pretty much accurate. It's like parenting. If you make a threat, and don't follow through, or the punishment changes in severity for the same thing, the kids stop paying attention.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#23 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

Buccigross posted a 'Vlogumn' video blog on ESPN.com in which the first sentence out of his mouth was, 'I don't know if Matt Cooke is the dirtiest player in the NHL'. :blink:

Have I completely imagined the knowledge that Bucci had when it came to hockey?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#24 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

In my own personal opinion, the suspension wasn't nearly long enough. He has too long a history of s*** like this, and you could reasonably deduce from the fact he's had as many incidents like this as he has, that he doesn't really give a damn if he severely injures someone or not. I mean, if for example you know that walking backward without looking where you're going will knock someone down and hurt them, and after several incidents where you do just that, you continue to do it anyway.....any reasonably sane person would look at you say, "You don't care if you hurt someone, do you?" Same thing applies here, really. He knows head shots are dangerous and can not only end someone's career, it could cause serious physical harm......but he keeps doing it anyway. Either he thinks he's invincible, or he's too mentally unstable to be playing hockey.

Hockey is already a very physical, aggressive sport. Why make it that much more dangerous for other players by letting this idiot out on the ice? Why let someone continue to put themselves in the position to deliberately do things they know are not only against the rules of the sport, but beyond the level of physicality required to even play the sport in the first place.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#25 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

so what I conclude from what's being said:

1. with no priors you get one free shot.
2. if you are on the ice against a player with priors its okay (perhaps even preferable) to skate with head down.

#26 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:01 AM

so what I conclude from what's being said:

1. with no priors you get one free shot.
2. if you are on the ice against a player with priors its okay (perhaps even preferable) to skate with head down.

Don't forget:

3. if a player's skating with their head down it's okay (in fact, it's preferable) to stick out your elbow as a punishment.

Free Matt Cooke!

#27 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

I believe his apology about as much as I believe in politicians, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny.
Posted Image

#28 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:08 AM

I believe his apology about as much as I believe in politicians, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny.

I still get my Christmas presents from Santa.

#29 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

The suspension was extreme, but the fact that he's the definition of a repeat offender did him over. Good to see his ass out for a while.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#30 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

Oddly enough, I think Cooke got too much. 6-10 games would have been sufficient, maybe add a 1 game suspension to the HC for effect. The current outcome seems a little too much knee jerk reaction to Mario's griping. What if Cooke's victim got severely injured... we'd probably be looking at a lifetime ban by this scale.

So if a star player (w/precedent) like Heatley throws an elbow, should he face a similar penalty? The league is painting itself into a corner with this one.

Yes. When you're talking about the safety of players, it doesn't matter if the offender is a star or not. But you do take track record into consideration. A suspension for a first time offender is obviously going to be lighter. But Cooke is a proven dangerous commodity and honestly expulsion from the league wouldn't be overkill.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#31 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

Brief look at some suspensions: downgoesbrown

August, 2004 An unprecedented lifetime ban is imposed on whichever Ottawa Senator scout is in charge of watching goaltenders, presumably.

Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.