• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

Well deserved. Although strange to hear him calling a game that isn't the Wings.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#42 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

as much as I love Kenny, be forewarned, this is how our beloved Dave Strader left us. A couple of guest shots on some ESPN games, he even called some college basketball games for ESPN before he got his contract. Can't blame him for taking the money and wanting to further his career. Maybe if Daniels follows, we can rescue Strader out of the dessert... We don't need another Mike Goldberg (even though he seemed to find his niche' in Ultimate Fighting) he just didn't seem to gel with Mickey. God knows Murphy aint ready for play by play, he's a sub sub par color guy....

I hope Kenny stays, and just makes some spot appearances, but you can't blame him if he wants to expand his career...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#43 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

as much as I love Kenny, be forewarned, this is how our beloved Dave Strader left us. A couple of guest shots on some ESPN games, he even called some college basketball games for ESPN before he got his contract. Can't blame him for taking the money and wanting to further his career. Maybe if Daniels follows, we can rescue Strader out of the dessert... We don't need another Mike Goldberg (even though he seemed to find his niche' in Ultimate Fighting) he just didn't seem to gel with Mickey. God knows Murphy aint ready for play by play, he's a sub sub par color guy....

I hope Kenny stays, and just makes some spot appearances, but you can't blame him if he wants to expand his career...

Is that why they did ask Goldberg to return? Didn't work well enough with Mick?

Also, I'm not so sure about Ken Daniels leaving because he's done the national thing with his experience in CBC. I think he's happy in Detroit. Or at least I hope he is.

#44 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

Is that why they did ask Goldberg to return? Didn't work well enough with Mick?

Also, I'm not so sure about Ken Daniels leaving because he's done the national thing with his experience in CBC. I think he's happy in Detroit. Or at least I hope he is.

I didn't mean it like him and Mickey didn't get along or didn't work good together, I meant it just never sounded or felt good for most fans. Sure, they were used to Strader and were a little weirded out by the new guy's voice instead of Stader, but the comfort zone just never got there for most fans. When Daniels took over, it didn't seem like that uncomfortable feeling was there. Daniels almost sounded like he has been doing Red Wings hockey for awhile. Maybe it was because of his CBC broadcasts and we were a bit familiar with his voice, rather than someone new like Goldberg. Anyhow, I too hope Kenny stays forever...

sidenote: To this day, nothing says Tiger Baseball like Ernie & Paul and George & Al, even though they cant stay forever, some die and some just retire, but the guys on the radio and TV now, just don't do it for me. I cannot even stand watching or listening to the Tigers because of it. Maybe after these guys retire, the next guys will sound more like baseball. But, for me, right now, these current announcers (tv and radio) don't sound like baseball...

...remember when there was no more Bruce Martyn and we had to get used to the new guy? Fortunately he was good, but he still isn't Bruce Martyn...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#45 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

Ken Daniels is calling tonight's game on VS, Chicago at Boston. interestingly, Andy Brickley, the usual color guy for the Bruins, will be doing color tonight. guess no more slurp fest by Edzo on his boys

#46 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

Thank god I've had all I can take of him sucking Toews dick
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#47 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

Is Brickley the guy that's actually somewhat tolerable on the Bruins' telecast?

Posted Image

#48 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

Is Brickley the guy that's actually somewhat tolerable on the Bruins' telecast?

The color guy? Yeah. He is actually pretty good.

Posted Image

#49 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

Watched the highlights of the game on nhl.com and I have to say a couple things.

1) Good to see Kenny doing some games on Versus.

2) I can see why people don't like him. He's got an over-dramatic emphasis at times and I could tell I wasn't as on-edge as I would be for a scoring chance because it wasn't during a game in which the Red Wings were playing. I'm going to have to pay attention during tomorrow's game to see if it's the same or if the on-edge feeling kind of blocks out his quirks that other teams' fans might disapprove of.

3) I really hope that this means he's going to be doing some games in the playoffs. I'd love to see him during some games over Doc and Joe Beninati any day of the week. A few of the VS. play-by-play announcers this year were pretty good though; whoever did our game on Hockey Day in America Sunday against Minnesota, to name one.

Either way, go Kenny. :thumbup:

Posted Image

#50 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

If you think Ken Daniels can be overdramatic then what do you think about Gary Thorne?

#51 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

If me and some friends are drinking and have the game on, we know to pay attention when we hear "look out here!" or "two on one!". I love Ken, he does a great job.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#52 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

If you think Ken Daniels can be overdramatic then what do you think about Gary Thorne?

I guess overdramatic wasn't the best word choice. Either way, as I said, I kind of get why people don't like him, but f*** 'em. KD is the man.

Posted Image

#53 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

i just hope he doesn't go all dave strader on us.
Posted Image

#54 wingsdiehard13

wingsdiehard13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

3) A few of the VS. play-by-play announcers this year were pretty good though; whoever did our game on Hockey Day in America Sunday against Minnesota, to name one.

That was Pat Foley, Blackhawks guy. I thought he was terrible.

**Thanks Offsides**
**Thanks TeeMan**

#55 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

Pat Foley is pretty decent, imo. He's got a good sports voice at least.

#56 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

Pat Foley is pretty decent, imo. He's got a good sports voice at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_YK9wVK6IQ
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#57 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

I don't get it. Maybe if I were American I would but I'm not.

#58 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

CLOSE!!!!! his name is MATT Foley! :lol:

#59 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

CLOSE!!!!! his name is MATT Foley! :lol:

Posted Image +1 Posted Image I know but was waiting to see if someone would catch it.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.