• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

3/23 GDT: Canucks 2 at Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

Hopefully Howard can bounce back tonight but I think it was REALLY stupid on the Wings part to send MacDonald back down. Hope they can pull of a win tonight but will be hard with Bertuzzi out now as well.

I have always thought the P trophy was a curse too so I did some digging and found this Great article analyzing Presidents Trophy winners and playoff performance and it suggests that finishing 1st overall in the regular season isn't quite the playoff curse we all tend to believe. I think the reality is just that we all tend to remember train wrecks by top teams than we do their deep runs.

Lost in first round: FIVE (25 percent) -- 1991 Chicago Blackhawks, 2000 St. Louis Blues, 2004 Detroit Red wings, 2009 San Jose Sharks, 2010 Washington Capitals

Lost in second round: THREE (15 percent) 1992 New York Rangers, 1993 Pittsburgh Penguins, 2006 Detroit Red Wings

Lost in third round: FIVE (25 percent) 1996 Detroit Red Wings, 1997 Colorado Avalanche, 1998 Dallas Stars, 2003 Ottawa Senators, 2007 Buffalo Sabres

Lost in Stanley Cup Final: TWO (10 percent) 1990 Boston Bruins, 1995 Detroit Red Wings

Won Stanley Cup: FIVE (25 percent) 1994 New York Rangers, 1999 Dallas Stars, 2001 Colorado Avalanche, 2002 Detroit Red Wings, 2008 Detroit Red Wings

lol, the wings teams have been listed in every single one of those statistics :lol:

per mlive

Fear not.

Yeah, I saw the other thread about Ozzie after I posted that. Good to know Joey is still in there, I hope he can get another start or two before the playoffs. I want to see if he can continue playing the way he has, I mean 3-1 with a shutout in his last five games and a save percentage of 94%.

Edited by MGreenberg

Ryan Kesler and Darren Helm put on an amazing show of speed and grit, each bagging a goal. Detroit gets lucky during OT 3-2 Wings.

I'll second that, 3-2 OT win for Wings. Canucks love losing in OT to Detroit this year for whatever reason.

I have always thought the P trophy was a curse too so I did some digging and found this Great article analyzing Presidents Trophy winners and playoff performance and it suggests that finishing 1st overall in the regular season isn't quite the playoff curse we all tend to believe. I think the reality is just that we all tend to remember train wrecks by top teams than we do their deep runs.

Lost in first round: FIVE (25 percent) -- 1991 Chicago Blackhawks, 2000 St. Louis Blues, 2004 Detroit Red wings, 2009 San Jose Sharks, 2010 Washington Capitals

Lost in second round: THREE (15 percent) 1992 New York Rangers, 1993 Pittsburgh Penguins, 2006 Detroit Red Wings

Lost in third round: FIVE (25 percent) 1996 Detroit Red Wings, 1997 Colorado Avalanche, 1998 Dallas Stars, 2003 Ottawa Senators, 2007 Buffalo Sabres

Lost in Stanley Cup Final: TWO (10 percent) 1990 Boston Bruins, 1995 Detroit Red Wings

Won Stanley Cup: FIVE (25 percent) 1994 New York Rangers, 1999 Dallas Stars, 2001 Colorado Avalanche, 2002 Detroit Red Wings, 2008 Detroit Red Wings

Correct me if I am wrong....

75% of the P trophy winners did NOT win the Stanley Cup... seems like a curse to me.

Here you go, ruining our fun with these facts and statistics...

Still doesn't really dispel the myth. Of the years sampled, only 25% of Presidents Trophy winners won the cup. That's still pretty low.

This is wrong. The Wings lost in the first round in 2006, not the second.

Here you go, ruining our fun with these facts and statistics...

Still doesn't really dispel the myth. Of the years sampled, only 25% of Presidents Trophy winners won the cup. That's still pretty low.

Of course every playoff bound team wants to win the cup but in the immortal words of Christopher Lambert... "There can be only one". I don't think most fans around the league consider a deep playoff run to be a complete disappointment, which is mostly reserved for 1st or 2nd round departures.

I want a cup and therefor Detroit cant have one however, neither of us are going to crucify our teams as chokers for losing in the conference final, well perhaps some but not many.

So is Hudler in for sure tonight or game time decision?

They will see how he feels after the warm-up. Hopefully he can give it a go and boost a bit to the PP.

Addition: See below post! hehe.gif Way to tough it out happy.

Edited by HankthaTank

freep.com reports, Hudler is in! :thumbup:

http://www.freep.com/article/20110323/SPORTS05/110323018/1053/Osgood-back-IR-MacDonald-will-Red-Wings-backup

...Jiri Hudler is in tonight, though, as he decided he could deal with the soreness in his neck and left shoulder, dating to a hit last Wednesday.

“I feel good,” Hudler said. “It’s still sore and stiff, but I want to play. It’s no fun for me, treatments. We just have to make it loose a little bit. I want to play.”

Hudler’s availability gives the Wings 12 healthy forwards....

Should be a good game tonight. Both teams are dealing with a number of quality injured players -- and for the Canucks Kevin Bieksa is in his first game back after about 6 weeks so he will be a little rusty. The chatter on Vancouver sports radio today is that this could be the last truly meaningful game of the regular season for the Canucks. If they can beat Detroit tonight it's pretty much coasting from here on out.

With the Canucks not having played in nearly a week, I expect they will be a little out-of-synch to begin with and the Wings will really take it to them in the first period and get an early lead. If the Canucks can start the second period only one or two goals down they should be able to make a game of it.

Another thing they talked about on Vancouver radio today was the hot topic of the day; dirty hits, head injuries and suspensions. They said that you just never hear about Detroit talked about in that context. Obviously, that was flattering towareds the Red Wings. The media in Vancouver has a great deal of respect for Ken Holland and your team.

Edited by Chairman Maouth

If finishing 1st in the league gives us a 25% chance of winning the cup give us the President's Trophy please... 1 in 4 chance is pretty damn good considering the playoffs by nature give everyone who qualifies a 1 in 16 chance.