• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

Osgood on LTIR

Rate this topic

Detroit Red Wings goaltender Chris Osgood has suffered another setback in his attempt to return from sports hernia surgery on Jan. 11, as the club today placed him on long-term injured reserve, retroactive to last week.

Joey MacDonald has been recalled from the Grand Rapids Griffins and will dress as Jimmy Howard's backup tonight against the Vancouver Canucks.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/03/red_wings_chris_osgood_on_long.html

if he cant get in a game before the playoffs id rather have j-mac be the backup...

I see your logic there but we all know Ozzie normally stands on his head during the playoffs. So I'm not sure but J-Mac has been pretty decent lately. Idk this whole situation is not only confusing but aggravating to everyone involved.

Siiigh. I too feel as though the situation has always been worse than was reported. Even though this is listed as a 'setback', it puts us in a tough spot. Had we known about this prior to the trade deadline, I imagine we'd have a different back up now. I am not comfortable with the idea of Joey Mac as the back-up in the playoffs.

sometimes when you bust scar tissue you end up having to go for another surgery....just sayin....

Osgood isn’t eligible to come off long-term IR until the final two games of the regular season, April 8-10 vs. Chicago.

“We’re back to square one with him,’’ Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “Everybody’s frustrated. When we took him off LTI 10 days ago, the player, the doctor and the trainers all signed off on it. He felt good. The first day he had a full practice he felt sore but though he was going to push through it. I think he felt the pressure to come back with the playoffs looming. It’s obvious he’s not anywhere close to playing.’‘

Holland said Osgood will take a few days off and then hopefully start practicing again.

“It’s been apparent he needs 7 to 10 days of full practices to convince himself he’s healthy and to get his level of performance up to the point where he feels he can be effective at NHL game level. I know Chris is very frustrated, disappointed. He wanted to get back and play some games.’‘ VIA KK

If not then I say dress the kid. Will he play? I hope not, but I would rather him ride the lumber and keep Mursak up.

well my thinking is that cuz now that ozzie is on the LTIR, his salary comes off the books for now, and then we have room for mursak and macdonald. i could be wrong though..

I say let Joey be our #2 in the playoffs this kid has earned it! I have seen him get bounced around the league and show promise with horrible teams but knowbody ever gives him a full nhl contract! Ozzie has had his time to shine give this kid Joey Mac a shot! Used to watch him make ridiculous saves for the Islanders last year and he has been solid for us lately even outplaying Howard!