• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Detroit signs Nyquist

Rate this topic

Quick question, as for AHL players, do they have a chance of continuing their schooling or did Nyquist end up throwing away his senior years for his dream? I understand the salary of the AHL is ~38,000 and thats fine and dandy but I also feel bad that the guy is on his senior year of college and is now chasing the dream of a professional hockey player instead of finishing school. He sounds like hes got his head on his shoulders and can be a great assist to the team, I hope the best for him for his tryout and season with the GRG!

Quick question, as for AHL players, do they have a chance of continuing their schooling or did Nyquist end up throwing away his senior years for his dream? I understand the salary of the AHL is ~38,000 and thats fine and dandy but I also feel bad that the guy is on his senior year of college and is now chasing the dream of a professional hockey player instead of finishing school. He sounds like hes got his head on his shoulders and can be a great assist to the team, I hope the best for him for his tryout and season with the GRG!

He is now a pro and won't be able to finish his senior season. Having said that, school will always be there - getting a chance at professional hockey might not.

So incredibly pumped with this news! Probably my third fav prospect behind Mursak and Pulu.

He's an underrated prospect is Gus, will at the very least be a third line winger, but probably a second. Very strong upside. :thumbup:

He won't be able to play hockey at school, but he can always go back and get the credits to get his degree.

Someone education me quickly as I do not know if I should be doing the happy dance or not

@DetroitRedWings

In 113 NCAA games at the University of Maine, Nyquist has tallied 144 points (50 goals, 94 assists) in addition to 68 penalty minutes.

Watched some videos and the kid is a burner too with great puck skill. Getting the time in the A is for sure the best possible move here. thumbup.gif Dance away.

Someone education me quickly as I do not know if I should be doing the happy dance or not

Highly skilled, very strong with the puck, sound defensively, I’ve seen him a few times and he’s just a very solid hockey player who you want on your team. Very exciting prospect, certainly one of our best.

I would be like a million times more excited aboot this if the Wings/GR had a center that would fit really well with him.

Grand Rapids has two of the highest scoring centre's in the league. I don't see the issue?

He's Zetterberg without the elite hockey sense or defense, but with better wheels. He seems to get a lot of breakaways at the college level. He was really a fantastic offensive guy at the college level, basically being Maine's franchise guy for the last 2 years. He should have won the Hobey last year, but Geoffrion's senior status put him over the top. Nyquist was the best player in college hockey by a long shot that year.

He probably won't be a first line type guy, but he could be a damn good 2nd liner. I could see him playing well with Tatar.

Edited by Slabby

Grand Rapids has two of the highest scoring centre's in the league. I don't see the issue?

I meant next year. I doubt Ilari Filppula will be there next year. And I'm guessing you mean Tardif or Pare as the other. I hope the Wings find a way to keep Tardif but I imagine that after this year he wants a better chance at the NHL. I don't see Pare coming back either.

I was wondering when this was gonna happen, staying in college would have been a year of development wasted if you ask me. Hopefully this guy lights it up in the A and we see him in Detroit sooner then later :thumbup: