• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukianDekes

Anze Kopitar breaks ankle, out 6 weeks

Rate this topic

Huge blow for them, especially this late in the season.

LOS ANGELES -- Kings scoring leader Anze Kopitar will be out approximately six weeks with a broken right ankle, coach Terry Murray said following a 4-1 victory Saturday afternoon against the visiting Colorado Avalanche.

The center was checked lightly by defenseman Ryan O'Byrne against the left boards in the Colorado zone before falling backward and twisting his knee with 4:21 left in the second. He scored his 26th goal of the season earlier in the game.

He remained on the ice for several moments before he was helped off by teammate Michal Handzus and a trainer, and was hunched over in severe pain when he went to the dressing room.

Kopitar, who appeared in his second All-Star Game last month, has played in a club-record 330 consecutive games.

The Kings were playing their second game without second-leading scorer Justin Williams , who suffered a dislocated right shoulder Monday against Calgary and will miss at least three to four weeks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/news/story?id=6261701

anze_65213.jpg

28bsnm8.jpg

Edited by darkmanx

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Huge blow to the Kings and their upcoming playoff run.

The Los Angeles Kings continued their playoff push but suffered yet another major blow to their offense.

Anze Kopitar, the team's leading scorer and the 10th-leading scorer in the NHL entering Saturday, suffered a broken right ankle during the Kings' 4-1 victory against the Colorado Avalanche at Staples Center and will be out at least six weeks, according to coach Terry Murray.

It is a cruel setback for the Kings, who lost top-line winger Justin Williams to a dislocated shoulder on Monday. Kopitar plays on both special teams units and had thrived since centering the newly acquired Dustin Penner on the top line.

"There's quite a hole that's going to be there now with him out of the lineup for this length of time," Murray said. "But you know what? I've been through these kinds of things before with top guys being out with injuries. It's an opportunity for other guys to step up. The character of the team needs to step up. You've got to trust your structure and your system and give it the best opportunity you can as a group to finish games off and play the right way."

Kopitar got tied up with Colorado defenseman Ryan O'Byrne in the corner with 4:21 to go in the second period. He did not put any weight on his right leg as he was helped off by teammates.

"He's our best player," captain Dustin Brown said. "We got to find a way, either way. We don't want to have your best player go down, but if that's the case, we need to shoulder the responsibility collectively and find a way because no one's going to feel sorry for us."

NHL

Guest Howard He Do It?!

This pretty much destroys any hope that LA had in the playoffs. He is by far their best player.

f*** indeed. I saw it happen watching the game tonight.

Kings lost their second leading scorer last week when Justin Williams went out with a dislocated shoulder. Now Kopi too.

They're a strong defensive team with good goaltending but they've had problem scoring goals all season, and now they lose their top two scorers, and two-thirds of their top line.

Seems like they'll make the playoffs, but after that, it doesn't look good.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Quick would like a word with you, Kopitar is there best player but Quick can steal games when he is on.

They've lost their top 2 scorers 8 games before the playoffs start. Quick better post a shutout every game to give the Kings a chance.

They've lost their top 2 scorers 8 games before the playoffs start. Quick better post a shutout every game to give the Kings a chance.

Didn't know that Williams was out for the Kings as well, so you are right. Quick may need to hold every team to one goal or get a shutout for them to win.

Watching the video it seems he has brittle ankles. Really, he barely moved and it just snapped. Either that or he turned just right to cause it. There is no way that check cause it is what I'm saying.

I think the "Spaghetti Leg" Rafalski thread should have been this one. :clap:

I hate this, because the Kings are my second favourite team in the West. Anze might be my favourite non Red wearing player, and it really stinks because the NHL is better off with a good team in LA.

However, they are now definitely the team I want to play in the first round. Give me the Kings without Anze as my poison pick.

Watching the video it seems he has brittle ankles. Really, he barely moved and it just snapped. Either that or he turned just right to cause it. There is no way that check cause it is what I'm saying.

I think the "Spaghetti Leg" Rafalski thread should have been this one. :clap:

Brittle ankles? Watch his right foot. Looks like he toe picks and his foot goes perpendicular to his leg and bends backwards. It's moving in a way ankles aren't supposed to move.

Really sucks for LA. I was hoping they'd make some progress in the playoffs this year, but now they're going to have more trouble scoring than they already do.

Brittle ankles? Watch his right foot. Looks like he toe picks and his foot goes perpendicular to his leg and bends backwards.

Yeah the vid I watched was crap quality. Definitely looks like he got caught on the ice with the toe of his skate.