• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Jimmy Howard injury

Rate this topic

Hope Jimmy's ok, for sure.

How did that goal even count? Lupul hit Howard in the crease and then sat on him. That's allowed?... We get goals called back by only hitting a goalie in the pads with the stick.

It's a rule in the CBA, I'm almost convinced of it. Something like Subsection 48.2, clause RW-G. "All goals scored while physically on top of the Red Wings goalie shall be counted, without possibility of review."

On an interesting side note, Subsection 48.3, clause TH says "If Tomas Holmstrom is even in the same building as the game being played, regardless of his status or availability to play in said game, any goal scored by the Red Wings can be waived off as Incidental Contact with the goalie. A penalty can be imposed, solely at the discretion of the referee...

...and Gary Bettman."

How did that goal even count? Lupul hit Howard in the crease and then sat on him. That's allowed?... We get goals called back by only hitting a goalie in the pads with the stick.

The Leafs have a history of getting away with goals while blatantly interfering with the goaltender.

Lol Joey McDonald. Yeah, were gonna go far with him. He's a Legace clone. The guys horrible let's be honest here.

f***in Osgood, how do you think your gonna be ready and not let us get a f***in replacement at the deadline. FFS.

Bah humbug backatchya. Let's just shoot 'em both and fake it the rest of the way. :nonono:

Saturday, March 26, 2011, 10:26 PM

Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said the injury to the goaltender Jimmy Howard does not appear to be significant.

Holland called it an upper-body injury.

"It doesn't appear to be anything significant, day-to-day,'' Holland said. "Looks like a strain or a sprain. He's going to go for a precautionary MRI, but he looked to be OK.''

He added: "Unless the tests come back anything different, doctors don't think so (it's serious).''

Holland said the club likely will recall somebody to back-up Joey MacDonald for Monday's game against Chicago.

MLive

Guest Shoreline

All that help, and they still haven't made the playoffs since 2004 or won the Cup since 1967.

If it's any consolation most people in Canada, who aren't Leafs fans, hate the team.

With all the superstition rampant in hockeyworld one thing I will not invoke is pointing out something you just did. :P

Edited by Shoreline

None of this would be a big deal if Ozzie wasn't hurt right now. I'd feel more confident with him starting than Howard. MacDonald has played no worse than those two, but I don't know how ready he is to be a starter going into the playoffs in Hockeytown.

However, we've seen teams go far recently with no name goalies. Just look at last year, especially with Philly, who kept rotating goalies all playoffs.

There's other players on the Wings I'd be more worried about being injured.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Wow! Really?

Wow what?

Howard has been poor this season. Osgood hasn't been spectacular, but he's certainly been no worse. He plays better when he's disrespected anyway. I'd feel better having him in the playoffs than Howard. He's proven people wrong before.

back to back games something like this has happened. Gimme a break refs. This was even more legitimate than the last, he was falling over before Draper even came close to touching him.

macdonald has been playing pretty good lately. he did excellent when jimmy was pulled vs pittsburgh, played great tonight. he is a good goalie.

i'm hoping maybe its a dislocation and can pop back into place, rest for awhile and be ok. i hope.

thats what babcock was saying when he was interviewed, about them calling back goals with homer supposeding in the crease

Edited by Jedi

Do you WATCH the games???

I agree, the few times he's played lately, he has looked stronger than Howard. People are acting like hasek in his prime just got injured, In my opinion, it's not much of a drop off, if any at this point.

Good news. Sorta.

DETROIT – Instead of celebrating his birthday with a win Saturday, Jimmy Howard needed help off the ice following a controversial play, which injured the Red Wings' 27-year-old goalie.

Howard needed to the Wings' bench during the third period of the Wings' 4-2 win in a heated Original Six rivalry game against the Toronto Maple Leafs at Joe Louis Arena.

It appeared that Howard injured his left shoulder on a Leafs' scoring that tied the game at 2, with 13:49 left in regulation. The Red Wings summed up Howard's status as an upper body injury.

Howard was hurt when Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul toppling over, landing on the left shoulder of the Wings' netminder. Lupul, who scored on the play, was stationed in front of the Wings' net, battling for position in the crease with Wings center Kris Draper.

Neither referee Bill McCreary nor Marcus Vinnerborg whistled the Maple Leafs' forward for goaltender interference, which puzzled Wings coach Mike Babcock.

"I saw their guy go in the crease – Lupul went into the crease – bumped into our guy, then Draper pushed him in, and after he fell on him," Babcock said. "I mean it's easy for us, we saw the replay ... The part I don't like is that when (Tomas) Holmstrom is near the net, the whistle goes and the goals are waived off, and they're allowed to fall on the goalie. It's one of those things that happen in hockey, and we need to make sure we're looking after the goalies."

Wings general manager Ken Holland spoke to the media following Saturday's game and said that at first glance, the injury to Howard doesn't appear to be serious, though team doctors still plan to order an MRI as a precaution.

Backup goalie Joey MacDonald came in and blanked the Maple Leafs in the final 13 minutes, stopping all seven shots that he faced in relief.

The Red Wings earned two big points in the standings after Jiri Hudler and Todd Bertuzzi (empty net) scored to lift them to a 4-2 victory over their Original Six archrivals.

"I thought Mac did a real good job," Babcock said. "They had a couple chances at the end there and he gave a real good poke-check when they were coming around the net and one of their guys fell, so it is what it is."

With only seven games left before the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs, the Wings don't need to be without Howard for an extended time. The Wings are already without veteran goalie Chris Osgood, who is still experiencing soreness following surgery to repair a sports hernia.

Edited by zombi

Wow what?

Howard has been poor this season. Osgood hasn't been spectacular, but he's certainly been no worse. He plays better when he's disrespected anyway. I'd feel better having him in the playoffs than Howard. He's proven people wrong before.

I don't know man, I doubt Ozzie's body can handle another 22 game playoff run. Plus we'll tighten up on D once the playoffs start, and Howard needs to get more playoff experience. Play the kid!

I don't know, I don't wish injuries on anyone. However, I have no faith in Howard what so ever!! This guy lets in beach balls, and still seems to give uo juicy rebounds as well as kicking rebounds into the slot! I understand MacDonald isn't the best of goalies, but he has been much more consistant and the team seems to play better in front of him! I'm really getting sick of the excuses from Howard to be honest!

Sorry, I feel this way, but I have no faith in Howie!

Guest Howard He Do It?!

This habit of loving the backup and hating the starter is getting old. This is an injury thread and people are essentially saying that they are happy that Howard is hurt and that a career backup is the better choice. Hell, people were discussing Howard's replacement on page one. Would the same occur in a Datsyuk injury thread or a Zetterberg injury thread? The truth is that very few respect the goaltender position around here and there is definitely a faction that hates Howard, just as there is one for Ozzie. Take your criticisms to the Howard watch thread where they belong. Absolutely pathetic behavior in here.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

Didn't look good at all, my first guess was a separated shoulder, which for a goalie, well...

MacDonald/Pearce combo come playoffs is a very real possibility...

This habit of loving the backup and hating the starter is getting old. This is an injury thread and people are essentially saying that they are happy that Howard is hurt and that a career backup is the better choice. Hell, people were discussing Howard's replacement on page one. Would the same occur in a Datsyuk injury thread or a Zetterberg injury thread? The truth is that very few respect the goaltender position around here and there is definitely a faction that hates Howard, just as there is one for Ozzie. Take your criticisms to the Howard watch thread where they belong. Absolutely pathetic behavior in here.

I wish I could + this on my phone...

Edited by stevkrause

You people need to understand Howard is a 2 year starter!!! For christ sake this isn't even close to the best that we are going to see him at. I think some time off will do him some good. I see him back in time for the playoffs and leading Detroit in another cup run.

it didnt look good at all. hes a tough kid but when you saw him get up and immediately start skating to the bench you know something bad happened. i also thought it was a seperated shoulder or some kind of shoulder/ collarbone injury. hopefully its just a bruise