• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Jimmy Howard injury

Rate this topic

Not good to say the least. I'm surprized the Canadian affiliates aren't saying that it's fitting since we took the playoffs from Toronto.

Fair weather fans in Detroit per usual though. If you didn't support Jimmy then who do you support? From the sounds of this board almost everybody is saying were doomed with Joey in net. Sheesh, let's see what happens huh? <_<

Distinct falling motion before being touched by Draper:

2s68235.png

Distinct let me try jumping into Howard because I got touched a little:

2mhhm9y.png

Different angle, clearly see the contact happens with the crease before hand:

2lue4xd.jpg

Obvious with this one...

205y58h.png

Anyways, IMO Rule 20ish about intentionally trying to injure a player game misconduct should of happened here, as soon as Lupul felt Draper touch him, he threw out his right leg and laid on Howard.

It's a rule in the CBA, I'm almost convinced of it. Something like Subsection 48.2, clause RW-G. "All goals scored while physically on top of the Red Wings goalie shall be counted, without possibility of review."

On an interesting side note, Subsection 48.3, clause TH says "If Tomas Holmstrom is even in the same building as the game being played, regardless of his status or availability to play in said game, any goal scored by the Red Wings can be waived off as Incidental Contact with the goalie. A penalty can be imposed, solely at the discretion of the referee...

...and Gary Bettman."

I'm with you here!! I was surprised not to see Gary listed as an assist on the Goal.

I'm upset about Jimmy's injury, but I have complete faith in JoeyMac, even without his NHL testing some people are calling for. You know why? because I'm not one of those doom-and-gloomers that are so prevalent in the Red Wings fan base! Win or lose I am a Red Wings fan - If their life just became a little harder in the playoffs, so what? THEY ARE THE RED WINGS!

I hope Jimmy is ok, and that he is able to return to the team. People bitching about the Red Wings not being contenders in the playoffs now are just as bad as Gary Bettman in my book. He took this league to a place where you have a superstar on a team and everyone else plays around them. Detroit s full of superstars and they play together. One player does not decide the fate of the team - the team does. So, look at what you're doing when you start bitching, because you're acting alot like Gary Bettman, and that is NOT a good idea.

I thought Jimmy has been looking better recently - yeah, he still has games like the Pens one, but it doesn't seem like they're as frequent as they were when we were having to score 4+ goals just to win there for a while. Also, I think the guy does better under pressure, weirdly enough, and with the playoffs coming up, I was really thinking he was starting to get it going. So I have faith in Howie, but I also have faith in Joey, too. He's looked pretty darn solid lately, and I hope that continues. I mean, we haven't really had enough time to see if he's consistent or if this has been a lucky streak, but from the little we have, he really does look like he's on top of things, so that makes me feel good. Hurry back, though, Howie...I like having at least a small safety net of knowing my two goalies both have experience playing with the team this year.

WOW poor Howie! And on his birthday too!? :( I hope hes doing okay, and hopefully can come back to us ASAP, with a healthy body. I missed the game, but it it didnt look like neither of those goals was his fault... um, ESPECIALLY the 2nd. It would be perfect to me to have Howie as a starter, and Ozzy as a backup jjust in time for the playoffs, but I'm not too sure if we'll get there, and thats getting me worried!

WOW poor Howie! And on his birthday too!? :( I hope hes doing okay, and hopefully can come back to us ASAP, with a healthy body. I missed the game, but it it didnt look like neither of those goals was his fault... um, ESPECIALLY the 2nd. It would be perfect to me to have Howie as a starter, and Ozzy as a backup jjust in time for the playoffs, but I'm not too sure if we'll get there, and thats getting me worried!

While that 2nd goal was highlight worthy and fun to watch, it was clearly interference against Howie IMHO. I hate to play this card, but if it was Homer in there instead of Lupul, it would have been waived a no goal.

I hope the injury is nothing serious, and Howie makes a quick recovery. I don't understand the Howard hate at all in this thread. I don't think Howard is at the top of his game yet, but this is only his 2nd full NHL season, the kid will improve.

I don't care who we have in net, its all about match ups and playing strong on defense. Last year we wore ourselves out to make the playoffs, and when we got to the playoffs we played two west coast teams. This year if we can match up with a Nashville or Chicago in the first round, we will be better off travel wise. We'll be fine, we still have two weeks before playoffs start, we'll see what happens. If Joey is our starter, he'll get alot of practice.

ALso, I just re-read this thread, and I completely agree:

This habit of loving the backup and hating the starter is getting old. This is an injury thread and people are essentially saying that they are happy that Howard is hurt and that a career backup is the better choice. Hell, people were discussing Howard's replacement on page one. Would the same occur in a Datsyuk injury thread or a Zetterberg injury thread? The truth is that very few respect the goaltender position around here and there is definitely a faction that hates Howard, just as there is one for Ozzie. Take your criticisms to the Howard watch thread where they belong. Absolutely pathetic behavior in here.

I'm so sick (and actually sad) of hearing the hate on howard, especially from wings fans..

Edited by LadyInRed

Funny thing is that I don't think too many people are mad at Lupul. He should have been more careful, but I don't think he intended to injure Howard.

I, like others, am very disappointed that goaltender interference has different thresholds for different players. Holmstrom merely just need to have his butt accidentally and momentarily brush up against a goalie and that will waive off a goal.

But then in this case Lupul skates into the crease, falls on top of Howard (with some assistance from Draper, but Lupul is the one that put himself leaning over the top of Jimmy) and then Lupul scores while laying on top of our goalie's head and somehow that isn't interference, but yet we have countless example of Holmstrom doing far less, sometimes Holmstrom doesn't even MAKE CONTACT with the goalie, and we get goals called back.

Pfffft!

What happens to referees that make clearly bad calls? Does the league take any action on them? We never hear about stuff like this.

Sad to see Howard out. I hope he doesn't miss significant time. While I think we are screwed with Howard, I still think we need him to be playing in the playoffs for us so that we can at least see what we have. I was expecting this playoffs to be the YAY or NAY for HOward. Nobody knows what MacDonald is. In the last 2 games he's played or taken over for us, he's been fantastic. But teams are not studying MacDonald. So, that may be why. What a great story that woudl be if he did take us far into the playoffs.

ALso, I just re-read this thread, and I completely agree:

I'm so sick (and actually sad) of hearing the hate on howard, especially from wings fans..

People need to give this guy a break. He's 27 in his second full season as a goalie for the Red Wings. The second toughest job in Detroit right next to being the closer for the Tigers or the quaterback for the Lions. Jimmy was great last year and with out him that longest playoff streak in history would have been snapped. He's playing at a high level right now hopefully he just needs to rest that shoulder.

What happens to referees that make clearly bad calls? Does the league take any action on them? We never hear about stuff like this.

Sad to see Howard out. I hope he doesn't miss significant time. While I think we are screwed with Howard, I still think we need him to be playing in the playoffs for us so that we can at least see what we have. I was expecting this playoffs to be the YAY or NAY for HOward. Nobody knows what MacDonald is. In the last 2 games he's played or taken over for us, he's been fantastic. But teams are not studying MacDonald. So, that may be why. What a great story that woudl be if he did take us far into the playoffs.

They're promoted for all we know. The inconsistency is astounding.

Don't know what day to day really means or implies anymore.

It's like the "upper body injury" thing. I'm sure you already know that no team, especially at this point in the season, wants to give anything away that could hurt their chances. It's maddening, but we probably won't know anything till the day or so before he's ready to come back. I hope his injury is minor. And who the hell wouldn't want all their playing goalies to be healthy and mostly injury-free?

Any other thought/hope is beyond comprehension. :blink:

Edited by Vladifan

Funny thing is that I don't think too many people are mad at Lupul. He should have been more careful, but I don't think he intended to injure Howard.

I, like others, am very disappointed that goaltender interference has different thresholds for different players. Holmstrom merely just need to have his butt accidentally and momentarily brush up against a goalie and that will waive off a goal.

But then in this case Lupul skates into the crease, falls on top of Howard (with some assistance from Draper, but Lupul is the one that put himself leaning over the top of Jimmy) and then Lupul scores while laying on top of our goalie's head and somehow that isn't interference, but yet we have countless example of Holmstrom doing far less, sometimes Holmstrom doesn't even MAKE CONTACT with the goalie, and we get goals called back.

Pfffft!

This is it. He was already in the crease when Draper hit him. HELLO?! :ranting:

If you look at things comparitively between that Goal by Lupul and the typical No-Goals by Holmstrom.. if Holmstrom had done the EXACT same thing as Lupul.. not only would it have been no-goal but probably a 5-Minute major and a game misconduct. :ph34r: