• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Jimmy Howard injury

Rate this topic

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Jimmy's FINE!!!!

cmccosky #RedWings goalie Jimmy Howard on shoulder injury: "I dodged a bullet." It's a sprain, could be back as soon as Wednesday.

:siren: :siren: :siren:

One group steps back from the ledge and another steps up to the ledge.

Excellent news for Jimmy! Don't rush back, but I'm very relieved given Ozzie's uncertainty!!!

My link

Red Wings' Jimmy Howard expects to return soon; Thomas McCollum recalled from Toledo

Published: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 1:22 PM Updated: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 1:29 PM

By Ansar Khan

DETROIT -- While his teammates practiced Sunday afternoon, Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard was in the training room at Joe Louis Arena receiving treatment on his sprained left shoulder.

His spirits were good. He is relieved that he did not suffer a serious injury Saturday night, when Toronto's Joffrey Lupul fell on top of him in the third period.

An MRI revealed no damage. Howard is listed as day-to-day. He is hoping to return for Wednesday's home game against St. Louis. That appears overly optimistic. But he is confident he'll play some games before the playoffs.

“I'll be ready for the playoffs. We got enough games left. Still a couple of weeks away,'' Howard said. "Hopefully this doesn't keep me out (too long). Hopefully I can come back possibly Wednesday. I'm going to do the best I can to try to get back as soon as possible, icing it like crazy and continue to work with (trainers).''

The club has recalled Thomas McCollum from Toledo (ECHL). He will dress as Joey MacDonald's backup for Monday's game against the Chicago Blackhawks at the Joe (7:30 p.m., Versus).

:scared: Just watched the play on youtube...this is just unfathomably frustrating. I cannot imagine how that could be considered anything besides goalie interference. Obviously, the refs were watching the play around the goal, so they can't use the excuse that they "just weren't looking."

There is just no excuse whatsoever.

Is this what it's come to? Our goalies can be blatantly run at with impunity, while opponents' goalies can come out and give Holmer a smack on the ass and #96 gets two minutes? I mean, isn't there some ******-nozzle in Toronto that sees these and thinks having two sets of rules might be, oh, you know, unjust?

We'll have to see if the Pengos are allowed to have eight skaters on the ice this year without a call. :angry:

:scared: Just watched the play on youtube...this is just unfathomably frustrating. I cannot imagine how that could be considered anything besides goalie interference. Obviously, the refs were watching the play around the goal, so they can't use the excuse that they "just weren't looking."

There is just no excuse whatsoever.

Is this what it's come to? Our goalies can be blatantly run at with impunity, while opponents' goalies can come out and give Holmer a smack on the ass and #96 gets two minutes? I mean, isn't there some ******-nozzle in Toronto that sees these and thinks having two sets of rules might be, oh, you know, unjust?

We'll have to see if the Pengos are allowed to have eight skaters on the ice this year without a call. :angry:

I hear ya, and Babs is equally frustrated. Kenny needs to get on the phone with the league and get this issue solved for the playoffs.

Very good news that Howard isn't seriously hurt. He was playing well in the Toronto game before the injury. I'll be among those who'll criticize for a bad goal against or sloppy rebound control, but this is only his second NHL season, and I think it's easy to lose sight of that. I hope they sit him for a couple of games to make sure he's healed up properly. Part of me thinks that maybe he's running a bit low in the fuel tank so the enforced rest will do him some good.

LOL!!! C'mon Jimmy, put on a shoulder brace and get out there tomorrow night against the Hawks!

Link - Shoulder Sprain Overview

Treatment for a shoulder spain includes:

Rest—Avoid using your injured arm.

Ice—Apply ice or a cold pack to the shoulder for 15-20 minutes, four times a day for at least 2-3 days. This helps reduce pain and swelling. Wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel. Do not apply the ice directly to your skin.

Medication—First, consult your doctor if you have any questions about using medicines. Common over-the-counter medicines include: ibuprofen , naproxen , acetaminophen , and aspirin . Also available are topical pain medicines (eg, creams, patches) that are applied to the skin.

Brace or sling—You may need to wear a sling to immobilize your arm and shoulder. If you play sports, you may need to wear a shoulder brace when you return to play.

Rehabilitation exercises—Begin exercises to restore flexibility, range of motion, and strength in your shoulder as recommended by your healthcare professional. Sometimes electrical stimulation is used to aid recovery.

Surgery—is not always needed to repair a mild shoulder sprain without instability or dysfunction. In certain athletes, earlier surgery may be considered to avoid recurrent injury.

Edited by sixer

Why is McCollum called up? Anyone know how this works? Why wouldn't they just go with the AHL guy every time since he's clearly the better or more experienced goalie being that he's in the AHL?

I think it is due to cap issues, thats why they had to sign that guy to a tryout.

I think it is due to cap issues, thats why they had to sign that guy to a tryout.

With Osgood LTIR'd and Mursak back down, they can accomidate Pearce without an issue... McCollum's caphit is actually higher anyway... I think it more has to do with the Wings brass having no intention of the call up playing, unless we're getting blown out as a relief appearance AND the hope is still that McCollum is more in our long term plans due to his high draft stock, so "dangle a carrot" so to speak to light a fire under him, WHILE at the same time, not impeding GR, by taking their starting goalie away from them when they're still clawing for the last playoff spot in a very tight Western Conference in the AHL...

Edited by stevkrause

Not saying Joey can carry us to the promised land, but I think he can at least do what he needs to for the remainder of the regular season. IIRC, he hasn't given up a goal in regulation in his last 4 games now.

You know what you just did there right? :ph34r: