• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

T.Low

Toronto fans Fight Night at The Joe?

Rate this topic

You obviously don't know what Leaf fans are like :lol:. A lot of them are loud mouths, they've self proclaimed their city "The Mecca of Hockey", and are envious of the Red Wings.

I'm quite aware that the Sun and Universe revolve around Toronto. I grew up taking the train from Detroit to Maple Leaf Gardens to see Wings and Laffs games in the 60's and 70's. I'm just stating, in a tougue in cheek way, that Wings fans aren't always the angels that we would like to believe we are. I've been to a lot of games over the years, and can say that we have started our fair share of fights, both home and away. I can't tell you how many times that friends and I started some of them during the mid 70's through the mid 80's. The old Chicago Stadium still has 3 of my teeth from one drunken night about 1982 where I started s*** with a few too many people. Fights in the stands are good, as long as innocent bystanders don't get hurt. I haven't seen The Joe jumping like last night in years. It was good to see that we haven't become TOO complacent as fans, that we fail to remind visitors whos house they're in.

sidenote- I wish there was a sarcasm font. It would make being snarky a little bit easier. :D

[/b]

It sure is, I'd say from about London down it is about 50/50. I live in London and know entire families of wings fans who have been fans for generations, my grandfathers favorite player was Gordie Howe. I also see a lot of younger kids around town as well wearing wings gear, which is a good thing IMO. When I was a kid I got made fun of for being a wings fan, but I sure had the last laugh. I got a lot of buddies that are wings fans and when we go to the bar to watch the playoff games we always got leaf fans chirping us lol

Needless to say, the fights don't surprise me. This is a huge rivalry in Southwestern Ontario and it always will be. When I went to the home opener in the banner raising ceremony I saw several fights as well.

Thanks Gary.

I'm from London as well , and i 100% vouch this message.

different game but i was at the Pitts game last monday and there was a pretty good brawl in the stands. I wanted to fight the Pitts fans sitting next to me but it was a little girl and her dad so i had to be nice. haha

Cindy and Gary were at the game? Didja ask her how her head was?

I was at the game Saturday and I scored Tickets at the last minute. I told my sister that there will be soooo many fights in the stands, she did not believe me until we saw it first hand.

After the broken pane of glass in the second period, all the players were standing at thier benches, when all of a sudden a loud roar came up from the crowd, I thought something broke out between the benches and as I was panning around, I looked up at the crowd and by that time everyone was standing and cheering the fight in the stands. Two guys (one Wings fan and Leafs fan) going toe to toe!

Later on while in the bathroom, another fight nearly started between a Leafs and Wings; but that was stopped quickly, I think both were scared at the thought of the loser getting a swirlie :cool:

Great night and a Great atmosphere at the Joe Saturday Night! We need to play these guys more often. :thumbup:

They should have a dollar beer night the next time Toronto comes in. That would be fun.

You might be on to something Blueliner! I could only imagine what would have been if Saturday Night would have been dollar beer night! :yowza:

You'd be hard-pressed to find anybody in here I think who doesn't want to play Toronto and pretty much all the O-6 teams in the Eastern Conference more. I am no exception. Love it when we play Toronto. Every fan base in every city is going to have their share of moronic fans, neither city here is the exception to the norm.

I get the fun-ness of rivalries, I can take playful ribbing and jokes and the like, but taking it to physical levels is beyond stupid, I'm sorry. There's just a matter of taking things too far. Watching sports is a big deal for me but a lot of people aren't going to like my favorite teams, the school I went to, whatever. It's not worth it to try to change these people's minds because they're always going to think like this or have an obnoxious disliking. That's their choice whether it is accurate or just plain obnoxious, I'll leave them to think that.

You can rib on me or verbally taunt me all you want. Just about every time I'm either going to ignore you or just laugh at you, because it's not worth my time. You try to get in a physical fight with me or throw things at me when I'm always going to mind my own business and not initiate, that might be different but even then it's probably still not worth getting kicked out and throwing your money away to see a game over a fan altercation.

I can recall two fan altercations in my life, one at a college football game and it was just stupid, somebody just threw a beverage on somebody else and then they went at it. While I don't blame the dumpee for fighting back obviously, it could've easily been avoided if the two would've just eventually shut up and walked in the opposite direction. The other I was at a college basketball game when I was probably no more than 11 or 12 years old, it was against one of the best teams in the country at that time, and the school I was rooting for nearly pulled off a monumental upset but we were headed for the exits with about 15 seconds left when the game was all but over. I leaned over the railing for a final look at the game and got a projectile thrown at me by a grown-up to lean back. I lost it briefly but it wasn't worth going at it with an adult who was also frustrated that his team was going to lose. I eventually let it go and walked for the exits.

And for the record, I was lucky enough to come up for a Wings-Maple Leafs game in 2006 or 2007 and did not even come close to seeing one fan fight, and it wasn't worth the time to possibly seek any out.

If you think this means, no taunting, no fun or that I'm above this, well I'm sorry. I get it, I support it, I won't stop you as long as you aren't going overboard, it's just usually not my cup of tea. I can't be any more specific.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Worst fight I saw at the Joe in 3 years of attending games was between a Sharks fan and some Wings fans. But it didn't really get too bad. This sounded like it was a mini war. Perhaps you need to close bridge to Windsor when Leafs are in-town.

They should have a dollar beer night the next time Toronto comes in. That would be fun.

Oh please this. :lol: Really though, games like that are just what hockey is all about and the more the NHL figures that out....

Ah, the hell with it. Just something that March 26 date that brings out the best of games isn't it?

I'm quite aware that the Sun and Universe revolve around Toronto. I grew up taking the train from Detroit to Maple Leaf Gardens to see Wings and Laffs games in the 60's and 70's. I'm just stating, in a tougue in cheek way, that Wings fans aren't always the angels that we would like to believe we are. I've been to a lot of games over the years, and can say that we have started our fair share of fights, both home and away. I can't tell you how many times that friends and I started some of them during the mid 70's through the mid 80's. The old Chicago Stadium still has 3 of my teeth from one drunken night about 1982 where I started s*** with a few too many people. Fights in the stands are good, as long as innocent bystanders don't get hurt. I haven't seen The Joe jumping like last night in years. It was good to see that we haven't become TOO complacent as fans, that we fail to remind visitors whos house they're in.

sidenote- I wish there was a sarcasm font. It would make being snarky a little bit easier. :D

Fair enough. I just wonder in this situation it seems more likely it would be started by Leaf fans, they're the frustrated ones, not us. If roles were reversed, I could see Wings fans starting it.