• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:50 PM

Well, although he was on the bronze medal winning team in Nagano that was his only Olympic appearance and he played only 6 Olympic games total finishing with 2 points. I know he did far more than just score points, but still.

Now that I look at it, I don't think Kurri should be there either. I just kinda assumed he was an obvious choice, but there could be better choices - guys who never played in the NHL for example.

Given the number of Finns to pick from I am knowledgable about, I would put both on there without a second thought. Kurri did play with Gretzky, but he was WILDLY skilled on his own.

A first line of Kurri and Selanne flanking Olli Jokinen is what I would use; his size provides a dimension the Koivus don't have. I would also dispute the inclusion of both Ruutu and Kapanen. They're not bottom six players, even in international hockey. We've already added Tikkanen, so let's put in Jussi Jokinen, who is much better defensively than either Ruutu or Sami Kapanen. Move Hagman to the fourth line in Sami's place, with Tikkanen joining the third line and vastly improving it. Finally, the second line would be J. Jokinen/Koivu/Koivu. Pick your own Koivu to center the line; but it would probably be Saku.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#22 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

Given the number of Finns to pick from I am knowledgable about, I would put both on there without a second thought. Kurri did play with Gretzky, but he was WILDLY skilled on his own.

A first line of Kurri and Selanne flanking Olli Jokinen is what I would use; his size provides a dimension the Koivus don't have. I would also dispute the inclusion of both Ruutu and Kapanen. They're not bottom six players, even in international hockey. We've already added Tikkanen, so let's put in Jussi Jokinen, who is much better defensively than either Ruutu or Sami Kapanen. Move Hagman to the fourth line in Sami's place, with Tikkanen joining the third line and vastly improving it. Finally, the second line would be J. Jokinen/Koivu/Koivu. Pick your own Koivu to center the line; but it would probably be Saku.

Yeah, well I based that team on Olympic performances (because it's an Olympic team, obviously). Now that I re-read the original post I realized it was more about creating the ultimate team, not necessary the best team out of players based on what they've done in the Olympics.

That's why Kapanen is there as well, instead of Jokinen. I also think Kapanen was a good two-way player, used to play defenseman every now and then, had amazing speed.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#23 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, well I based that team on Olympic performances (because it's an Olympic team, obviously). Now that I re-read the original post I realized it was more about creating the ultimate team, not necessary the best team out of players based on what they've done in the Olympics.

That's why Kapanen is there as well, instead of Jokinen. I also think Kapanen was a good two-way player, used to play defenseman every now and then, had amazing speed.

Not disputing his speed, just his defensive awareness. He always seemed kind of lost in his own zone. Jussi's not quite as fast, but a much better overall player.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#24 Pepist

Pepist

Rookie

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:09 AM

Tough to add players from older days, but here goes for Sweden (feels like I've made some glaring omissions but there you are):

sundin - forsberg - näslund
sedin - sedin - håkan loob
sven tumba johansson - zetterberg - kent nilsson
franzen - bäckström - alfredsson

lidström - salming
kronwall - kenny jönsson
öhlund - norström

Pelle Lindbergh
Henrik Lundqvist
Pekka Lindmark

#25 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:38 AM

Tough to add players from older days, but here goes for Sweden (feels like I've made some glaring omissions but there you are):

sundin - forsberg - näslund
sedin - sedin - håkan loob
sven tumba johansson - zetterberg - kent nilsson
franzen - bäckström - alfredsson

lidström - salming
kronwall - kenny jönsson
öhlund - norström

Pelle Lindbergh
Henrik Lundqvist
Pekka Lindmark

I am a little surprised Franzen made your list. Not because I can think of somebody better but only because I just don't imagine him in the all-time lineup.

Your proposal confirms that I suspected the all-time lineup would look somewhat like the '06 gold medal team.

Thanks for replying!